Island Fever anyone?

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
I live in Central Florida and I'm hell bent on moving to the DR God willing, if I live long enough to retire in 14 years.

As a serviceman, I was stationed in PR about 17 years ago in a town called Ceiba. The first few months there were crazy. I was excited about taking an entire day off just to get my lights turned on, and thought it was the greatest thing that one could run the red lights after midnight and that you could commit the most eggregious traffic infractions with impunity(that was one of the greatest freedoms). There were great beaches and trips to the beach, Patronales, trips to the outer islands, the other side of PR, Mayaguez, Rincon etc... not to mention the senoritas; but man, after about a year, I plateaued. Some of these things became annoying and I was going nuts and the lack of customer service, the lack of courtesy on the road, you name it, it bugged the crap out of me.

Some of the guys that had been there before me called it "ISLAND FEVER" That's when you become the perpetrator of all the things that annoyed you when you got to the island and vice versa, they now have become or appeared normal and rational (at least to you). The only cure was a transfer :).

My question is: In the DR, has anyone experienced these types of situations, what do you do when the novelty wears off? Do any of you have or have gotten ISLAND FEVER? if so, what do you do? what is the cure, so to speak?

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
heh heh, its the same working on a boat.....after a while you get boat fever and everything gets on your nerves.....just need to get off for a while and get some 'perspective' I would assume the same here, as long as you have your home comforts--its not all bad!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I admit running red lights can be fun in my moto but that's getting increasingly precarious as the AMET is getting tougher and tougher. :)

Island fever for me would be life is at a slower place and people are friendly so whenever you want to chew the fact with a friend or acquaintance you have a long list to chose from.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
BTW, at the time the internet was in it's infancy, it would have been nice to have a PR1:nervous:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Generally speaking it is nothing that a trip to the mainland cannot cure, but yes those same things can happen here. If you read the forums a lot of the negativity is spawned by the difference between the island mentality and where you are from.

That said, PR is much smaller than the DR and I could easily see the problem being an order of magnitude greater on PR.

Dec 26, 2011
If you read the forums a lot of the negativity is spawned by the difference between the island mentality and where you are from.

Exactly. It's a process. Driving, for example. You can go from an angry "I can't believe how rude and ridiculously irresponsible these idiots are" to having a lot of fun with it. You just have to loosen up and view it as a sport or a video game and it's not so bad.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have actually never had island fever here as I did in Puerto Rico or Grenada. The place is too big.. it is a six hour trip to the border from SD and three to four hours to the eastern beaches - this is a BIG country with massively different eco systems. There is ample change of scenery. You can almost drive around Puerto Rico in a day. Not so here. It takes years to see the entire country. Plus, of course, you can also cross over and explore Haiti if you are adventurous. I have not left now for about three years and feel even less like leaving. The thought of taking a plane to the US just makes me want to get back under the covers..... just the stress of the entering customs.

I did go back every year for the first three or four years here but not now.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As M. Annie has pointed out the sheer size and the geographic diversity is a good antidote for Island Fever. Tired of the beaches? Go to the mountains. Tired of the Mountains? Go to one of the cities. Don't this this place? Take a bus for two or three hours to someplace different.

And another thing: In 14 years your tastes and needs will be different. You will be interested in cultural things, health care, access, Internet, relationships.

So come and look around, but you will not get Island Fever, guaranteed...(Which is not to say you won't get P.O.'d at some of the sh!t you have to put up with here....but that's the small stuff)

HB

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Yes, that's correct. From Luquillo to Maunabo, up the cordillera central through Yauco, then down to mayaguez. That portion takes most of the day, then it's a breeze from Mayaguez to Arecibo to San Juan. Then San Juan to Carolina and then on to Luquillo. It's very scenic, and you go through some of the most beautiful and picturesque parts of the Island.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
So come and look around, but you will not get Island Fever, guaranteed...(Which is not to say you won't get P.O.'d at some of the sh!t you have to put up with here....but that's the small stuff)

HB[/QUOTE]

Taking my second trip this year in a couple of weeks. I will be a "Tiguere" by the time Uncle Sam cuts me loose.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
Yes, Puerto Rican cuisine definitely has a flavor and variety that I have yet to experience any where else. Those land crabs are prepared many different ways. The funny thing though, most of the roadside vendors are Dominican, especially the ones at the Patronales, Isla Verde and Pinones.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
In Fajardo beach, the very first kiosko at the entrance of the beach makes the best empanada de jueye that I've eaten anywhere!!

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
I know we're not supposed to talk about that here; but I don't think I can ever get enough of 24 year old chicas :) or will ever get tired of them. I'm just saying.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I know we're not supposed to talk about that here; but I don't think I can ever get enough of 24 year old chicas :) or will ever get tired of them. I'm just saying.

You will if one of them rips you off or you catch a dose of the clap. Believe me they are the first thing you will get tired of. Sounds crazy but its true.
I always thought Island Fever was when you make a bunch of plans and then wind up drinking beer in your hammock all day.
To each his own.