Letter of guarantee - Exaclty whats needed?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Ok I know you need a letter of guarantee signed by a Dominican or a permanent resident of the DR for the residency thingy. What exactly needs to be on this letter? Do they need documents from their bank? Copies of their car ownership? Copies of their property papers? Or is it just a letter that says they will be responsible for me with copies of their cedula?

I am in the process of renewing my permanent residency for the 3rd time. It is not expired. I was prepared to just go and pay like last time. I was shocked. So I got the medical. Waiting for the results. When I go mid next week I will have the buena conducta and trying to ind someone to do the guaranteer. Just have to know exactly what they need and how to do it.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I am in the process of renewing my permanent residency for the 3rd time. It is not expired. I was prepared to just go and pay like last time. I was shocked. So I got the medical. Waiting for the results. When I go mid next week I will have the buena conducta and trying to ind someone to do the guaranteer. Just have to know exactly what they need and how to do it.

I was told here that if your P-R has not expired then you don't need to be doing all that, it's as simple as in and out, same as before.
Read:http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/125...manent-residents-under-10-year-residency.html

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I was just there last week, Friday to be exact. I was ready to pay my $500 for renewal but nooo... They gave me this. I called a lwayer friend of mine. He said I was wrong and came to migracion to see and it is correct. This is the paper they gave me to renew my residency.
migracion.jpg

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
So much for the very authoritative words/explanations I got by Dr1 posters.

Nothing like having hard proof.

I don't no if I want to go through all this residency process over again.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Here's what I found on the website here in the states:

Notarized Letter of Guarantee. Signed by a Dominican or a legal resident alien in the Dominican Republic specifying the type of relationship with the beneficiary of the visa. Also, the guarantor certifies to the Dominican authorities to undertake any expenses incurred on account of the visa beneficiary. The guarantor remains financially committed in the event that deportation is required if the recipient should violate the Dominican law. This letter of guarantee must be signed by a notary of the Dominican Republic and legalized by the Attorney General's Office of the Dominican Republic.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
This is all too much, people are really going to start packing up and shipping out somewhere they feel wanted. The DR just gets bigger and bigger.

By the way, just a photocopy of the cedula and where they work would be enough, it is for the initial visa which is more thorough so will be enough for you.
what am I saying, applying logic to this, I should know better.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
So much for thinking that the only difference between Permanent-Residency and citizenship is the right to vote.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
So much for thinking that the only difference between Permanent-Residency and citizenship is the right to vote.
It still doesn't solve mosts problems as most are resilient to learn fluent Spanish to get citizenship, so they'll still be put off.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
This states the medical exam has to be done on every renewal. I'm not a doctor but it does not sound advisable to be exposed to that old Xray machine every 2-4 years. If this is indeed the case... and the exit penalty stays in place in the long run, it already makes me think about giving up the resicence I don't even have yet :(

baby bori

May 18, 2010
All these prerequisites will drive people away along with the foreign buck....The whole Guarantor process is a pain in the rear a person is a foreigner/ex-pat how many reliable middle -upper class Dominicans are going to be your Guarantor and stick their neck out for you knowing a person for 1 or 2 years is not enough.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
I was always led to believe that those who are already Permanent-Residents are to be safe from the new rules, I didn?t know it?s retroactive.

Tell me Residency Lawyers are not celebrating now.
Those who thought they never need to see their old residency Lawyer again are in for a shock !

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Please help me as I am relatively new here. Are you all saying that to be able to become a PR in the dr you still need a guarantee by a letter from a dominican national?

merlyn555

Jun 23, 2012
I am in the process of applying for my visa to travel to the DR just awaiting the okay from SD.

I got my letter of guarantee from a lawyer in Sosua but it cost me $850US, expensive but necessary for the application for permanant residence. Considering that making the application at the embassy in Ottawa cost me $710CDN I am heavily invested in this process for an old man just looking for a warm beach to lay on.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
And it could be they will continue to squeeze those on residencia rather than citizenship.

It could be a stroke of genius, while we sit and complain about it, it does seem the consensus is that everyone is still going for it, people are now committing to the residency process. Myself and others have continuously said this is a bad idea, people are going to stop, leave the country and go elsewhere, but I have heard much talk, but much more action on the residency front. Bluffing among ourselves manipulates nothing, we are proof of that.
So for them up to now this seems to be working perfectly.

And so to the next step of renewal, this will eventually force people to apply for citizenship, even though they are saying 'no, not me', as above, I'll bet people do. Again bluffing among ourselves gains nothing.

So what happens, the country has many more committed, and with a bit of money. And the next move, force foreigners to invest in property, how? Pass some crazy law to stop long term rentals for none natives? But they have a few years to come up with that, but it is interesting to see this is actually working, people are doing what they say they don't want to do, or won't do. Odd!