big hugs to DR1

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I was juist browsing some of the buttons and found the thread on Where is MountainAnnie which had FOUR pages of all of you wondering where and how I was. THANK YOU so much! It was true that I was in trouble and I am sure that all of your concern helped me to get out of it.. I just believe that . that it matters that folks. even folks who have never met you feel a concern for you.

I am sorry that I had you all worried// should have thought of that and had someone post for me.

But posters are right, my friends Annette and Jose in Las Terrenas usually know where I am and what is up.

Right now I am sort of just floundering a bit because I am pretty well finished doing the journalism gig and since the International Office of Migration has given its word that they will continue to go to Las Terrenas and help any Haitians there get home.. which is what I promised I would do for them.. I am pretty well finished with the Haitian issue.

Which leaves me with too much time on my hands and not enough to do.

I would like to teach advanced English and composition but have not found a school which offers that - nor that is willing to pay much more than the cab fare.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions, let me know.

And a BIG HUG to everyone who posted or read or was worried... I really do appreciate this Virtual Community.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you Annie. I do think that we all are happy to see you "back" again.

Have you tried the PUCMM??? I know it is rather late, but some of the universities do offer more advanced courses. What about the Dominico-Americano>??

How about hanging out your own shingle? Annie's Advanced English!!

Good luck at whatever it happens to be..

HB

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I enjoy your posts, even though I usually disagree, somehow... I wish you the best !

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'm really happy that you're OK and posting again E. You have added an invaluable perspective and great information to the forum. Good luck in whatever future endeavor you choose. I'm looking forward to visiting with you when I get back to SD in a few months.

Aug 21, 2007
You are one of the fixtures here, MA. When you don't add your two cents worth now and then, those of us who are regulars on dr1 feel like something is missing.

Of course, we all are really glad you are back. And we are hoping this never happens again to you.

Lindsey

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I'm teaching English Literature to 7th graders at Dominico-Americano. They actually pay quite well. Any of the private schools (colegios) should pay better than carfare. If you are looking to teach adults than the pay isn't good.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'd like to encourage you to continue to write and to teach about Haiti and about your experiences there. Just one example is the University of Florida/Florida International University that is engaged in compiling the Digital Library of the Caribbean that you may be interested in looking at and perhaps becoming involved with. http://ufdc.ufl.edu/dloc1?n=dloc

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Friend Jos?

But posters are right, my friends Annette and Jose in Las Terrenas usually know where I am and what is up.

I believe, Jos? is a member here and maybe he should have posted about your wellbeing.

But then, I know that is always busy organizing some actions against the local power company "Luz y Fuerza"... (which IMO is a bit daft).

donP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I believe, Jos? is a member here and maybe he should have posted about your wellbeing.

But then, I know that is always busy organizing some actions against the local power company "Luz y Fuerza"... (which IMO is a bit daft).

donP

I don't think Jose spends much time here. You are right about his fight with Luz y Fuerza but they did get a reduction in interest rates.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I may check out Dominico Americano. I had a friend who worked there. Just that I am looking for part time work so that I continue my "semi; retirement". The international women;s club starts up again soon and even though I was never one of the ladies who lunch, I am hoping that I can fill in some time. It is lonely just researching and writing and I need to find more contact with humanoids! It was easier to meet folks in Las Terrenas but after three bad rental situations (I joke with Annette that I am doing a project on where NOT to rent in LT and doing a really fine job of it!) clearly the small community is not for me. Pllus I love Gazcue and my apartment is perfect. Just a small shift is needed, I think.

I do love Annies Advanced English!! thanks HB