Acta de Nacimiento and School Registration

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I have a few questions concerning School (colegio) registration:

1. Can a Dominican born child with Dominican parents register in a colegio, without their Acta de Nacimiento?
2. Can the Acta de Nacimiento be done by only one parent (mother) or must both parent be present?
3. Can a family member file for the Acta de Nacimiento if they have permission from the parent?
4. If a child never gets their Acta de Nacimiento and neither parent is around in later teenage years or adulthood, how does this person get their cedula?

Some background info:
The child was born in one of the Campos of San Juan de la Maguana and is now 14 years old. Sad situation, this child was "traded" by her padrastro and her mother to someone for 4 plastic chairs and a mattress and was rescued by her aunt (mi esposa's sister) two and a half years ago (the child is staying with mi esposa). I paid for her to go to a sala de tarea for the last six months or so but I gave them a deadline of end of August to get this child's papers straightened out and if not, back to San Juan she goes. Sounds mean but if someone's foot isn't put to the fire, then nothing gets done. Just seeking info and nothing else.

Thanks in advance.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With all due respect if you really care about the girl you are better off resolving the issue yourself as opposed to letting someone like the kids mother (who does not have the best interest of the child in mind obviously) bungle it.

As far as what colegio's require they all seem to require a copy of the birth certificate but I would talk to the school administrator and explain the whole situation and that the birth certificate is being pursued.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Chip is right, they are remarkably strict about birth certificates here as compared to most other things. And keep in mind, just because you have a good birth certificate today, that once valid birth certificate will somehow mysteriously become outdated and invalid causing you to go through getting another valid one. At least getting the second, third, etc. ones should not be any problem in relation to getting the first one.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
With all due respect if you really care about the girl you are better off resolving the issue yourself as opposed to letting someone like the kids mother (who does not have the best interest of the child in mind obviously) bungle it.

As far as what colegio's require they all seem to require a copy of the birth certificate but I would talk to the school administrator and explain the whole situation and that the birth certificate is being pursued.

I will definitely try and do it myself, if possible.