That little blue light in your instrument cluster

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Is it me, or are more and more people driving at night with their headlights on main beam all of the time?

Maybe it's more noticeable since the advent of these cheap Chinese HID lamp conversions. Every Tom, Dick, Harry and Papi has them now.

What can be done to educate these selfish arseholes that are intent on blinding all and sundry when it's dark?

I drove back from Santiago to Cabarete tonight and I reckon more than 50% would not dip their headlights. If you give them a courtesy flash, they just dip their lights, then put them back up again!

It makes you just want brighter and brighter headlights yourself so you can give them a taste of their own medicine. Sometimes I've thought about mounting a pair of aircraft landing lights on the front of my car! Now that would give them an instant sunburn!

But seriously, it is making night driving quite dangerous these days.

The only thing that will help you are the Aircraft landing lights mounted in the front of your car. Now you know what to look after next time you are on Ebay or an Army surplus store.

Yeees you must also place a boobytrap on them because someone will try to steal them from you at the end.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Buy brighter lights or a cluster of laser pointer pens and blind them.

You will not change the mentality here, so don't waste your time trying.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The only thing that will help you are the Aircraft landing lights mounted in the front of your car. Now you know what to look after next time you are on Ebay or an Army surplus store.

Yeees you must also place a boobytrap on them because someone will try to steal them from you at the end.

I have them at work. They are spare sealed beam units for a Boeing 767. Halogen 500W at 24v. I would have to rig up an extra battery and some heavy duty wiring, but they would be easy to fit. They can illuminate a runway from 10 miles away, so imagine what they could do if attached to a car!

I like the laser idea too!

Unfortunately night driving is a necessity for me, and I am getting fed up with it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have them at work. They are spare sealed beam units for a Boeing 767. Halogen 500W at 24v. I would have to rig up an extra battery and some heavy duty wiring, but they would be easy to fit. They can illuminate a runway from 10 miles away, so imagine what they could do if attached to a car!

I like the laser idea too!

Unfortunately night driving is a necessity for me, and I am getting fed up with it.

the problem is that you blind them, then they lose their equilibrium and plow into you. learn to live with it. Dominicans do not dip their high beam.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I feel you. At least in Punta Cana we've got a lot of foreigners driving around so when you flash your lights at them they usually dip them but then you've always got a jerk with really strong lights that flashes at you, dips them then blinds you just as you pass.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A fatal combination is when you're being blinded by one moron in an oncoming vehicle before you spot another moron driving a motorbike or vehicle without rear lights in front of you.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
LOl I know how you feel fortunately me my Lightson my trick are super bright on high beam so when the refuse to turn theirs down I blast them with mine LOL Just life in the DR it will never change unless mabe the Government invests in more street lights!!!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Bermy, that's a good way to get into an accident. A few suggestions:

1) If possible, limit your night driving.

2) If you MUST drive at night, go slow. Remember, the potholes that were there in the daytime haven't moved. Add motos without lights, pedestrians, and Lord-knows-what, and it's not a horrible idea to cut your speed.

3) When approached by someone refusing to drop high beams, look away and towards the shoulder. Keep a relative distance from the shoulder as you pass. This will help your nightvision return faster.

4) If possible, limit your night driving. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And two years down the line you still have not revealed where I can get a pair of the babies!! I have some Sylvania H7s that I am gonna try out..and I even like the idea of the peso, but I think I will go to Ochoa and by a bag of 1"washers...cheaper in the long run...

HB

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its a dick measuring contest. The guy with the brightest blinding headlights wins. Nothing you can do about it, its a DR thing. The positive is that when you go out and buy eyeball burning headlights the others will recognize you as "the man" and will dim their lights. If they dont dim you are simply not bright enough and are not a real player. Other positive is that you will see the occassional horse, cow, person, moto, etc on the dark roads.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Its a dick measuring contest. The guy with the brightest blinding headlights wins. Nothing you can do about it, its a DR thing. The positive is that when you go out and buy eyeball burning headlights the others will recognize you as "the man" and will dim their lights. If they dont dim you are simply not bright enough and are not a real player. Other positive is that you will see the occassional horse, cow, person, moto, etc on the dark roads.
Disagree.

The problem is there are very few street lights (that work) and the lines on the roads...if they exist...are either void of reflective material or old.

I understand the need for really bright lights. What I don't understand is courtesy of not dimming them. THAT's Dominican. But I don't think THEY think they're being rude.