temporary residency - new law

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, I'm posting a new thread to point the new e law about temporary residency application.
Now, it seems that the process must go through a residency visa, asked to a DR consulate... Has this new law taken effect?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you mean must they start the process from your home country then yes it has, apparently. Proof of financial solvency, medical note from doctor, invitation or other proof of reason to be wanting to live in DR (job offer, wife, other), sponsor/guarantor (someone with a steady job who will support you or pay you deportation costs), full criminal background check from your national police HQ, all must be taken/sent to the nearest Dominican Embassy where it is scanned through to SD and the decision made, if yes then your Residency application visa stamped into your passport, and you are free to enter and begin the process for the second time in DR, this time with a medical in SD and a criminal history check on time in DR. If you have a Dominican wife you can get permanent residency straight off and no need for provisional.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Sack your lawyer.

You sure? Why I have to do provisional first then being (legally) married w/ my Dominican wife since 15 years?

Sack your lawyer!
Rules now in place.

Foreign nationals seeking residency in the Dominican Republic fall into two categories: a) those who may apply immediately for permanent residency; and b) those who first must apply first for temporary residency. The following applicants may apply immediately for permanent residency status without having to previously obtain temporary residency status:

1) Investors of at least 200,000 USD in local businesses (including free zones and government contracts) or in local financial instruments.

2) Retirees with a monthly pension of at least 1,500 USD (plus 250 USD per dependent).

3) Applicants with monthly income of at least 2,000 USD for five years or more (rentistas).

4) Applicants related to Dominicans or to foreigners with permanent residency status in DR (spouses and children).

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
and you can still do it from here, if...

you can get your police check in your home-country online...
you can get your birthcertificate online...

both apostilled...

and you can show you have been here for at least 3 year...

BelgianK

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Just called the Doctora. She says definitely NO. One has to start with the Residencia Provisional. She will check again, but as belgiank knows too, she has VERY good connections...

Maybe your information is not up to date?

Sack your lawyer!
Rules now in place.

Foreign nationals seeking residency in the Dominican Republic fall into two categories: a) those who may apply immediately for permanent residency; and b) those who first must apply first for temporary residency. The following applicants may apply immediately for permanent residency status without having to previously obtain temporary residency status:

1) Investors of at least 200,000 USD in local businesses (including free zones and government contracts) or in local financial instruments.

2) Retirees with a monthly pension of at least 1,500 USD (plus 250 USD per dependent).

3) Applicants with monthly income of at least 2,000 USD for five years or more (rentistas).

4) Applicants related to Dominicans or to foreigners with permanent residency status in DR (spouses and children).

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
This is the new information from Licalotte Manaya, who works for Guzman Ariza in the santo domingo offices. This info is less than a week old, updated.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I am waiting for further information. Can't imagine that she is wrong or not up to date. Will post when I hear from her.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I applied with the Visa at DGM 3 weeks ago. The procedures at DGM do not seem to have changed from what I can tell. I specifically asked if I get to apply for the permanent residency since I'm married to a Dominican citizen. they were not aware of this and in fact unaware of any changes at all apart from the Visa requirement. It is of course possible that later on they issue me a permanent residence based on my paperwork, but at this moment the new law does not appear to be fully implemented.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I applied with the Visa at DGM 3 weeks ago. The procedures at DGM do not seem to have changed from what I can tell. I specifically asked if I get to apply for the permanent residency since I'm married to a Dominican citizen. they were not aware of this and in fact unaware of any changes at all apart from the Visa requirement. It is of course possible that later on they issue me a permanent residence based on my paperwork, but at this moment the new law does not appear to be fully implemented.

I do not think this lack of awareness of the new laws should be a surprise to anyone. It should all be sorted out over time. Until that date in the hopefully not too distant future the lawyers will say one thing, the Dominican Embassies will say another, and the Migracion department will say a third thing.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you can use the services and it's confusion to benefit you then you should. If Licelotte is getting permanent residencies straight off for her clients rather than go through it twice and pay twice, then no matter what your lawyers saying, if they aren't mentioning the new regs then they are not saving you time and money, and so in my mind not doing a very worthy job.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
foreigners married to a dominican spouse can apply Here in the Country directly for permanent residency, but there was a Time Frame(how long married to the DR-Spouse), and of course the marriage has to be a Legal Dominican Marriage.

and the other possibility is if you have a dominican child with your dominican spouse, married or not doesn't matter, you can apply for the permanent residency directly and right here in the country, the child of course must be registered legally with the Court of Adolecentes y Ninos and you need to be mentioned as the Parent in the Child's Registry Papers.

the specific Birthcertificate of a Child for such procedure is the one where the Foreign Parent is mentioned as the Person declaring the Birth/registering the Birth of the Child, that specific Birthcertificate is named
Acta de Nacimiento En-Extensa

yeah it's weird with so many different birthcertificates here for different purposes,
but it brings the Government quiet some big bucks every year issuing the different b-cert's for the many things where they are required.

Mike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I fit into this but my lawyer keeps insisting it is not possible to go for the permanent one right away but one has to apply for the temporary (provisional?) one first...

foreigners married to a dominican spouse can apply Here in the Country directly for permanent residency, but there was a Time Frame(how long married to the DR-Spouse), and of course the marriage has to be a Legal Dominican Marriage.

and the other possibility is if you have a dominican child with your dominican spouse, married or not doesn't matter, you can apply for the permanent residency directly and right here in the country, the child of course must be registered legally with the Court of Adolecentes y Ninos and you need to be mentioned as the Parent in the Child's Registry Papers.

the specific Birthcertificate of a Child for such procedure is the one where the Foreign Parent is mentioned as the Person declaring the Birth/registering the Birth of the Child, that specific Birthcertificate is named
Acta de Nacimiento En-Extensa

yeah it's weird with so many different birthcertificates here for different purposes,
but it brings the Government quiet some big bucks every year issuing the different b-cert's for the many things where they are required.

Mike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I still doubt that... and what makes her sure I would come back to continue the procedure with her after a year since it will become easier to do it without a lawyer anyway for renewals etc.?

No, something appears to be a misunderstanding or such here...

Then tell her to silence herself, she knows not of what she speaks:rolleyes: and is looking for a double fee.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
To me the law is clear. You can apply directly for permanent residency if you are an investor, over US$200,000, or if you are in receipt of a pension or investment income on a regular basis. That is what I think the law says - although I am no lawyer. It appears to say nothing about being married to a Dominican, although that comes into play if you want to apply for citizenship.

Matilda

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes. And being (10 yrs +?) married w/ a Dominican doesn't count. Even then you need to bring by "papel de buena conducta" from your home country and a birth certificate, both apostilled from a Dominican Embassy in your country of origin...

We were hoping 15 yrs legally married and a 9 year old son together would count for something, but no. OK they wouldn't throw me out in that case but to get my legal status straight there are no exemptions as to go through the normal procedures...

Oh, wait, the exemption is in a case like mine one can apply for the residency visa from within the DR, but the apostilles are still needed for the two above mentioned papers...

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I have employed Guzman Ariza to process my residency. which we are in the middle of as we speak. I have been advised I can and so am applying directly for permanent residency without firstly applying for the temporary residency. However the initial step from home is to apply for the temp res visa to get me into the country to make the real application, which will be permanent.
I was advised I can do this as I fall into the 'married to, or have a child with Dominican status' . Hope this helps.