Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pregnant Dominican Teen Dies After Abortion Ban Delays Chemo Treatment

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to RD's arrival to the 21st century.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The constitution needs to be changed.Abortion should be allowed in life threatening situations.
    I hope that with this international coverage,something will be done about it.

My heart goes out to the mother.

4. Likes pollogringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeallspice View Post
    The constitution needs to be changed.Abortion should be allowed in life threatening situations.
    I hope that with this international coverage,something will be done about it.

My heart goes out to the mother.
    Bans on abortion don't prevent abortion. They just make it more dangerous.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

After listening and reading the article it is doubtful that the slight delay caused her death. Lack of birth Control seems to be as big an issue as an abortion ban. The life of the mother should be paramount.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

13 weeks? she could have done it herself, like thousands of other dominican women: a handful of cytotec and it's over.
    but yeah, what a law. the one it protected died anyways taking far more valuable life with it. sad.

8. Likes pollogringo, rsg liked this post
    On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I can't tell you how many hundreds of hours i've spent arguing this issue with a Canadian pastor/minister frome Cabarete, but who preaches in Sosua on sundays. Despite countless hours, and countless arguments of trying to talk some reason into this pastor, the argument is lost, in vain, and a complete waste of precious energy, time, and oxygen.

I've tried telling this pastor numerous times, in vain, that my cousin in Bonao is a well known gynecologist, he's one of the most respected doctor's in Bonao and Cibao area. He sees not dozens, but hundreds of cases a year of women trying to self-induce abortions and then ending up with a torn uterus's, life-threatening infections, shock induced by heavy blood loss, etc. Several times a week women come into his office, completely desperate, and seeking advice on how to terminate an unwanted preganancy--sometimes by a relative, but he cannot do anything about it because his hands are tied by the law.

Many women end up in the emergency room because of botched abortions; but a lot of women will take home-made concotions that their neighbor or friend has reccomended or told her about, only to end up with a severe infection or death. People in the DR, and other poor countries, are extrememly vulnerable to heresay and voodoo medicine and techniques that have been reccomended by someone who knows someone who heard it from someone else. They'll try anything, only to end up in the emergency room--where my cousin or other gynecologists wil be callled in the middle of the night to come and try and save them. it's a screwed up, terrible, barbaric, medievil situation that has been going on far, far too long, and it will continue to go on for the for seeable future with no way of stopping it. Nothing will change in the DR becuase the catholic church has way, way too much power and influence over the legislature.

Frank
    My uncle and aunt were doctors in Santo Domingo for 40 years and they had to deal with similar botched abortion deaths and issues, their kids are now doctors and have to deal with botched abortion issues and death, and the next generation of doctors will have the misfortune to have to deal with it as well. when will the insanity stop?

Not in any of our life times.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    13 weeks? she could have done it herself, like thousands of other dominican women: a handful of cytotec and it's over.
    but yeah, what a law. the one it protected died anyways taking far more valuable life with it. sad.
    You know more than me on this issue but I have heard that one of the issues is that many women take only half of the components of the RU487 Mifepristone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and they take it on their own without doctor's supervision.... and that evidently has caused a number of deaths. But it is just hearsay

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    The ban apparently prevented this one until it was too late!
    I appreciate the correction. I should have been more precise in my wording. Thank you.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

According to this article from CNN on 7-25 Dominican Republic abortion ban stops treatment for pregnant teen with cancer - CNN.com the girl was prevented from having chemotherapy but according to this article in the Diario Libre on 7-25 the girl was already receiving chemo Médicos inician quimioterapia a joven embarazada - DiarioLibre.com . In fact from this article Joven con leucemia recibe quimioterapia - DiarioLibre.com the girl had been receiving chemo since 7-20, 5 days before the CNN article.

Furthermore, the vicar of the Catholic Youth Ministry in the DR recommended the girl receive chemo in this article on 7-24, one day before the CNN article. Padre Luis Rosario dice es necesario tratamiento médico a joven embarazada - DiarioLibre.com

Furthermore again, the Diario Libre articles clearly state that the doctors were awaiting the biopsy results that were sent to the States in order to know how to treat the cancer.

What we have here is selective reporting from CNN in order to paint the DR and the Catholic Church as backwards as possible because the US press is intent on indoctrinating not only the US but the rest of the world with it's own version of morality.

Ironically, the support or convenience abortions are never mentioned while they account for 94% of all abortions while medical abortions account for less than one percent. In other words if there were 2 million abortions in 2011 1,840,000 children were killed to save 40,000.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 08-18-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast