What the hell are we here?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
This is a thread to emphasize why we are here in the DR.. Please do not post anything negative because nobody gives a ****.

Here are my reasons:

Freedom, good people, beautiful beaches with available parking, NATURE, being able to help people less fortunate, be closer to my ethnic roots, less red tape in business (more duct tape tho), people actually owning what they have, jarabacoa, la vega, santiago, the capital, being able to find other bachata musicians more easily, women actually respect men here, women actually try to look good for their man here, cockfighting, people taking care of each other , having more family close by, higher quality produce and some meats (at a better cost), more intact natural settings, island time, island time, island time, carnaval, i prefer the taste of milk here ( i heard it is just reconstituted powdered milk but it tastes great, listamilk), choco rica, galletas de mani, general carino for one another (I spent 3 days and nights in a hospital with a friend who had a friend who had a stroke, she would not let me leave and said she would not leave since the chinese man who had the stroke had nobody here, i was in shock but i stayed with her anyways, could not believe someone could care so much about someone they didn't know well, and don't bring any novio BS in this thread, i'm dominican and know how it works, the chinese man was her boss and he was transfered here and had no family to visit him) , the stars (not sure if it has to do with elevation or something here because they are so clear).

These are all the reasons I am here after having lived in San Diego, Ca, and Miami, Fl.. What are yours?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
WHOA........take a breath.

Sorry, I kind of wrote that for myself also, I was having some random thoughts about moving to the US and how it would be.. and I had to have it all in writing for myself, and came to the conclusion there's no way in hell I'm going back :) Also, if mods would be so kind as to delete any posts where negative things are posted, we can keep this on top to help encourage others.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Quite interesting. I think you might have possible covered it all too. BTW, your friend (girl) is "good people".

I'm here because my Mocana couldn't deal with the the US and all it's stresses. We thought about going back but Obama resolved that pretty quickly - there are no jobs for a white engineer back home pushing 50 with little management experience.

So now I'm stuck here getting a masters so I can teach and trying to teach my three daughter's that speaking with the "i" is what they do in the "campo" - really. I do it as well btw :)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Sorry, I kind of wrote that for myself also, I was having some random thoughts about moving to the US and how it would be.. and I had to have it all in writing for myself, and came to the conclusion there's no way in hell I'm going back :) Also, if mods would be so kind as to delete any posts where negative things are posted, we can keep this on top to help encourage others.
Why the censorship, living here brings good and bad things. Why encourage people with a lie.

I'm here because my wife is Dominican. We tried living here, we tried living in my country and decided to go back here. WE, after 2,5 year still doubt that decision.

I'm here because: freedom in work (easier to make a living without living the rat race), my wife seems happier here, the weather is better than in Holland, not such an overorganized country, I can drive a jeepeta here, I can have a maid to cook, wash dishes, clean and do laundry.

I'm here even though: life is at least twice as expensive as in Holland, lying- and cheating culture, ignorance, selfishness (if I want to make music at 1.00 am at high volume in my house I do it no matter the neighbors), insecurity in the streets at night (but Danilo is gonna fix that), the wearer (too hot , half of the year), mediocre or bad education, unless you can afford the most expensive schools, and then still it's below European standards.

We, with the knowledge we have now, would have stayed in Holland, but it's. It that bad to have the hassle and trauma again of an international moving with small children. Encouraging others to make the step and come here, no, I wouldn't do that to them.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Why the censorship, living here brings good and bad things. Why encourage people with a lie.

I'm here because my wife is Dominican. We tried living here, we tried living in my country and decided to go back here. WE, after 2,5 year still doubt that decision.

I'm here because: freedom in work (easier to make a living without living the rat race), my wife seems happier here, the weather is better than in Holland, not such an overorganized country, I can drive a jeepeta here, I can have a maid to cook, wash dishes, clean and do laundry.

I'm here even though: life is at least twice as expensive as in Holland, lying- and cheating culture, ignorance, selfishness (if I want to make music at 1.00 am at high volume in my house I do it no matter the neighbors), insecurity in the streets at night (but Danilo is gonna fix that), the wearer (too hot , half of the year), mediocre or bad education, unless you can afford the most expensive schools, and then still it's below European standards.

We, with the knowledge we have now, would have stayed in Holland, but it's. It that bad to have the hassle and trauma again of an international moving with small children. Encouraging others to make the step and come here, no, I wouldn't do that to them.

Your post wasn't even read after the word laundry, I would appreciate this entire post deleted, there are entire threads about the negatives and I don't care what you have to say about it here.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010

BINGO!!

Hey, I love the Dominican Republic as much as the next guy..........

