Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ANYONE WITh a green thumb ? WANT TO GROW VEGGIES AND HERBS THIS YEAR IN DR

Hi I am looking to do some gardening boosting a culinary desire for freshness here on the north coast and if ANY EXPERIENCED VEGGY AND HERB GROWERS HERE IN THE DR can give some info to sources , best kinds in this warm tropical climate ,and any good tips to start me off better than , just jumping in and having poor to mediocre results .I have experience with lots of plants but no food gardening in the DR . THANKS

2. Likes Linda Stapleton liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no success with that nothing i planted grew well... It was tomatoes, eggplants, sunflower and dill.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Used to do pretty well in the UK but it doesn't seem so easy here, especially if you don't want to use chemicals. Hoping to try again with a communal vegetable plot where I live. I've tried in pots but not much success. There is a great veggie farm just near the entrance to La Cienega between Cabarete and Sosua. They seem to have it down to a fine art with a limited range of produce, but what they grow is really good.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a container garden and I've been successful planting herbs and veggies.
    I have rosemary,basil,mint,cilantro,thyme,parsley and oregano,bellpepper,cukes
    yes,cukes(the bush variety)which is suitable for growing in pots,tomatoes,cherry
    and roma.

I started from seeds,which I brought with me from the states,along with Miracle Grow.
    Use the plastic containers not the terra cotta type which tend to get over heated in the
    sun and will damage the roots.It will stunt the growth.

Herbs grow best in partial sun.I have mine in an area in my garden where they receive
    enough sunlight and shade to cool them off

Buy some good soil,apply Miracle Grow or if you go to a garden center,I'm sure they have
    other type of fertilizer.Apply once,every two weeks,and most important water your container
    garden twice a day,morning and evening,since the water evaporates quickly in the hot sun.

If you can prefer the plants instead of seeds,go for it,you will be successful.

6. Likes arrugala, cobraboy, Aguaita29, pollogringo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

We found the tropical seeds worked better... from the local hardware stores.

Also, we do better planting in Nov/Dec... carrots , beets, squash, tomatoes, thyme, onions, etc.

Yes, tierra buena and water.

The summer heat doesn;t seem to work so well

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember to place irrigationtubes in the ground around the roots for good water supply. Then you just have to worry if there is enough water in the watertank (Use rainwater collected from you roof, it is reccomended )

Here is a link i found,maybe there is some tips here you can use.

Drip Irrigation | Wasatch Community Gardens

Aaaand some plants dies in the direct sunshine down here.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Plant in an area in your garden where you receive equal amounts of sunlight and shade
    and you'll be fine.

10. Likes arrugala liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Try self-watering grow boxes. They work great here. You can build them very inexpensively, under $30...

12. Likes arrugala liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you make them roughly speaking without the need of great detail ? Thanks

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

well you could just do a raised bed and fill with better quality soil rather than containers if you need a bigger area

15. Likes arrugala liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast