Stupid question time! The final process in SD for temp. visa?

spacemonkey

Aug 13, 2012
I'm sure this question has been answered a 1,000 times, but since the new immigration law went into effect wondering if the process in SD has changed as well. The new law states that the temp visa issued in your home country is just a temp. of your temp visa that has to be finalized in SD. (Got to love the DR) So has anyone recently went as a first time residency applicant to SD, and what does this process entail? Should I bring everything that I sent the embassy? For those that are experienced with going to SD for residency renewals any tips you would like to share? Any help will be greatly appreciated, and even negative responses on my ignorance of DR1 use will be mildly appreciated as well too. Thanks to all!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Spacemonkey,
Not sure if anybody has gone through this yet as it is so new.

Olly

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I had the Residence-Visa issued and glued in my passport. This gives you 60 days to apply for temporary residency at DGM in SD. The process (documents needed, medical, fees etc) at DGM has not changed apart from them requiring the Visa.

Things in the new law that are not related to the Visa do not seem to be in effect at DGM. For example the law states that certain people get to apply for permanent residency directly without first going through the temporary ... among other things. This is not the case at this moment.

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
We are going through this process at the minute and waiting on a decision.We were initially told it would be possible to do in one day of turning everything in at the embassy if we were willing to wait then it got changed on us at last minute to 2-3 days...now were running out of time as we had already booked our flights..so now we have until friday to hear something or were screwed and will have to rebook our flights.
We will be taking everything we submitted here over with us and we have a lawyer there to help us with the next process in Sd but no one seems to know what the new laws are...changes from hour to hour it seems