dogs flying to and from usa

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
I was wanting to take my dog to DR . He is a G shepaard I know he needs up to date shots. What else do I need to do. Is there any problems or dangers? Any thing with customs?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You need a health certificate from your vet that is then stamped by the FDA easy process. Rabies must be with in a year and at least 30days old. They do honor the 3 year shot you can get in the US. Then $10 for customs here. Also do know that most airlines will not fly a dog if temp at sending ariport or receiving airport is going to be over 90 degrees. So usually can't do it during the summer from Miami.

We fly our dog back and forth once a year or so but he is small and in the cabin with us

Do a search here on this forum as WW suggested.

Bob K

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The DR is not for all dogs. If you are not going to living in the country then think twice with a dog of that size. If you do not have a house with good stretching areas for the dog then I'd consider leaving it where it is, with fam' or fR' . Anything short term for bigs dogs is more stressfully and unpleasant than anything. If moving here then great, but don't think it will be the vacation you have, equal for the dog.
Big dogs in the cities have a sh1t life.
I am positive Acira (who breeds related dogs) will agree with me.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Frequent Flyer Dog?

I am not sure if the OP is going to move here and live here or just having a vacation.
Acira

thanks i will only get to stay 10 to 30 days each trip ,3 or 4 times a year. I will still be running business in states that requires me to be there also.

I do hope that does not mean a lot of flying for the dog..... :mad:

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Some dogs do it.
Think show dogs that travel the country.

I wouldn't do it... we planned it with BoBo the Boxer, but that was flying in November until May 1 to comply w/ the heat embargo.

He was intended to be in RD all winter - 5 to 6 months at a time.
He was an excellent traveler.

The trick is to train them to that travel kennel - they like it and it is safety to them.
The airport was a breeze with him.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
You are right WW, some dogs do it or can do it.

My dogs can do it, well some of them for competitions all over the world but they are trained to be at ease for long periods in a crate in a noisy environment. Still then I calculate that they only perform at 80 % of their capability due to the travel, the rush of the competition with having a jet lag. I always keep that number in mind and will compete accordingly.

Your dog can do it because you trained him for it and there is a big difference between being on the Island for 10 day's or 5 to 6 months.

No, I wouldn't do it with an untrained dog for so many short periods in a year. Looking at the breed, being a GSD, I would certainly speak against it because of their weaker hips which is a disadvantage for traveling long periods in a crate, even if that crate is big enough for them to stand in. It is just a to heavy burden for them and you will not see it in a young dog but wait when they turn 10 and you have a dog who can almost not stand anymore on his behind legs for sure.

Acira