Is EVAN RODRIGUEZ the third Dominican to go to the NFL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Huge, 240 pounder Evan Rodriguez from North Bergen, New Jersey, U WVA and Temple was chosen inthe forth round by the Chicago Bears, the 111th selection of the NFL Draft.

I was watching him tonight and does have good hands...Victor Cruz is solid at the Giants, now Evan...Luis Castillo was released by the Chargers.

HB

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Stalin Colinet was the first Dominican in the NFL, and I thought Cruz had an African-American father and a Puerto Rican mother.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Strange, I have repeatedly heard him referred to as Dominican...hummm...Dr. Ross needs to get in here. Stalin Colinet? Never heard of him. Who'd he play for???
Cruz' wikipedia page says he is the son of a Puerto Rican...I am thinking (based purely on the fact that he is from Patterson) that is momma was Dominican living in Puerto Rico. There are few PRs in Paterson, is why...would love to talk some sense into the kid...He took a vicious hit the other night. It hurt me to see it!!!

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, I saw that and thought about writing something. Strange that not much was made of that fact about Stalin. So much publicity over Luis Castillo, but then again he was a Big Ten player and a first round draft choice. These other guys are third and fourth rounders.

Evan impressed the heck out of me last night. Great hands, man...together with size and strength!! Hope he goes far. So we have:
Stalin Colinet (who must have some Haitian in him)
Luis Castillo
Victor Cruz--if my suspicions are correct
and maybe
Evan Rodriguez

Well, it's a start.

HB

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
According to Victor Cruz's book, Victor Cruz Out of the Blue, his grandmother came from Puerto Rico. He also writes about having to fight Dominican gangs like the MSD, Market Street Dominicans.

Stalin Jolinet was an outstanding college football player, making the First Team All-Big East and Best Defensive Player in New England as a senior at Boston College.

The Jolinet surname may have found its way to the DR via France, but its early origins is probably Anglo-Saxon, much like Almonte, which most Dominicans probably consider Spanish.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
" Cruz, who describes himself as half Puerto Rican and half black, grew up in Paterson, N.J., a city with a large Hispanic population, though Cruz was one of the few Spanish-speaking players on his Paterson Catholic High School team. (“I think the kicker was like the only other one,” he said.) Still, he never second-guessed his decision to focus on the sport "

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/s...er-mixes-cultures-and-catches-touchdowns.html

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Dominican or not Cruz is my favorite receiver in my favorite team. Few more weeks until the football season starts and the real baseball season to start as well.
Now only if I can teach my wife on the importance of me watching football...

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Dominican or not Cruz is my favorite receiver in my favorite team. Few more weeks until the football season starts and the real baseball season to start as well.
Now only if I can teach my wife on the importance of me watching football...

Sorry about the other night. Your boy cruz looked a little off. I think it had to do with the Cowboys new corners.

Say hello to morris Claiborne #24 Dallas Cowboys