Visa for 1yr..is it required for American

hopeful1

Aug 5, 2012
Hi folks,

I'm headed to the DR from the US the beginning of September for a year, Sept - Dec, then return in January - June. I think it's too late for me to get a visa in the next 2 weeks so I'm wondering has anyone entered the country from the US recently and were you allowed to get the tourist card like usual. Any idea what will happen in December when they realize I've been in country for 3 months. This new visa thing is so confusing and some folks are saying it doesn't apply to North Americans, but that's not what the forms say. Should I re-book my ticket and try to get a visa, although that would be a major pain.

Any past experience, opinions, or professional advice is appreciated!

Hopeful1

ps -are the airlines requiring any proof of Visa, etc?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You still get a tourist card for short term, it is the understanding that you can increase it to 3 months while inside the country. If they find you've been inside for 3 months when you leave I doubt anything will happen, just fine you, but I can't be sure, it is impossible to know until 3 months down the line as even immigration don't know at the moment, there will be hundreds of you so I wouldn't worry.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Correct. There are new laws and regulations but still a great amount of confusion. I suspect nobody can give you an answer that is anything but a best guess at this time.