Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    The Way Life Should Be...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Credit card fraud

Sad to report I have just heard from my bank that my credit card number was used in santo Domingo two weeks ago. I have not been in country for several months. Card has been closed, now to file fraud paperwork. It's a shame. I was staying in punta Cana last year and used my card at nacional and the mail box place exclusively. I was very careful where I used it. Beware.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Breach in the processing company, I have my card attached to a account that I only wire money to to withdraw from.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Another confirmation that out of country credit cards should never be used in the DR. As mentioned it is not where you used it but the processing center that is usually the problem.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to add additional confirmation - I had it happen to me also on my BofA card. The credit fraud protection kicked - and I did not lose any money because of that. But did have to get a new card. I even changed my ATM pass code, just to be safe, even though it was a new card.
    But I think you are right that it is happening at the processing center. Because I used my card at reputable places or known places - so should have been safe - then much later charges had shown up that I did not do and did not match up with any of my travels.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The same thing happened to one of my sisters last year.I don't use my credit card,while I'm here.
    I pay everything in cash.

6. Likes pollogringo, young seniors liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This happens frequently in the USA as well.

8. Likes CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Dislikes Criss Colon, Jumbo disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viajero View Post
    This happens frequently in the USA as well.
    I am very glad to hear that this "happens everywhere" which is totally irrelevant to what happens ALL THE TIME in the DR. It happened to me two times in the DR and I used my credit card perhaps 4 times. I used my credit card in the US thousands of times and it never happened.
    You do the math.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It can happen anywhere. But that's beside the point. Actually, if you're the victim of credit card fraud, (or as the banks like to call it, "identity theft", which is actually something different and far worse), you really don't loose anything, the banks have your back on that. If you're robbed of cash... you're screwed. canceling your cards is a pain in the ass, but ONLY a p.i.t.a., the only thing lost is a little time and effort. The banks loose some money, but that is figured into their operating costs and you've already paid for it with your fees.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Bottom line here is, anybody that uses a CC or debit card here is a favorite to have your card compromised. But hey, "it happens everywhere", just a lot more in the DR.

12. Likes windeguy, donP liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptnGlenn View Post
    It can happen anywhere. But that's beside the point. Actually, if you're the victim of credit card fraud, (or as the banks like to call it, "identity theft", which is actually something different and far worse), you really don't loose anything, the banks have your back on that. If you're robbed of cash... you're screwed. canceling your cards is a pain in the ass, but ONLY a p.i.t.a., the only thing lost is a little time and effort. The banks loose some money, but that is figured into their operating costs and you've already paid for it with your fees.
    If you have had it happen to you while living here, I think you would think differently about the "little time and effort" that it takes to fix the problem. I agree that those on travel here have less to worry about.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast