swimming pools

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
I noticed alot of pools in backyards when shopping for a house. I did not see auto fills,autoclorinatos.or timeclocks.Is this actually common? Do the block pools leak alot Iseen quite a few drained. Does anyone have autmated pools with motorized valves? My pool is operated by my phone.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Yes - We have a time clock! Mechanical drive because the electronic ones get blown by the Edenorte Spikes!!!

Olly and the Team

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Pool automation would not be common here.

I noticed alot of pools in backyards when shopping for a house. I did not see auto fills,autoclorinatos.or timeclocks.Is this actually common?

NOT seeing auto fills, NOT seeing auto-chlorinators and NOT seeing time clocks is common. Seeing them would NOT be common. But I see Olly has a mechanical clock.

Do the block pools leak alot Iseen quite a few drained. Does anyone have autmated pools with motorized valves? My pool is operated by my phone.

Block pools can leak, so it is best to keep them well painted with Epoxy paint to prevent leakage as much as possible. I cannot say for certain, but an automated pool such as you have would be rare here. I doubt anyone controls their people via an iPhone ( or even an Android phone).

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
We turn the tap on and it fills with water when low. We press a button for the filter. We put chlorine in in a tablet or granules when it needs it. It's not that hard really.

Matilda

donP

Dec 14, 2008
10 Minutes

I just thought it might save you in operatioal cost

All these automatic gadgets cost more to install than they really save you money.
If it is electronic stuff it goes haywire here a lot.

I test the water, pour in acid and chlorine as needed, all done in ten minutes.

donP

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Sundontshine!
Time clocks save money but you need to adjust the chemicals

Olly and the team

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
autofill device is a big saver also for a few reasons. They add water only when needed then they shut off. This way you dont forget to turn your hose off. It also keeps your water level at the correct height so your pump isnt suckig air wich can be a sloww death to your system. Mechanical timer is agood way to reduce elec. use in half wich adds upto alot of savings. A basic inline clorinator mixes the clorine after filter tomaximize clorine efficency. I build custom pools in USA and we are really making them much more efficent than what I seen in DR. Filtration has alot todo with operational cost also,I use D E filters. Do they use them in DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
autofill device is a big saver also for a few reasons. They add water only when needed then they shut off. This way you dont forget to turn your hose off. It also keeps your water level at the correct height so your pump isnt suckig air wich can be a sloww death to your system. Mechanical timer is agood way to reduce elec. use in half wich adds upto alot of savings. A basic inline clorinator mixes the clorine after filter tomaximize clorine efficency. I build custom pools in USA and we are really making them much more efficent than what I seen in DR. Filtration has alot todo with operational cost also,I use D E filters. Do they use them in DR

It may not be that hard for you to ship what you need to the DR.
Clearly, you have what you want and it ain't here for you.

I say, ship it (here we go again by mudanza), the aduana will have little to no clue as to value (if they even get involved).

Then you go solar/wind to avoid power interuption and high power costs.

After you build your "model pool", we'll all line up to have you modernize ours !!:glasses:

A business in the making !!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
I am Autofill and Chlorinator.

....autofill device is a big saver also for a few reasons. They add water only when needed then they shut off. This way you dont forget to turn your hose off. It also keeps your water level at the correct height ....

Interesting.
My "autofill device" is a float valve which opens and shuts a line to the 'cisterna'... :bunny:

... basic inline clorinator mixes the clorine after filter to maximize clorine efficency.

Also interesting.
I am the "inline chlorinator". ;)
I check the pH-value with 'Aquchek'- strips (as I was told chlorine works best at a certain PH-level) and add 'acido muriatico' as needed, then chlorine the next day.

BTW, you can see the result here:
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...w-will-enhance-property-market-Pellerano-says
They stole my photo... :mad:

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

It is rare to see a DE filter in the DR. The reason i was told, is that because they are delicate, the people that normally maintain pools here would constantly be damaging them. Sand filters are the norm.

While it is true that you can destroy your pump if the pool is not filled properly and the pump runs dry, that has never been a problem for me in 10 years of filling the pool with a hose when needed. I have learned over time how much chlorine to add and don't have problems with that either.

Adding water only when needed is not really a huge deal here if you are referring to the cost of water. At least where I live, the water is not metered.

I can see how what you are suggesting could add a level of convenience and maybe even save money.

DonP does have a nice infinity pool will mine is simply finite.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I will remember that....

My friend Windy has a FINITE pool ...... extremely well defined and attractive.

A new trend in pools

Like simulated Naugahyde = real leather

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will remember that....

My friend Windy has a FINITE pool ...... extremely well defined and attractive.

A new trend in pools

Like simulated Naugahyde = real leather

Here is my simply finite pool:

1.jpg

No really, it doesn't keep going off to he right. It really is finite.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
mhtml:file://C:\Users\BILL\Desktop\Sale Prestige -El Breton - House - 1_600_000*US $ - Real Estate Dominican Republic.mht#

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Sundontshine,
You probaly have not figured on water costing very little here in the DR!

Olly

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Interesting.
My "autofill device" is a float valve which opens and shuts a line to the 'cisterna'... :bunny:

Same here.

And my pump runs off a cheap immersion heater timer switch. It's electronic with a battery back up, so you don't have to reset it every time the power goes off. It's set to run two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening and keeps my pool crystal clear.

I also have a kreepy crawly cleaner that keeps it clean.

The only thing I have to manually is add chlorine. Other than that, it's a maintenance free pool. I don't even have to paint it, I had it done with Diamond Bright a few years ago, it it still looks like new.

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
It sounds like you got the right idea. I did not see one pool in the houses I looked at that had that much modernization.You are actually saving lots of water chems and elec.

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
My goal is to get away from mypool buisness and enjoy warm winters and maybe eventually escape to full time island life. I will add these basic things to the pool/house I bought. I am coming back to DR in a few days and I cant wait.