fish and seafood caught on N coast

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
Can I catch fish and seafood around sosua without a boat or guide? I have seen people standing in town with fish forsale; appeared very fresh catch of the day. do you ever buy it?:cool:. Is tuna commonly caught it is one of my favorites? I also love shrimp and lobsters and love to cook on the grill. I have seen mainly gas grills but I prefer charcoal. Is it also common and resonable?:cool::cool:

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Some of the fish you see for sale on the street is fresh, but many aren't. I stay away from it unless I know 100% it is fresh. The shrimp is very good but the lobster is mushy and not very tasty as compared to the cold Atlantic lobster from back home.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Oh yes BBQ
well I did not have much luck with the charcoal,went to pappatera bought a bag of black chunks
and asked for lighter fluid
no such thing ,plus he said it was enough in the chunks lol
get back home ,no fire not even a sparkle
we added all kinds of dangerous liquids including paint thinner nada
ran out the next day and bought a gasgrill
later I found out that some people use some kind of lampoil to start the fire?
well a few days later I saw lighterfluid at playero ,by the dogfood area
and also I could not find any wood chips for adding flavor
so maybe bring your fave mesquite or hickory etc
Manu

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Try a chimmney charcoal starter. It looks like a large (gallon sized) tin can with holes in the side and a grate dividing it into 1/4 below, and 3/4 above. Just fill the 3/4 above with carbon (Charcoal. I prefer natural, but it also works with briquettes), then crumble a couple of sheets of old newspaper (I give them a "spritz" of cooking oil) and stick it under the 1/4 side.
Light (you only need one match) and in about 10-15 minutes, your coals are blazing red and ready to be dumped into the bbq grill. Works great every time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Try a chimmney charcoal starter. It looks like a large (gallon sized) tin can with holes in the side and a grate dividing it into 1/4 below, and 3/4 above. Just fill the 3/4 above with carbon (Charcoal. I prefer natural, but it also works with briquettes), then crumble a couple of sheets of old newspaper (I give them a "spritz" of cooking oil) and stick it under the 1/4 side.
Light (you only need one match) and in about 10-15 minutes, your coals are blazing red and ready to be dumped into the bbq grill. Works great every time.

Def a good idea. In fact, I had one made after the original corroded. Ant meatal man can fashion one.

As for 'carbon', I get excellent charcoal. It burns faster than normal but its a fraction of thye US price.
300-400 pesos fro a gigantic bag. Stay away from the mercado - hit the campo for this item.

Any Dominican or Haitian will fill your request.... just ask and they'll get it or make it for you.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Def a good idea. In fact, I had one made after the original corroded. Ant meatal man can fashion one.

As for 'carbon', I get excellent charcoal. It burns faster than normal but its a fraction of thye US price.
300-400 pesos fro a gigantic bag. Stay away from the mercado - hit the campo for this item.

Any Dominican or Haitian will fill your request.... just ask and they'll get it or make it for you.

True William... I used to get huge bags from a guy in Jarabacoa. Although he was Dominican, he looked as black as his charcoal (thanks to the grime), but it was excellent quality, and if I remember correctly, one of those huge coffeebean bags was around 400 rds...

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know about sosua but here in POP you can fish off the coast, so to speak. local fishermen walk far into the ocean (reef) and fish from there. other go spear fishing.
i think you could maybe skip the tourist thingy and have locals guide you: will cost pennies and you may have good time.

one day you need to come to maimon (a small village close to POP): this is a seafood mecca for dominicans. various restaurants line the main street. there are all kinds of fish, langosta, shrimps, crabs, octopus, calamari... dominican food at dominican prices.

we had our charcoal grill hand made from stainless steel beer barrel. it even has a chimney. works great too. we use something called VOLCANO as a lighter liquid, sold in all supermarkets. you can also use brugal 151 :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i don't know about sosua but here in POP you can fish off the coast, so to speak. local fishermen walk far into the ocean (reef) and fish from there. other go spear fishing.
i think you could maybe skip the tourist thingy and have locals guide you: will cost pennies and you may have good time.

one day you need to come to maimon (a small village close to POP): this is a seafood mecca for dominicans. various restaurants line the main street. there are all kinds of fish, langosta, shrimps, crabs, octopus, calamari... dominican food at dominican prices.

we had our charcoal grill hand made from stainless steel beer barrel. it even has a chimney. works great too. we use something called VOLCANO as a lighter liquid, sold in all supermarkets. you can also use brugal 151 :)

Do not exhale when lighting the BBQ if you drink the 151 lighter fluid.

I would swig the Brugal and squirt it on the coals.... no eyebrows, no shaving for a week, clear sinuses

DV8 has every practical solution ever written....

BBq lighter and cocktail party... all in one

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if i were you i would just ask one of the fishermen on the malecon in POP to take you alongside. offer 20 dollars or so and part of your catch (providing that you will, indeed, catch something).

in maimon my favorite place is right at the end, the very last restaurant on the strip (coming from POP towards santiago), on the left. i don't know what it's called but it is big, slightly in the back and with a big parking in the front.
you can chose whatever fish or langosta you want to eat. we take all our guests there, never had any problems. going with a big party is the best because you can take several plates and share.