Valles shack Macao Beach? best fresh seafood anywhere

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
planning on going to Macao beach tomorrow specifically for restaurant at far end of beach -- Not the little hut by Surf Place. Can anyone let me know that The restaurant on far end of beach is still there -- thanks much, jeb

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Wish I had better news but I did go to Valles a few days ago. It was really not good. I don't kow what has happened but food was just not the way we remembered at all. not as tasty, not as fresh (?). I don't really know but it was just not as good. Also there seemed to be a few other places like Valles pretty much next to each other.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I know where the place is, never ate there yet, though. Maybe the owner or the cook changed, who knows. If it is not to far away for you, you should consider Boca de Yuma next time, we had very good seafood there the other day in one of the restaurants there but I can't remember the name of the place where we went... :(

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Captain Cooks has very good fresh fish in Bavaro. But you need to go when they open at 12 Noon or shortly after. Ask to pick out your own fish or lobster from the bin. They will weigh it and cook it how you like it.

But tell them you are local and you don't want the "Gringo Price' when they weigh it and ask for the price in advance. And NEVER let them talk you into the Seafood Platter for $60 per person. This is for the suckers.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I dont' think I can agree about Capt'n Cook's anymore. First time I was there, it was kind of confusing, a little crazy, but fun and enjoyable, definitely an "experience." Could sit at table and order from a menu. Last time, (in June ... yes, off season), it was creepy. The "waiter" said no menu... it was posted on the wall. Prices through the roof... and then came the hard sell for the effing "platter".... when we said no thanks... too much... he started writing on his palm, calculating a discount I guess... and bargaining, reducing the price. (Hmmm... do you REALLY want to eat a fish dinner upon which the price is haggled over??? Would you also enjoy a case of food borne illness as a side dish???) My son's girlfriend kinda freaked... yelling "we DON'T WANT the platter".. LOL. The fish in the ice bin looked pretty old and not much selection ... DEFINITELY NOT FRESH. We walked out and went to tourist trap number 2... El Pulpo Cojo. Love the place during the day... sitting on the beach being served icy cold Presidentes and eating pizza for lunch. For dinner... I had forgotten what a disappointment it is. Over priced and the food is poor to mediocre at best. (in both cases, the intention was for a dinner by or on the beach).

ON THE OTHER HAND.... a different night found us trying out Noah's in the Plaza San Juan... and it was EXCELLENT. Although the menu prices seemed the norm for a restaurant of this level, can't really comment on the bottom line, since we were the guests of my son. The food was very very good, the service was EXCELLENT, (world class), and the atmosphere is also very very good (modern, classy, warm and inviting). Word of caution... I was well dressed, but in shorts, and felt under dressed. Most patrons were well dressed, like "date night" kinda stuff. Not jackets and ties of course... but dress shirts and pants for the guys, and nice outfits... dresses or dressy outfits for the ladies.

Noah is now on my list as tied for first place with Jelly Fish in the "fancy restaraunt" category (by Dominican standards). Noah has a little edge on service, (both are very good though) and maybe food... (very slight edge)... but you can't beat Jelly Fish's view and location on the beach.

Still best for casual dining -- Outside Inn and Non Solo Pizza. Outside Inn for better food, also excellent service!!!! (Anny and Willem... we luv' ya'!!!!) Non Solo is a little more casual and more of a local / Dominican "flare".

The Capt'n and Crew

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
About Capt. Cooks, if you follow what I posted and just go to the bin and pick what you want you will be fine. And like I said, tell them you are local and ask the price BEFORE they cook it.

Noah's is a great place to eat in Bavaro. They have a varied menu, nice indoor or outdoor seating and the service is good also. But for fresh whole fish I still prefer Capt. Cooks, but go when they open up.

