Wierd computer problem, need advise

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
To start with I have my Internet service with Claro in Santiago.
Up until 2 weeks ago my average download speed was/is 300kbs..........
My desktop is now averaging between 60 and 125 kbs..............very slow......
my laptop, using the same service in the house (wi-fi) from the same router is getting the normal 300kbs........
I have run several tests and everything is supposedly virus/malware free............
So, what would make my desktop download at a much slower speed...........
For the testing, I used one computer at a time and downloaded the same item........
one download item at a time............
I have also run several download speed tests on the desktop and they come back at 300kbs......
Everything else on the puters are normal..........
Any help is appreciated..........

B in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a problem with Claro that needs to be resolved, it is not your computer. Does your desktop download and then stop for 10 or 20 seconds and then start downloading again? While your wireles works fine?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
There is a problem with Claro that needs to be resolved, it is not your computer. Does your desktop download and then stop for 10 or 20 seconds and then start downloading again? While your wireles works fine?

I have had that problems on some sites, like Rapidshare, never tried the laptop on Rapidshare.

Will see about testing that later today.

Thanks.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Check your ethernet cable going from your desktop to the modem. Make sure cable is at least cat 6 and has no kinks or exposed wires. If all is well, then change ports and see if that works. If after doing all of the above and the problem still persists, then check to make sure that you have the latest device driver for your ethernet card. You can also check your ethernet card configuration but I doubt that is the problem unless you or someone else has changed it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have had that problems on some sites, like Rapidshare, never tried the laptop on Rapidshare.

Will see about testing that later today.

Thanks.

Just yesterday I had a tech from Claro that I deal with all the time come over to my house. He said that there is a problem now with Claro that needs to be fixed and not something with the computer. Mine works well, but stalls sometimes like I said. Don't go crazy in your house, as it is will not help.

merlyn555

Jun 23, 2012
There are several things you can try... when was the last time you emptied your internet cache? excessive amounts of files will slow you way down. Also try cleaning your registry and defraging the hard drive cleaning out the garbage once and a while really helps.

It is also advisable to run more than one safety program at a time like I run Komodo and Superantispyware together at start up. Run regular updates on all your protection programs.

Hope some of this helps.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
A lot of what has been mentioned has been done already, some not.
Don is coming over this morning and help me try to resolve this issue............
I will post all the results after we have exhausted what has been advised above..........
Please keep giving options as I will try all of them, thank you......
And yes Sky, every once in awhile the download stutters.......

B in Santiago

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

I've been having a problem recently on wifi. I lose my internet connection for a minute, plus or minus, and then it comes back on its own.

I wonder if that is part of the same problem.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I've been having a problem recently on wifi. I lose my internet connection for a minute, plus or minus, and then it comes back on its own.

I wonder if that is part of the same problem.

It is one and the same.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Tried another port on the router and Don tried wifi on my desktop.............
Nothing is working..........
Called Claro customer service and they are going to come to the house........
Try downloading a 6.5gb file at 50 kbs.............lol

B in Santiago

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

Ok, That's Advanced System Care (ASC), I already use that............the paid version....
I also use Malwarebytes and Avira.............everything reads clean..........
I defragged the puter, changed the port on the router, and tried wi-fi............
When I start a download, there is a 6 second hesitation before it starts, this is new.................
Have done several download tests from several companies including Claros test..............
They all come out better than what I am paying for.............
Claro is going to come to the house, run the same test and tell me no es problema Claros.......
Time to pack up my puter and see Marco in Sosua...........

B in Santiago