Credit card fraud

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Sad to report I have just heard from my bank that my credit card number was used in santo Domingo two weeks ago. I have not been in country for several months. Card has been closed, now to file fraud paperwork. It's a shame. I was staying in punta Cana last year and used my card at nacional and the mail box place exclusively. I was very careful where I used it. Beware.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Breach in the processing company, I have my card attached to a account that I only wire money to to withdraw from.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another confirmation that out of country credit cards should never be used in the DR. As mentioned it is not where you used it but the processing center that is usually the problem.

Apr 13, 2011
Just to add additional confirmation - I had it happen to me also on my BofA card. The credit fraud protection kicked - and I did not lose any money because of that. But did have to get a new card. I even changed my ATM pass code, just to be safe, even though it was a new card.
But I think you are right that it is happening at the processing center. Because I used my card at reputable places or known places - so should have been safe - then much later charges had shown up that I did not do and did not match up with any of my travels.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The same thing happened to one of my sisters last year.I don't use my credit card,while I'm here.
I pay everything in cash.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This happens frequently in the USA as well.

I am very glad to hear that this "happens everywhere" which is totally irrelevant to what happens ALL THE TIME in the DR. It happened to me two times in the DR and I used my credit card perhaps 4 times. I used my credit card in the US thousands of times and it never happened.
You do the math.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
It can happen anywhere. But that's beside the point. Actually, if you're the victim of credit card fraud, (or as the banks like to call it, "identity theft", which is actually something different and far worse), you really don't loose anything, the banks have your back on that. If you're robbed of cash... you're screwed. canceling your cards is a pain in the ass, but ONLY a p.i.t.a., the only thing lost is a little time and effort. The banks loose some money, but that is figured into their operating costs and you've already paid for it with your fees.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bottom line here is, anybody that uses a CC or debit card here is a favorite to have your card compromised. But hey, "it happens everywhere", just a lot more in the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It can happen anywhere. But that's beside the point. Actually, if you're the victim of credit card fraud, (or as the banks like to call it, "identity theft", which is actually something different and far worse), you really don't loose anything, the banks have your back on that. If you're robbed of cash... you're screwed. canceling your cards is a pain in the ass, but ONLY a p.i.t.a., the only thing lost is a little time and effort. The banks loose some money, but that is figured into their operating costs and you've already paid for it with your fees.

If you have had it happen to you while living here, I think you would think differently about the "little time and effort" that it takes to fix the problem. I agree that those on travel here have less to worry about.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

If you have had it happen to you while living here, I think you would think differently about the "little time and effort" that it takes to fix the problem. I agree that those on travel here have less to worry about. Just don't use your credit card here.

Dec 26, 2011
My gf put 1500$/RD in gas at a Shell around Moca a couple of weeks ago. Shortly after(the same day), exactly 2000$/RD was stolen from her account via an online transaction. It took about ten days to get it straightened out with Banco Popular. Then she goes to withdraw from another bank's ATM and gets a receipt stating that the amount requested has been deducted from her account, but no money was dispensed. She notifies the bank and they tell her to take it up with BP.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I only use local debt cards and American Express here - never had a problem with Amex in 20 years. The local BanReservas put a hold on my card when I made withdrawals out of my area and not in the usual amount. I had to go into the bank and explain the charge = which was under 1000 pesos. OK so it took a few HOURS of my life but somehow I did appreciate that BanReservas was making the effort to protect me.

When I first came here, I had my major ATM card used in the Ukraine. the bank automatically stopped it and I had to get a new one sent to my sister;s address etc etc etc .. That took over a MONTH.. So I NEVER use the big account US account here. In fact, I lost the ATM card and never applied for a new one.. just use checks, as I do for one of my accounts here...

ok.. i just got that one and it is hard to write

tres mil quatro cien trente ocho .. out on the legal line

but I feel safe!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we use a dominican credit card on a daily basis, never had a problem. neither in DR nor in any of our trip to europe. but someone did a nice shopping with miesposo's card in NYC, few days after he came back from a trip there. and two of my polish friends who have visited chicago on two different occasions had money stolen from their cards after they came back.
so go figure, to it sounds like USA sucks more than DR when it comes to the credit card fraud.

also, funnily enough, it took less time and effort to get monies back from a dominican bank in DR than from a polish bank in PL.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Using local cards does not seem to be a problem here. Those committing fraud at the local processing center avoid them. No idea why AMEX has been immune for Mountainannie, but I dropped AMEX years ago.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Been using a local Visa Credit Card from Banco Popular for over 3 years and never a problem.........
And I use it quite a bit............
I only use my U.S. Visa for Ebay purchases..........
Bottom line..........DON'T USE A U.S. CREDIT CARD HERE.............

B in Santiago

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Want to ask you guys something.

What if you go into a Dominican bank and have them withdraw cash from your credit card would that be any safer or is that the same as using the CC in a store/gas station?

Want to ask you guys something.

What if you go into a Dominican bank and have them withdraw cash from your credit card would that be any safer or is that the same as using the CC in a store/gas station?

I always withdraw money inside the bank, and i have never experienced any problems doing this. I also put money into my Dominican card, so if i need something i can use that card instead of using my European card.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Had my local (Banco Santa Cruz) card number stolen a couple of years ago. The day after paying my EdNorte bill some one tried to charge $400,000RD on the card. The bank closed it down and replaced my card in 24 hours. Even to this day when I use the card for a big purchase or in a new store they will call me while I am still at the store checkout to make sure it is me doing the charging. Pretty impressive.

Bob K