DR developing country or still 3rd world?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Although the topic sounds negative to the DR, it is not my purpose. I do like the DR and as a resident expat to the DR I continue to look for the reasons to stay, or better said, hope there are no scarey realities which justify leaving.
There comes a time where paying rent becomes a little frustrating in terms of investment logic, yet do we really want to purchase here based on the backward legal system. Could we lose our investment in a worse case scenario (sever global crisis)?
I know there are a few posters (we all know them) who promote the DR as a fast moving developing country.
In some ways based on certain hand picked stats, there may be an argument for such. Then there are the scary realities that are so far away and so important (law, safety, rights) do they not prevent the DR from having any hope of reaching such a distinction. example:
Justice System in the Dominican Republic - Timothy Schwartz - Open Salon
After reading stories like this, I dont care about stats, malls, highrises, jeepetas blah blah blah... Without justice!!! all the above mentioned are immaterial and optical illussions like ponds in a desert!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
For me all the progress in the DR is within business at the high end. The country doesn't move or develope in any other way. People who are not linked to business, money and all that brings live in another world those at the top don't even notice.

People's rights are ignored, justice is a farce, everything that is not of financial significance is stagnant and I see no movement in that unless from outsiders trying to make change for Mr unimportant and Mrs tryingtoholdafamilydown.

When people say the country is moving forward they are blinkered, part of the country is moving well, developing well, the cream is flowing. But the dregs are still stuck to the sides forgotten about, left behind.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
Although the topic sounds negative to the DR, it is not my purpose. I do like the DR and as a resident expat to the DR I continue to look for the reasons to stay, or better said, hope there are no scarey realities which justify leaving.
First, you seem to be misusing terms...as far as I know both 3rd-world and developing mean essentially the exact same thing...developing is a more "politically correct" way of saying "under-developed" ("sub-desarrollado") which was the term most often used before by economists and the like...third world came from the old capitalist-communist divide: the capitalist "developed" world, the communist "developed" world, and "everything else", that is, the "3rd world"...that is all.

Anyway, I have no idea who Timothy Schwartz is and what is his agenda (if any)...but I would never judge an entire country based on the account of a single individual (even if I knew who he and his agenda are).

That is not to say that everything he says is false...I'd be surprised if everything he says is true or false...it is just one person's perspective...if I was to come to agree with him, it would be after considering many trust-worthy sources, not just him.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
First, you seem to be misusing terms...as far as I know both 3rd-world and developing mean essentially the exact same thing...developing is a more "politically correct" way of saying "under-developed" ("sub-desarrollado") which was the term most often used before by economists and the like...third world came from the old capitalist-communist divide: the capitalist "developed" world, the communist "developed" world, and "everything else", that is, the "3rd world"...that is all.

Anyway, I have no idea who Timothy Schwartz is and what is his agenda (if any)...but I would never judge an entire country based on the account of a single individual (even if I knew who he and his agenda are).

That is not to say that everything he says is false...I'd be surprised if everything he says is true or false...it is just one person's perspective...if I was to come to agree with him, it would be after considering many trust-worthy sources, not just him.

Oh sorry, forgot to mention, many of the elements Timothy describes I have heard similar stories and examples from Dominicans, Lawyers and longterm expats.This is far from one mans perspective- If you disagree and feel the legal system does not suffer from such events, please explain?

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
DR will be termed a developing nation the day that its government and population accepts and adheres to the rule of law.

Until then the Dominican Republic is a third world country that can embrace new technology but cannot advance its status in the world.

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
DR will be termed a developing nation the day that its government and population accepts and adheres to the rule of law.

Until then the Dominican Republic is a third world country....
Except that developing and 3rd-world mean the same thing (see above post).

BTW, I do hope that you have not chosen to live in the DR, though...what would you CALL someone who CHOOSES to live in a place where its government and population refuse to accept and adhere to the rule of law???

A few words come to mind, but they are likely to be forbidden here.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
i think you would really give the place 2 and a half if you were ranking it on a one two three which is not even the MEANING of third world which was essentially the non aligned nations during the Cold War.

but the DR has a growing middle class, despite the increase in the poor .. but the poor are increasing everywhere, even France.

but two and a half = about like Mexico in its infrastructure, good roads, access to water, indoor plumbing increasing all those markers

as for the rule of law.. well.. that is always a work in progress

the place is corrupt but it is an organized corruption, if that makes any sense

wierdscott

Jan 28, 2012
Go to India. Anywhere in India. Then come back, and decide if DR is 3rd world. DR suddenly seems like Gotham City. On the other hand, DR will never be a "developed" country based on their economy. Maybe if they were to find some serious iol reserves.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
the place is corrupt but it is an organized corruption, if that makes any sense
I think the term is "institutional corruption," i.e. it is embedded and expected.

It's become a perk of Public Office. Seriously, don't you think a bureaucrat/politician who *isn't* corrupt is a tad...well...weird? And sorta out of touch?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
There comes a time where paying rent becomes a little frustrating in terms of investment logic, yet do we really want to purchase here based on the backward legal system. Could we lose our investment in a worse case scenario (sever global crisis)?
I know there are a few posters (we all know them) who promote the DR as a fast moving developing country.
In some ways based on certain hand picked stats, there may be an argument for such. Then there are the scary realities that are so far away and so important (law, safety, rights) do they not prevent the DR from having any hope of reaching such a distinction. example:
Justice System in the Dominican Republic - Timothy Schwartz - Open Salon
After reading stories like this, I dont care about stats, malls, highrises, jeepetas blah blah blah... Without justice!!! all the above mentioned are immaterial and optical illussions like ponds in a desert!