Out and In has the best Fish and Chips anywhere in the DR.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
outside in is great,
Noah is the best when you want to dine a bit more "fancy", to quality on Food and Service, their Food is fresher than at any Beachfront Place around.
Jellyfish is back again on my list, location can not be beaten there, they again provide very good service and fresh food.
Captain Cook is good and of course you need to decide yourself at the Cooler which piece of seafood you like, as there are amounts for their daily visiting Tourists(send by Touroperators on the usual high comissions for low quality), great seating on the Beach at Capitan Cooks.
Vale(his name is Carlos) on the far end of Macao Beach,
no change of Cook or ownership, the same Family as ever, they catch their own fish sold there, you can't get it fresher at any of the above named Locations neither. been there the 2nd last weekend, all been very fine to satisfaction as usual, we are there quiet often and you may imagine that I am picky on the Seafood. maybe you just took a bad piece, such can happen, but til now I did not observe any change of the quality of the basic Dominican Family Place.
add to the list of good restaurants in the Area the Balicana in Los Corales, Indonesian and Malayan Menue, very good service, been always tasty there over the years, they are located in Los Corales right at the Pool.

happy dining

Mike

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I was a BIG fan of Bali Cana (it was on my "must visit" list) a couple of years ago, (in the original location), but my last visit left me a little disappointed. It was a very busy night, with a big private party going on, and the service was a little "off" -- slower than normal, (which is OK with me, I'm in no hurry); but a little lacking in the attention I had been used to there.) The food was still, OK/good, but a notch below their previous "EXCELLENT". I thought it was due to their expansion and growth. I'll give them another chance on my next visit in September.

I might give Capt'n Cook one more try... but I'll have to do it alone. I already knew to look in the cooler... and what I saw there was a poor selection of fish... day old at best, a promise of a night hugging "the head" at worse ... with not enough ice. There's NO WAY I'll ever be able to drag The Admiral back there. LOL It will be a solo voyage. I'll keep the sails deeply reefed, expecting the previous storms, but hoping for a pleasant sail through the seafood trade winds. (Mike, your very enjoyable literary style is rubbing off on me... LOL You should teach some courses in writing! Then you become PROFESSOR Mike Fisher.)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha,
in reality I think I need courses in beeing teached how to read and write,
you know I am the fisherman, we never attended any school back in the day, just the school of Beachlife, lol.
I know what you mean on Capitan Cooks,
I know the owners since my first day on the Island and I like them, but since they started to be in the treatmill with the Touroperators/Tourrepresentatives some years ago the quality def went down, as it is the case everywhere when they chime in into good businesses to start their comission slamming game all around, for restaurants the same as for excursions. if you open the cooler and it doesn't look fresh nor iced appropriately, then you of course should turn around and look for the next place, completely understandeable.
I never explored Balicana for a night/Dinner, always for a early dinner before other evening guests start to come in, as we are usually coming with several Kids and wanna be back on the road to home early, so we never had a big group as a competition to attention aside, it sure makes a big difference, as some Groups can be very demanding for the Servers and those groups always think they rented the whole place to their own just because they are 10+ people bringing the big Bucks(of course in reality they ask for a discount, lol).

Mike

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Outside In, Balicana are both very good.
We ate at Captain Cooks a few years back, once, and it was once too many:tired:
Non solo pizza is one my faves too.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Very unfortunately there is No good seafood restaurant that we have found anywhere around Punta Cana, Bavaro, Los Corales, Cortecito etc etc. Captain Cooks is a joke and has sold out to whomever, Jelly Fish cannot Grill a piece of fish and except for wonderful location all you get is saut?ed or fried fish. We all want grilled fish. The best restaurants we have found in general are #1 O Sole Mio (Italian)in Veron just delicious, Accents Bistro (very gourmet and delicious but expensive) in Punta Cana Village, Balicana (was there but we have not been there recently but have good memories). As I mentioned in my last post Valles on Macao was just not as we had remembered it - but the fish was definitely grilled. Mama Luisa in Punta Cana Village always a fairly good Italian meal. A new Spanish restaurant in Punta Cana opened a week or two ago and I hope to try it. Outside Inn was also ok - but I would not rave about the fish and chips. Noah's for lunch was ok - also have not been there recently. A friend of mine suggests Hurrican Cafe in Bavaro, I think for what she says is very good food. So we will continue to look and hope to find a very good restaurant - and when that happens -- I will report back.