where else do people here travel to?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I'd like to do a trip in a few weeks but i've already been to DR twice this year. Once for three months and another month after that. I LOVE DR but I'd like to do something different. (mind you..on a Dominican budget jejejeje).

I definitely want beach. I have bad legs and swimming makes them feel so much better. Especially bouncing in some decent waves.

I also want somewhere that is friendly to "alternative lifesyles" (god i hate that term). I am not looking to hook up...but i dont want to live in fear either (jamaica is out).

Oh...one last thing. I'd be traveling out of Newark, NJ. I'm pretty sure i will end up back in DR...but i'd like to hear about other peoples travel experiences. Think this could be a cool thread.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
would LOVE to do THailand....if nothing else but just for the food!!! East coast of Mexico is on my radar too for the same reason. Another thing i like about going to DR is the relatively short flight. 3.5 hrs from newark. Brazil might work..but i dont know where to stay

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I'd like to do a trip in a few weeks but i've already been to DR twice this year. Once for three months and another month after that. I LOVE DR but I'd like to do something different. (mind you..on a Dominican budget jejejeje).

I definitely want beach. I have bad legs and swimming makes them feel so much better. Especially bouncing in some decent waves.

I also want somewhere that is friendly to "alternative lifesyles" (god i hate that term). I am not looking to hook up...but i dont want to live in fear either (jamaica is out).

Oh...one last thing. I'd be traveling out of Newark, NJ. I'm pretty sure i will end up back in DR...but i'd like to hear about other peoples travel experiences. Think this could be a cool thread.

Cuba, Costa Rica to name two...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While someone from Jersey can go to Cuba from the DR, it is not legal if he is a US citizen.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
yeah...would love to do CUBA. when are they going to lift the travel embargo? I know there are ways to get around it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can go to Cuba through Nassau. Just buy a rt ticket to Nassau and go in between.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You can go to Cuba through Nassau. Just buy a rt ticket to Nassau and go in between.

While that may be true, it is ILLEGAL for a US citizen to visit Cuba without special dispensation from the US government.

Dec 26, 2011
Colombia impressed me. I sensed that they're tolerant of people living authentically(in contrast with Jamaica and the other English-speaking islands).

Flights to Brazil are much more than a flight to Medellin.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It Is Not Illegal for US Citizens to Travel to Cuba

According to the U.S. Department of State: "Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Treasury Department and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. Regulation does not limit travel of U.S. citizens to Cuba per se, but it makes it illegal for U.S. citizens to have transactions (spend money or receive gifts) in Cuba, under most circumstances.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The Yucatan was gorgeous but they are having a drug war there now i think? but probably not in the tourist areas.. sorta like here.. So I would check out Tuluum and Isla Mujeres.. avoid Cancun and Cozumel

Vieques might be very nice for you.. do not know exactly what you mean by alternative lifestyles but Vieques is very gay friendly.
off puerto rico.. lots of places to stay..

Dec 26, 2011
Regulation does not limit travel of U.S. citizens to Cuba per se, but it makes it illegal for U.S. citizens to have transactions (spend money or receive gifts) in Cuba, under most circumstances.

Precisely. It's not the travel that's illegal. It's the introduction of US money into the Cuban economy(exceptions made for Cuban-Americans visiting family). If an American traveled to Cuba with their non-American partner picking up the tab?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
According to the U.S. Department of State: "Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Treasury Department and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. Regulation does not limit travel of U.S. citizens to Cuba per se, but it makes it illegal for U.S. citizens to have transactions (spend money or receive gifts) in Cuba, under most circumstances.

Since it is illegal for a US Citizen to spend any money in Cuba, technically that means a US citizen cannot go there. If you can go there and not spend any money, then you would be OK.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
As far as I know it is illegal for a US Citizen to spend any money in Cuba. If you can go there and not spend any money, then you would be OK.

I guess that guy that wants to go to Sosua on $3 US per day might be good to go.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have been to Cuba and really could not care less about someone from a Country that advertises "freedom and liberty" telling me where I can go and not go. Let them prove I spent one penny there, or that I was even there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been to Cuba and really could not care less about someone from a Country that advertises "freedom and liberty" telling me where I can go and not go. Let them prove I spent one penny there, or that I was even there.

I could not agree with you more. But it does not make it legal. Everyone has to decide for themselves if it is worth it. I was only stating the reality that it is illegal.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
so could i travel to Cuba and bring Dom Pesos??? i heard that you just slip a 20 in your passport so they dont stamp it. I tried to research it a few years ago...it seemed kinda pricey. I really dont want hassles tho. I got stopped at Newark for 3 hours on my way back last time (i extended my stay in DR about 3 times....and they were looking for drugs. So i am not sure if i will be flagged again.)

But getting back to my orig post...i really would like to see where other travelers go to...what they like and why they go where they go. Sex isnt really on my agenda...but yeah..I am gay and dont want to have problems. Wouldnt mind meeting gay friendly people while I am in DR tho. I am pretty sure i will end up back in Boca/Santo Domingo...but i can travel around the south if anyone is around. I'd like to do Mexico (def not cancun). My family is from Puebla...but i really like the playa.