Prison Life

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I have read many articles regarding Prisoners being able to 'upgrade' their cells in prison to a more comfortable holding area/cell with the facility to obtain 'take-away' food, regular friends visits and such luxuries as Televison and their own bed.
Is this still possible, the articles I read were from the 90's?
Also, what is the cost for these 'upgrades'?

Many thanks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes, this still goes and the cost is pretty reasonable from what I understand. In La Victoria they even let hookers in every day for the men who have no visitors.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The BEST thing about the DR is:
If you have the money,you can get ANYTHING" you want,or need!
ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For some the price may be to go from o to O... for others it might be a few hundred a week to the guards...

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, this still goes and the cost is pretty reasonable from what I understand. In La Victoria they even let hookers in every day for the men who have no visitors.

Yep. And yet they wouldn't let Mr. AE into Najayo Prison to visit someone because he was wearing khaki shorts.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Yep. And yet they wouldn't let Mr. AE into Najayo Prison to visit someone because he was wearing khaki shorts.

LOl yep there you go the perecption that they are upholding the law and organised !!! I used to be a Corrections Officer back home that crap would never fly !

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
For all the stories of how good life can be here in jail, there are some horrendous ones. The Preventiva in Puerto Plata has just been temporarily closed. 115 men were in a cell built for 15. No windows, appalling heat, people sleeping on top of each other and one hole in the floor for relieving themselves.
Last week, when cleaning out the cell they discovered a dead body in there. Newspaper reports compared it to the black hole of Calcutta and following media outcry all inmates have now been moved to La Forteleza.

Presos preventivos Puerto Plata viven un

If I ever have to give advice to expats it is never ever ever do something which might end up with you in jail. Ever.

Matilda

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
You know, if you fly straight and keep a low profile, don't do drugs, hang with the right girls and guys, don't shoot anyone. Everything should be cool........................sorry, just trying reach 500 posts.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
That salon post was one of the more interesting reads I've ever had about the legal system in the DR. Sounds like a damn scary place, I've known some people that have been incarcerated here and everyone says they don't come out the same as they went in.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
In an agreement between the U.S. and Dominican authorities, Dominican nationals imprisoned in the United States are granted early release and deported to the Republic under the condition that they serve out the other half of their in a DR penitentiary.

is that true? never heard it...

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
You know, if you fly straight and keep a low profile, don't do drugs, hang with the right girls and guys, don't shoot anyone. Everything should be cool........................sorry, just trying reach 500 posts.

That is just a bit too much dont do, then what you do for a good time??

Dec 26, 2011

Dominican institutions are terrified by men in shorts and men with earrings. Oh, the horror! ;) But short skirts and cleavage are quite acceptable for their female visitors.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In an agreement between the U.S. and Dominican authorities, Dominican nationals imprisoned in the United States are granted early release and deported to the Republic under the condition that they serve out the other half of their in a DR penitentiary.

is that true? never heard it...

No such animal. A Dominican convicted in the US serves all his time there and then is deported.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I thought the Salon article was eye opening. I knew you could buy you way out of jail in the DR but I didn't realize that anybody could. It is just a matter of price. Also his opinion of lawyers in the DR was scary and interesting at the same time.

I think the article was factual for the most part but I don't believe the part about paying a Dominican official to get a Visa (I assume a visa to the US) is true. Surely nobody could be so stupid to think the Dominican government can get you a visa to the US.

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
I read the article yesterday .
Thought it was a very fair depiction of the system.

Corruption figured into my leaving the DR.
Primary reason was education,for step daughter.
With a system as corrupt as this , no one is truly safe.
If someone corrupt or powerful enough sets their sights on you , you will come out on the losing end.

Having said that . In the three years I was there never had a problem.

It goes back to what some long term expats say. If you socialize with decent people you will be fine.