Cashew Nut Processing

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This year our tree produced about 7 lb of Raw Cashew Nuts. I have been trying the Kerela Method - Bhakshanam ? Hot summer Cashew Nut and have got as far as getting Kernals but still surrounded by the brown skin. this method was passed on to me by a freind that has close connections in the Campo.

The next step is picking off the brown skin and yes - eating the nut!

There are other methods that are more industrialised.

Anybody tried processing Cashew Nuts? Is there a better way that is used in the Campo?

Olly

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
This year our tree produced about 7 lb of Raw Cashew Nuts. I have been trying the Kerela Method - Bhakshanam ? Hot summer Cashew Nut and have got as far as getting Kernals but still surrounded by the brown skin. this method was passed on to me by a freind that has close connections in the Campo.

The next step is picking off the brown skin and yes - eating the nut!
There are other methods that are more industrialised.

Anybody tried processing Cashew Nuts? Is there a better way that is used in the Campo?

Olly

somehow I ended up in your quote. ?? Think I sorted it out.

We had walnuts in CA. Cracked them opened and dryed the meat in the oven and sealed in a canning jar while still warm. Great year round and as gifts.

We have "wild" almond trees that really make a mess and NO ONE wants them. Small nut but with a thick layer of skin around them. I sometimes see them in the street for cars to run over to get to the nut.

Sorry that this has NOTHING to due with your cashews.

However. You bring them to my place and I'll make sure that they are taken care of and you will never have to worry about them again.

Sorry that I can not help Olly.

Look up blanching them in hot water?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I suggest small neutron weapons. Those suckers are armored...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
forget nuts, the fruit can be made into a great jam-like thingy, dominicans love it. so do it. spread on a piece of cheese... yummy.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
When I went to Phuket in Thailand part of the " James Bond Island Tour " included a mandatory stop at a cashew factory and I googled it and so here it is...

cashew factory in Thailand - YouTube

FYI if you ever take that tour through the mangroves etc you also stop at a Thai village for the best whole fried fish lunch you will ever experience.

Put this trip on your bucket list !

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Mike ,
Thanks for that - that you tube clip and the related ones were very interesting

Olly

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Any Dominican campesino knows how to "asar semillas de CAJUIL"...I only remember that the process always starts with SUN DRYING them for an extended period of time (days I think), for example on an uncovered concrete floor...

This video show some campesinos from El Salvador doing it...they call it MARA?ON (others call it anacardo, and it has more names):
[video=youtube;ih6u-H85aKM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih6u-H85aKM[/video]

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Dominicaus,
Thanks for that . We have got past this stage and the cracking stage but it is the final removal of the "brown" skin that is causing the problem.

The YouTube stuff from Mike I was very interesting and thank you this clip.

Olly