But let's not get crazy......

Feb 7, 2007
To the OP: You would have to be on super good terms with Robert for him to even consider removing negative unless the negative goes beyond certain acceptance limit (racism, religion, name calling, etc.) Other than that, the powers that be have expressed repeatedly that they do not delete valid posts that have not infringed upon any of DR1 rules, just becaus ethe OP want them deleted in "his thread".

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sayanora,

I am glad you are happy and content here.
Sounds like you live a simple, carefree life.

You ask that a "Mod" delete, in your opinion, a negative post by Mauricio,
... yet Chip's post is also negative, just that his is negative about the U.S.

Oh, I get it, no negativity about the D.R., but it's okay to be negative about other folks home countries.

Your (Mauricio's) post wasn't even read after the word laundry, I would appreciate this entire post deleted

Do you "really" think we believe you did not read past the word laundry?

there are entire threads about the negatives and I don't care what you (Mauricio) have to say about it here.

You express a very prejudice mindset in your posts.
How can you be so negative about others?
Closing your eyes to others won't change things, the bad will still be there when you open your eyes again.

Please do not post anything negative because nobody gives a ****.

Evidently, you do!

higher quality produce

Love that one, but try buying good fruit, it spoils by the time you get it home from the store.

Now I get your entire post, we are to accept everything you say as Gospel, less we be smitten with deletion.

Saying something is "Good" can be negative to the truth!

These have been my "Positive" thoughts about your thread.

CENSORSHIP: Only allowing your views to be posted.

Last edited:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Ok.. you guys really took my asking a mod to delete negative posts too seriously lol. It was just an attempt to get people to post POSITIVE things about the DR, which obviously did not work. The only other person that has posted a positive was Chip, I think a lot of people need to get ready for a move . Regarding your produce spoiling by the time you get home, do you really thing that is a sign of lower quality produce? Time to do some research pal.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I come from an island so it is not beaches and palm trees that I like I like the mountains and rivers ! I love the freedom I have here Bermuda is nice but very stuck up in my opinion. I like the fact that you can walk down the street drinking a beer and no one cares !!!(I dont drink anymore) I love the people not the Dpmincans in the tourists areas or the stuck up middle and rich class (even though i have friends in all 3 of those catorgaries) I like the Domincans in the small towns and mountains the ones who invite you into thier house offer you a cup of coffee and tell you stories of the country from years ago. Some expats may find it exspensive here but coming from Bermuda this place is very cheap m,y mom is here at the moment and we have been shopping a few times and she can not belive how much stuff we buy that in Bermuda would cost 2 or 3 times as much ! Things like fuel are too exspensive but hec,k in Bermda fuel is 8.75 a gallon (fuel should come down in price here ) I love the beautiful women here all types from dark skin to white and everything in between !!! I really do love the country but I am under no delusion with freedom comes positive and negative results !

Ok.. you guys really took my asking a mod to delete negative posts too seriously lol. It was just an attempt to get people to post POSITIVE things about the DR, which obviously did not work. The only other person that has posted a positive was Chip, I think a lot of people need to get ready for a move . Regarding your produce spoiling by the time you get home, do you really thing that is a sign of lower quality produce? Time to do some research pal.

Mods are not going to delete

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I come from an island so it is not beaches and palm trees that I like I like the mountains and rivers ! I love the freedom I have here Bermuda is nice but very stuck up in my opinion. I like the fact that you can walk down the street drinking a beer and no one cares !!!(I dont drink anymore) I love the people not the Dpmincans in the tourists areas or the stuck up middle and rich class (even though i have friends in all 3 of those catorgaries) I like the Domincans in the small towns and mountains the ones who invite you into thier house offer you a cup of coffee and tell you stories of the country from years ago. Some expats may find it exspensive here but coming from Bermuda this place is very cheap m,y mom is here at the moment and we have been shopping a few times and she can not belive how much stuff we buy that in Bermuda would cost 2 or 3 times as much ! Things like fuel are too exspensive but hec,k in Bermda fuel is 8.75 a gallon (fuel should come down in price here ) I love the beautiful women here all types from dark skin to white and everything in between !!! I really do love the country but I am under no delusion with freedom comes positive and negative results !

Thanks a lot for your post Bermy, I can really agree about the dominicans in small towns and mountain areas. One time I was taking my cousin from the capital to Salto de Jimenoa in Jarabacoa, and some old people flagged us down for no reason. She got really scared and antsy and didn't know what they wanted. Turns out the old lady just wanted to give us some coffee and talk chismes con "los de afuera" (out of towners). It was really a culture shock for her and she realized a lot learning these type of people lived in her own country.