NEED TO RENEW DRIVERS LICENCE .. Anyone know precisely what you Do

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
RENEWAL OF LICENCE IN A MONTH COMING ANY ONE RENEWED LATELY FROM THE NORTH COAST OR WHEREVER ? just want to know how much , and any details so not a few trips. Thank you

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Renewals for those on the north coast in the Sosua/Cabarete/Puerto Plata area done in Puerto Plata at the Transit office on the right side and down the side street that goes by the Palace of Justice heading toward the Malecon and not at a driving school. When my wife renewed last year it was 850 pesos which I think we had to pay at BanReservas. It was a very simple process in and out in a less than 5 minutes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Chances are the driving school will do it all for you... VIP, run to the bank, arrange an appt if needed.

I did basically that for my license. He went everywhere, drove w/ me to get the license, did everything.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windeguy,
Your wife speaks good spanish ? So it would be easy for someone with that capability but for those of us without it is diffcult.

Arrugula,
There is a sticky somewhere on DR1 that details how to do it and as many have said the Office is in POP

Personally I would use a "Facilitator" to do this but it will cost a little more. If you are over 65 you need an eye test certificate too! Dont forget you need a Cedula!

Olly and the team

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I just tried to renew my drivers licence, upv to it all went wrong it was dead simple. Go into a Ban Reservas branch and tell them you want to renew your licence asking them how much? I paid around 1000 pesos and they gave me two pieces of paper. a few days later I caught the guagua from Las Terrenas to SD, got a taxi and went to the Department of Transport. At the information desk they directed me to another desk where I handed in the two bits of paper and my driving licenceI also took with me my cedula, residencia and passport, just in case. They directed me to two rooms nearby where I was to have an eye test, you stand with your back to a wall and read letters they point to. Here?s where it all went wrong for me, I?d forgotten my driving glasses! They said - go and see an optician and come back another day- I shall go back soon.

I

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Where can you buy a license without all the waiting, lines, chasing forms, testing, etc.?

Thats my suggestion of the driving school.... they did it all for me... I wasn't even allowed to hit the answer button on the computer!! They answered all the questions including getting a couple wrong to knock me out the 'genius' category.

Costs a bit extra, not much and is rapido - no standing on line.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I just tried to renew my drivers licence, upv to it all went wrong it was dead simple. Go into a Ban Reservas branch and tell them you want to renew your licence asking them how much? I paid around 1000 pesos and they gave me two pieces of paper. a few days later I caught the guagua from Las Terrenas to SD, got a taxi and went to the Department of Transport. At the information desk they directed me to another desk where I handed in the two bits of paper and my driving licenceI also took with me my cedula, residencia and passport, just in case. They directed me to two rooms nearby where I was to have an eye test, you stand with your back to a wall and read letters they point to. Here?s where it all went wrong for me, I?d forgotten my driving glasses! They said - go and see an optician and come back another day- I shall go back soon.

I
You should have told them that you forgot your glasses, for some extra RD$200.00 they read the letters for you...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is very simple to do even if you speak basic Spanish.

1. Go into bano de reservas tell them what you want to pay for and pay 830RD$'
2. Take receipt, glasses, Cedula and existing licence and go to POP.
3. Turn right at roundabout before the court, right again into like an inner ring road, drive round it and licence centre on right. Ask if lost.
4. Wait maybe max an hour. Read Spanish book to pass time and practise speaking with another people.
5. Leave with new licence and some new words of vocabulary.

Website: MOPC - Ministerio de Obras P?blicas y Comunicaciones

Para la Renovaci?n de Licencia de Conducir

C?dula de Identidad y Electoral Nacional o Extranjera vigente

Recibo del pago realizado en el Banco de Reservas por concepto de impuestos y servicios.

Examen de la vista realizado en las oficinas de la DGTT, sede central y regionales

Carnet de Licencia vencido

Matilda

Jan 17, 2009
Granca,

Was the test with both eyes open, or one eye at a time? I'm very interested in this. I have mono vision and my opfhtalmologist says I don't need glasses at all, but I couldn't pass a vision test one eye at a time, both need to be open. Thanks

I

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Granca,

Was the test with both eyes open, or one eye at a time? I'm very interested in this. I have mono vision and my opfhtalmologist says I don't need glasses at all, but I couldn't pass a vision test one eye at a time, both need to be open. Thanks
RD$200.00, one eye, two eyes or blind...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you are to do the eye test in POP - do not fear. the exam is done in a tiny office, you wait for your turn sitting against the wall and watching other people get asked about the second line from the top. then you get to sit the test yourself - about two meters from the board, and you have to "read" the same line that was read out loud 10 times over while you waited.
they did not even ask me if i wear contact lenses (i do).
easy peasy and lots of fun!

at least i hope so. i did my license 4 years ago. up for renewal this october. but i doubt anything has changed...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Matilda has it correct. Olly your spanish is just fine for the renewal process you do not really need a facilatator. In fact two of the people at the desk in PP spoke perfect English.
Do remember to pay your fee at the bank before going to the DL office. I found that if I went at 8:30 in the morning the proccess took about 15 including my "eye" test.
Easiest process i have encountered here yet.

Bob K