anyone has tricom internet in SD?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was checking prices for tricom internet and it seems the package I want (4meg download) is 400 pesos cheaper than claro's. Tricom doesn't require you to have a phone line installed, you can have internet alone without the added charges of a home phone. Does anyone have tricom internet in SD and how is the service and quality (speed)? How well it works on netflex and voip calls?
AZB

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
AZB,

I've had tricom adsl internet for over 2 years with little problems. I had the 1.5mbit initially then moved up to 2mbit about 1 year ago. Speed is always constant and internet drop outs are rare. I currently get 1.86 mbit download (due to pppoe overhead).

My only issue is in my area they will not increase my speed pasted 2mbit even thought my line will support up to 9mbit. They state in my area that 2mbit is max since they have not deployed cable modem service which is what they provide speeds above 2mbit using that technology.

Hope this info helps.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We rented an apartment in SD for a month last year and they had Tricom internet. We only had a couple of drops, and Magic Jack was so clear my son said we sounded like we were in the next room.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I had Tricom a couple of years ago and had to change it the service was so bad, sorry to be the odd one out but it was dropping off 5 or 6 times a day. I used magic jack a few times from it and it was alright. We were based around 8 1/2 malecon if that makes any odds. And we weren't getting what we paid for, they sell the package but can't provide it in full.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I will be living off independencia with cross street, nunez de casares area. I think its considered a reasonably close area for good service. The lights are almost always on and the cerveceria nacional is one block away. So I guess I will be in the right area to get good service of internet.
AZB

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Yup been using it about a year over in the los girasoles area down the street from to the big tricom building on Avenida Monumental initially had the 1.5 speed they told me the faster wasnt available, then about a month later called and upgraded right over the phone in 5 min. Pretty good most of time but at night can slow down a bit on occasion.

Installation was excellent and very professional.

Pretty good with coming out to troubleshoot, not sure if its because the apt is 5 min down the street from the building.

Feb 7, 2007
Tricom not available where I live, but Claro will give you 20% additional for PPPOE overhead and speed loss due to attenuation and distance. I have 3mbps down / 768 kbps up, and my modem synchronizes at 3.648 mbps down and 928 kbps up.