Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anthony Bourdain in the DR

This may have been covered. If so, my apologies for bringing it up again.

Travel Channel's "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - The Final Tour" airs on Sept 3rd, and brings him to the DR:

No Reservations: The Final Tour Sneak Peek Pictures

2. Likes pollogringo, siegs, agw liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    This may have been covered. If so, my apologies for bringing it up again.

Travel Channel's "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - The Final Tour" airs on Sept 3rd, and brings him to the DR:

No Reservations: The Final Tour Sneak Peek Pictures
    Wow, awesome!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I used to always try to guess where Tony would go to, and what would he feast on, if he ever traveled here - MonteChristi Chivo el Oregano? Santiago Pico Pollo or Chulea Frito? North Coast Congrejo con Picante? Constanza Vegetal con Frutas? Our dreams have been realized - Thanks Tony!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I really like this program. I like the idea that he is a real food pro but visits the whole spectrum of places to eat teaching about a culture through their food.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucifer,
    Which channel on De Lancer ?

Olly

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I like his food programs. Looking forward to see this one as well.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You can see the show on Netflix. My favorite is where he goes back to the kitchen he worked at in NYC when he wrote his book and tries to work a double on the line. He's the only guy in the kitchen who isn't Hispanic. Looking forward to his take on Dominican food, and I hope he gives Mamajuana a try.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's what he had to say about the importance of learning Spanish(smart man) in his book Kitchen Confidential:

2. Learn Spanish! I can't stress this enough. Much of the workforce in the industry you are about to enter is Spanish-speaking. The very backbone of the industry, whether you like it or not, is inexpensive Mexican, Dominican, Salvadorian and Ecuadorian labor-most of whom could cook you under the table without breaking a sweat. If you can't communicate, develop relationships, understand instructions and pass them along, then you are at a tremendous disadvantage.
    Should you become a leader, Spanish is absolutely essential.
    Also, learn as much as you can about the distinct cultures, histories and geographies of Mexico, El Salvador, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic. A cook from Puebla is different in background from a cook from Mexico City. Someone who fled El Salvador to get away from the Mano Blanco is not likely to get along with the right-wing Cuban working next to him. These are your co-workers, your friends, the people you will be counting on, leaning on for much of your career, and they in turn will be looking to you to hold up your end. Show them some respect by bothering to know them. Learn their language. Eat their food. It will be personally rewarding and professionally invaluable.
    He also speaks of a Dominican employee he worked with at Brasserie Les Halles with great fondness and admiration. I'm looking forward to the episode.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Lucifer,
    Which channel on De Lancer ?

Olly
    I don't think we have the Travel Channel on Delancer, but TLC Channel 63 airs his show frequently...

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

A few weeks ago a friend sent me an email with a photo of Bourdain holding a Presidente bottle. It was tweeted by someone who took the photo with a cellphone. I say he was off to a good start. The show was filmed a few months ago.

Polls Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast