$$CDN and Exchange Rate

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Does anybody have any recent experience exchanging Cdn $$$ lately?

The Cdn $$ is higher than its US counterpart these days but my hunch is that the cambios aren't keeping pace.

Canadians may still be wise to buy US $$ to bring or wire to RD.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does anybody have any recent experience exchanging Cdn $$$ lately?

The Cdn $$ is higher than its US counterpart these days but my hunch is that the cambios aren't keeping pace.

Canadians may still be wise to buy US $$ to bring or wire to RD.

Not when I just checked. Forex converters are showing the Canadian dollar at 0.99 to a US dollar. The demand for Canadian dollars has normally produced an exchange rate a couple of DR pesos under what you would expect based upon the Canadian to US dollar value.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Always seems to be that way... CDN$ gets shorted.

I usually deal in US$$ but that means two conversions if your base funds are CDN.

Truly, I'm ambivalent..BUT, my Cdn ancestry kicks in sometimes.
Recognition when recognition is due...Puhleeeze!!!?

And Windy, That 1.oo+ isn;t new... you just need to hit "Invert" to see the history.
It may not last.... in the 70's the CDN $$ was 1.05 or so, almost 1.10 at times.

Go ahead, mention the 62 - 63 cents in the late 90's, early 2000's....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob, you are right, my mistake. At that level I would epect a Canadian dollar to be between 1 and 2 RD pesos less than a US dollar .
I just did an Online transfer from my RBC account in Canada to my $US Dollar account in BHD. 1500 American cost me 1510 Canadian, and that?s including the transfer fee.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You eked it out, made out ahead on the currency.

I'm tempted to try a Scotia - Scotia transfer in Cdn $$ just to see the results..........
But , I bet a phone could cure my curiousity.

And Bob, re #6 post - you now need to convert to DRP..... we need to look at the benefit/advantage of going directly to DRp from CDN.
That was the point of my post.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is the last month of the Cdn $$ cf The US $$........ up 3 cents or so.

Exchange Rates Graph (Canadian Dollar, US Dollar) - X-Rates

I wouldn't think our cambio friends have adjusted their rates accordingly.
But then, they aren't really in the currency game.... bank rates don't apply here.

Their end user might be different

I have seen the explanation being that US dollars are used to pay foreign debt and therefor are in demand more than Canadian dollars.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have seen the explanation being that US dollars are used to pay foreign debt and therefor are in demand more than Canadian dollars.

Probably right, its just a pain to go CDN to US to DRP for those that need to.

I wonder what Scotiabank does? Whether they are more market based ?