Anthony Bourdain in the DR

Caballero

Jul 8, 2011
My wife and I used to always try to guess where Tony would go to, and what would he feast on, if he ever traveled here - MonteChristi Chivo el Oregano? Santiago Pico Pollo or Chulea Frito? North Coast Congrejo con Picante? Constanza Vegetal con Frutas? Our dreams have been realized - Thanks Tony!!

vida

Mar 18, 2010
Thanks, I really like this program. I like the idea that he is a real food pro but visits the whole spectrum of places to eat teaching about a culture through their food.

May 29, 2006
You can see the show on Netflix. My favorite is where he goes back to the kitchen he worked at in NYC when he wrote his book and tries to work a double on the line. He's the only guy in the kitchen who isn't Hispanic. Looking forward to his take on Dominican food, and I hope he gives Mamajuana a try.

Dec 26, 2011
Here's what he had to say about the importance of learning Spanish(smart man) in his book Kitchen Confidential:

2. Learn Spanish! I can't stress this enough. Much of the workforce in the industry you are about to enter is Spanish-speaking. The very backbone of the industry, whether you like it or not, is inexpensive Mexican, Dominican, Salvadorian and Ecuadorian labor-most of whom could cook you under the table without breaking a sweat. If you can't communicate, develop relationships, understand instructions and pass them along, then you are at a tremendous disadvantage.
Should you become a leader, Spanish is absolutely essential.
Also, learn as much as you can about the distinct cultures, histories and geographies of Mexico, El Salvador, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic. A cook from Puebla is different in background from a cook from Mexico City. Someone who fled El Salvador to get away from the Mano Blanco is not likely to get along with the right-wing Cuban working next to him. These are your co-workers, your friends, the people you will be counting on, leaning on for much of your career, and they in turn will be looking to you to hold up your end. Show them some respect by bothering to know them. Learn their language. Eat their food. It will be personally rewarding and professionally invaluable.

He also speaks of a Dominican employee he worked with at Brasserie Les Halles with great fondness and admiration. I'm looking forward to the episode.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A few weeks ago a friend sent me an email with a photo of Bourdain holding a Presidente bottle. It was tweeted by someone who took the photo with a cellphone. I say he was off to a good start. The show was filmed a few months ago.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
como me lo pude perder, soy fanatico de este tipo especialmente porque yo fui Busboy, dishwasher, waiter and manager at Applebees in the USA and what he says in his book is so right that leaves no room to be wrong. I work all over the USA, from Keys, Miami beach to, Virginia, New Orleans, Austin Tx and WDC as well as MD and Cape Cod.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Being a in the service industry was a good experience for me because I met so many people of all kinds, from Junkies to Professionals. I had the honor to served the Clintons family, Julio Iglesia and Oscar de La Renta at their Punta Cana beach houses

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Tony Bourdain is a character. Great guy loves to party, like all actors can get a lbit ****y but he is lots of fun. He came to my restaurant with some other people in the business one night. Guy can drink like he has a hollow leg. I guarantee that will be a great show.

May 29, 2006
There is a lot of truth in the Kitchen Confidential book, though a lot of it deals with his serious drug issues and thankfully getting clean. I've worked with other cooks who ended up in prison from their drug/alcohol use- one who even stole the cash box from the place I was working at.

Many places won't hire CIA trained cooks because they have too much ego-- they'd rather go with some inexperienced guy who does what he's told without any backtalk, isn't afraid to clean the fryers and will work doubles on call. I find it amazing that one of the biggest demands for Hispanic cooks seem to be in Korean restaurants.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
This may have been covered. If so, my apologies for bringing it up again.

Travel Channel's "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - The Final Tour" airs on Sept 3rd, and brings him to the DR:

No Reservations: The Final Tour Sneak Peek Pictures

Tonight's the night, folks. And for those of you who think there's no such thing as Dominican cuisine, well, click here:

Dominican Cooking – Food, recipes, dishes and culinary culture

And you can even order this: AUNT CLARA LIKES - Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will check it out. And I for one will miss his world tours since this is his final season.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Today's schedule for Aster in Santo Domingo on Discovery TLC (channel 208) has two Anthony Bourdain shows

2:00 PM Hong Kong from season 3 which originally aired in September 2007

9:00 PM Ecuador from season 6 which originally aired in March 2010