Safest way to send a Computer/Monitor/Printer to DR

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I'm going to send a Computer, Monitor (LCD) and Printer to DR. What would be the best way to ship them so that they will not be exposed to physical damage or robbery?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Unless it's a very expensive monitor and printer it might be better off buying them here. For example I just bought a 19" AOC e943F monitor new for RD4400 and a year ago an HP printer with refilliable catridges (a must) for RD1300 on sale.

With regard to the computer, since customs will hit you over US200 I would send the pieces in two shipments and have a local guy put it together for you for peanuts. Look on the web for computer kits and a box. keep in mind too that unless you haven an Apple, Dell or HP business computer(as far as I know) the warranties aren't transferable. Finally, the shipping with Vimenpaq charges weight only so the size of the box is no issue.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I have sent computers and printers in the plastic barrels (tanque) along with groceries and other things. Never had a problem because the shipper does everything door-to-door. I have also travelled with brand new 19 inch monitor and 19 inch flat screen television via SDQ on two occasions without paying any taxes. All I did was wrap the monitor box in gift or brown paper.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for the info guys. This shipment will be from NY BTW. @cbmitch9- they don't open the barrels? I think sending it this way would be the best way since it can be protected from physical damage.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
If it is one monitor that's 19 inch or smaller, they will not open it if you declare what's in there. The opening of the barrels are randomly done. I use Montero Shipping. You might have to pay a small sum for shipping the CPU though.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
as far as I know, computers are import free... but not the peripherals (printers, monitors, external drives, etc...)

BelgianK

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
If it is one monitor that's 19 inch or smaller, they will not open it if you declare what's in there. The opening of the barrels are randomly done. I use Montero Shipping. You might have to pay a small sum for shipping the CPU though.

Ive been using them also. Like the fact that when you buy a box @$5, that amount is deducted when you ship the box; so basically its free. Also, currently sending 3 boxes for $160. Where do you guys get your barrels from?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ive been using them also. Like the fact that when you buy a box @$5, that amount is deducted when you ship the box; so basically its free. Also, currently sending 3 boxes for $160. Where do you guys get your barrels from?

Mudanza sells them...I don't know of a shortcut

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
William,how do I contact Mudanza,I have a friend in Samana wants to sent barrell from Michigan to Samana.

My mudanza is from NYC, not sure how to help from MI.
If not a barrel, you could ship to Awilda or Montero in NYC and they would ship it on from there.
I have done that w/ UPS from Phila to Awilda inNYCThen on to Cabrera

Once the mudanza sees the boxes, he prices them and you either mail a check or pay on arrival in RD.

@lisaguess
I think there will be a Xmas exemption for arriving goods if you can wait until then

Awlida in Queens NY, Montero Shipping in NYC are good door - door mudanzas