Did you see what happened to Playa Grande? just been there....

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Been to playa grande this sunday - i was shoked! it is completely gone! i mean instead of sandy beach you step on huge rocks :(
damnit was my favorite spot to go...
75f5fdbaada5.jpg

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Fernandez stole all the sand on his last day in office. He needed the money to help repay the devil to whom he sold his soul.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I live here in Cabrera and visit Playa Grande every week. My wife and I used to jog it every morning. It was beautiful, pristine and totally unspoiled. We had so much fun. But we have been doing this for 10 years now and 'progress' will occur as it has here.

Playa Grande will continue to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the country but it will have a lot more restrictions than it does today. You will need to park in a certain place (not on the beach as today), noise will be limited (not today), midnight campfires resulting in glorious morning sunrises are now a thing of the past (unless you own one of Boykin's caba?as) and other things will change. It's unfortunate but since Hipolito Mejia sold it and the golf course for $55 million (and had the central bank finance it to boot) there is little we non-Dominicans can do.

Until the Dominicans say 'stop it' and really mean it we will see every portion of this country eventually 'progressed' away. At least Boykin seems to care enough to do it the right way (from what I see, they never tell anyone what they are doing).

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I live here in Cabrera and visit Playa Grande every week. My wife and I used to jog it every morning. It was beautiful, pristine and totally unspoiled. We had so much fun. But we have been doing this for 10 years now and 'progress' will occur as it has here.

Playa Grande will continue to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the country but it will have a lot more restrictions than it does today. You will need to park in a certain place (not on the beach as today), noise will be limited (not today), midnight campfires resulting in glorious morning sunrises are now a thing of the past (unless you own one of Boykin's caba?as) and other things will change. It's unfortunate but since Hipolito Mejia sold it and the golf course for $55 million (and had the central bank finance it to boot) there is little we non-Dominicans can do.

Until the Dominicans say 'stop it' and really mean it we will see every portion of this country eventually 'progressed' away. At least Boykin seems to care enough to do it the right way (from what I see, they never tell anyone what they are doing).

Beaches come and go with the shifting of sand and there was a new Beach that appeared in Sosua where the new park is and the guards are keeping a close eye on this....

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Boykin C. and his investors have no idea what they're spoiling. Nor do they care. But people are still sucking up to them.
It may be a positive for the area......and maybe not. Only time will tell. It'll be interesting, but they have already fu..ed up
in choosing the architect at hole #2 at Playa Grande golf course..

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
you obviously havent been to kite beach in Cabarete lately. At the Cabarete end it was almost completely washed away....and then that was before Isaac. Now walls have collapsed all along and hotel owners are shoring up with sandbags.

It is at least 15metres worse than last year and i just hope that it returns fully in the winter or it will effect the reputation of what is one of the worlds premier kitesurf spots

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
That was a tide thing- the beach is still one of the beautiful in the entire Caribbean. Don't look for any big time development soon, gracias a Dios and the horrible world economy. The owners are sitting on their investment doing nothing. The development you see is only a new access to Playa Grande being done by the first group of investers who sold out to the current owners but kept a small piece of the pie ( the very best) for themselves. K

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I read somewhere, but I cant remember where, that Samana was actually an island an connected to the mainland of the DR via a hurricane, a few hundred years ago.

Beaches come and go with storms and other weather phenomena, is there any specific actions by the developers that allegedly lead to the erosion of the beach?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I read somewhere, but I cant remember where, that Samana was actually an island an connected to the mainland of the DR via a hurricane, a few hundred years ago.

Beaches come and go with storms and other weather phenomena, is there any specific actions by the developers that allegedly lead to the erosion of the beach?

one more powerful reason why a country should not put its economic eggs in the sun, sand, and sea tourism basket.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Boykin C. and his investors have no idea what they're spoiling. Nor do they care. But people are still sucking up to them.
It may be a positive for the area......and maybe not. Only time will tell. It'll be interesting, but they have already fu..ed up
in choosing the architect at hole #2 at Playa Grande golf course..

The course will be rerouted too, if the project continues.
Reese Jones will do it.

But I agree, fleabag, that house is a problem..... more than $2M for it, if you're interested.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That was a tide thing- the beach is still one of the beautiful in the entire Caribbean. Don't look for any big time development soon, gracias a Dios and the horrible world economy. The owners are sitting on their investment doing nothing. The development you see is only a new access to Playa Grande being done by the first group of investers who sold out to the current owners but kept a small piece of the pie ( the very best) for themselves. K

I think they kept more than most people know.... not too small a piece of the pie.
There is 5 miles of coastline, if I recall.

Also, I think the Curry Group 'donated' that new access as a beach improvement gesture.
In fact, it herds the locals to the east end of the beach, takes away their cars and frees up the new residential area.

As someone said earlier, this may be a good thing in the long run - time will tell.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Been to playa grande this sunday - i was shoked! it is completely gone! i mean instead of sandy beach you step on huge rocks :(
damnit was my favorite spot to go...
75f5fdbaada5.jpg

Wascal Wabbitt, is that at the easternmost end that you had this photo?

New drainage might be the culprit..... huge storm sewers at the east end now.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Redoing the golf course will occur from what I am told. Reese Jones, Andy Dye and even Robert Trent Jones Jr have been names I've been told from "those in the know."

The point Boykin and friends are missing, apparently, is that the course is absolutely perfect the way it is! The proverbial Godfather of golf course design created this from whole cloth as his crowning achievement in the Caribbean. Why change what is perfection!!?!? Just maintain it (for God's sakes) and work with it. Changing it is a horrible idea and a real travesty to the beautiful designs of Robert Trent Jones, Sr.