Is there a department store in Sosua??

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I think the closest you'll find is probably La Sirena in Puerto Plata... but it's a poor excuse for a Sears or Walmart alternative. Selection and quality of items is not great.

Pricesmart (among others) in Santiago is perhaps a better option.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are rumors, hopefully passed on by yours truly, that La Sirena has been/will be purchased by WalMart, but so far it is just a rumor. As CFA123 points out the La Sirena in POP is the closest thing and is like a mini-WalMart. PriceSmart is a members only shopping club in Santiago and is like a mini-COSTCO.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
There are rumors, hopefully passed on by yours truly, that La Sirena has been/will be purchased by WalMart, but so far it is just a rumor. As CFA123 points out the La Sirena in POP is the closest thing and is like a mini-WalMart. PriceSmart is a members only shopping club in Santiago and is like a mini-COSTCO.

Is pricemart worth becoming a member of? Are there significant savings when compared to the other major supermarkets in the country, sounds interesting, I didn't know it was similar to a costco, does it have those hotdogs and a soda for 1$ ? I wish lol

juant

May 9, 2012
A department store something like a Sears or Walmart?
There are no department stores like those mentioned in Sosua. There is Playero supermarket. Check Puerto Plata, maybe there. I know they have La Sirena in Puerto Plata.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is pricemart worth becoming a member of? Are there significant savings when compared to the other major supermarkets in the country, sounds interesting, I didn't know it was similar to a costco, does it have those hotdogs and a soda for 1$ ? I wish lol

PRICESMART was formed by former COSTCO employees who copy catted the idea and opened PRICESMARTs in Latin America. If it was APPLE, they would have sued them for patent infringement.

Funny you should ask about the hot dogs. You do wish. I had them recently at a COSTCO in the US for the first time. PRICESMART does sell pizza, fried chicken, and hot dogs and some other items in their restaurant area. I don't recall the hot dog price, but I think it was more like $3 just for the hot dog. You can buy the COSTCO hot dogs in the freezer section, also at a high price, but they are good. As pizza in the DR goes, it is fair and a lot better than most DR pizzas which isn't saying much. While nothing is the bargain in PRICESMART that it is in COSTCO in the US, they also face zero competition for many items so they can maintain inflated prices.

I think it is worth it because they carry what appears to be new product, TVs for example, and a competitive price to other stores which may be selling refurbished items. They also have a number of products that are just not available anywhere else in the DR. You can just walk in and take a look around, there is no charge for that. If you want to purchase something, they will quickly sign you up as a member.