If you're still with question marks bout' where the DR falls into the developing or third world countries status and state of matters, boy! Do I have the quick and true solution to clear your mind quick!

Come to the DR, any town, any place, not matter how bad and backwaters it may seem or feel (and smell too).
Spend sometime there and just go about the same biz one would in a first world country.

You'll soon notice there are plenty of things that are lacking for it to offer you a first world country service or comparable comforts.

After you settle in for the week, then pack your things and head to the western part of the country, present your passport and stay one week in Haiti doing exactly what you just did in the DR, with all the shortcomings and lacking.

Then you can come back and share with us what you NOW think the DR is at, a developing nation or another third world country!

Enjoy your trip and keep your hands clean all the times across the border so you don't come back horizontal and feet first...

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
I think culture, mindset, education have a lot to do with that. I've been to a lot of countries that aren't as nice as the DR, in fact there are a lot of places in America that aren't as nice as the DR. However I do think that being able to turn the light switch, turn on the faucet whenever you wish or need to, dialing 911 and be upset when the cops show up in 5 min instead of 3 and not be afraid of them. In the first world a power outage is breaking news. In that aspect these little things play a huge role in my opinion whether or not a country is first world; and the DR has a long way to go.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DR is like putty (not to be mistaken for puta) that changes shape depending on hands that hold it. to some (you know who you are) it is a leading world economy. to others more of medieval ages with woolly mammoths.
if you are dominican and you come from rich and influential family DR is the land of opportunities and cash making machine, very much dynamically developing country. to a foreigner from the first world who visits DR the first time it is campo sin luz. until they see SD - very much like any capital in the world, first or last.
on bad days even the optimists can be led astray from the path of DR loving with lack of power, lack of drinking water, another salmonella attack, street flooding and the apathy of some dominicans.

personally i could not care less for any set definitions, for economy, banking, social development and other factors deciding in which category DR should fall. i think it is a developing country. with some woolly mammoths. but working on it. in all, i have positive outlook for the future of DR. surely, they do have a long way to go but in time... yes... i saw my country move from the communism to a steady economy, i saw people change. and i hope DR can change too. and will change. for the better.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
If you're still with question marks bout' where the DR falls into the developing or third world countries status and state of matters, boy! Do I have the quick and true solution to clear your mind quick!

Come to the DR, any town, any place, not matter how bad and backwaters it may seem or feel (and smell too).
Spend sometime there and just go about the same biz one would in a first world country.

You'll soon notice there are plenty of things that are lacking for it to offer you a first world country service or comparable comforts.

After you settle in for the week, then pack your things and head to the western part of the country, present your passport and stay one week in Haiti doing exactly what you just did in the DR, with all the shortcomings and lacking.

Then you can come back and share with us what you NOW think the DR is at, a developing nation or another third world country!

Enjoy your trip and keep your hands clean all the times across the border so you don't come back horizontal and feet first...

Why do you and your posse always want to challenge Haiti. There are other countries you could compare, but you never do. Go ahead Pichardo compare DR to places like Panama and Costa Rica. Panama City and San Jose can be very chaotic at times, but they are both lovely cities IMO as well as Santo Domingo. The thing Santo Domingo does not have is a suburb life like San Jose very similar to the US suburb life. San Jose has its problems like any other major city in the world, but compared to Santo Domingo Costa Rica capital has a small edge because of its suburbs.

When you drive outside of San Jose you have communties like Santa Ana, Escazu, Los Yoses etc. Outside of Santo Domigo Boca Chica and Juan Dolio. Now I am not knocking Boca Chica but it is a place I rather avoid.

Now Mr Pichardo can I challenge you? I want you to exit out of SDQ, then I want you to go and exit out of SJO. There is a BIG difference on your experience just at the airport. Now imagine once you get into the city.

BTW Pretend you are not Dominican and it is your first time in Santo Domingo. Enjoy your trip and make sure you have small bills handy because you have to tip for everything in SDQ.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Actually I have been living here for almost 4 years now, so my observations are not from afar like yourself. I see more than just your "glam fotos". You, as always missed the point which is not "we are more progressive than Haiti therefore a developing country", of course its developing in many areas, agreed, but with such a flawed corrupt legal system that far from "serves and protects" its people, will it ever have the distinction that YOU feel it already has?
Did you read the article? because as I said its not just a story, its shared and has been experienced by many. Is this not a critical concern? hardcore criminals being put back on the streets after paying small bail amounts never again to be prosecuted. Now it clearly makes sense why crime is where it is-no serious reprecussions.

I was with a Dominican realtor yesterday and his opinion of all the new construction growth including the malls was the same as 90% of the people you speak to here, and you can guess what that is??

More fotos, graphs and statistics to show improvement please, we know what they are worth!!! Distorted facts!!!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

One more thing I myself and the people of Haiti STIPULATE that on August 24 2012 the Dominican Republic is a more stable and progressive country then Haiti. Now that is out of the way, Pichardo you can NEVER compare your country to Haiti again regarding anything that pertains to its economy, government, quality of life, etc NADA!!!

Your are an educated man right? you do know you can make an argument without contrast and compare. Then you pick Haiti of all the nations on the planet you pick Haiti.

BTW You do know the day will come when you will not be able to look down on Haitians and Haiti.