Tourist card overstay

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
It seemed like there should be a thread just for reports about the status of tourist card overstays...since quite a few long term residents and property owners as well as snowbirds have traditionally stayed under this status without seeking any residency or visa.

Here's what the Guzman-Ariza website still says:

"A lmajor difference between a tourist card and a visa is the consequence of expiration. When a tourist card expires, the foreign national is considered in "overstay" status. The foreign national need not leave the country, but exit taxes accrue at a rate of up to 1000 Dominican pesos per month and must be paid before departing from the country. The accrued tax can be paid at the Immigration Department anytime or at the airport before departure. There is no restriction on the number of times a foreign national present on a tourist card may exit and reenter. Upon reentry, however, the foreign national must purchase a new tourist card.

In contrast, a foreign national admitted by a visa is considered "illegally present" in the country when the visa expires. Consequently, this foreign national must leave the country before the visa expires and apply for a new visa from a Dominican Consulate outside the country before reentry or face deportation. "

This may or may not have changed. Reports from consulates, attorneys, or government departments seem to be contradictory.

Please report any experiences, contacts or links that might shed light on the current status of this distinct issue...not residency or visa rules or changes, tourist card overstay status only.

Bonairelisa

Jul 10, 2012
I came here in November on a tourist card and am leaving in 2 weeks for the States. I went to Migracion with my lawyer and paid a 1,000 peso fine for my overstay good through October 10th and have a certificate to take to the airport with me from Migracion.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I just got back from obtaining my residence visa at the DR embassy / consulate in Washington.....even they had no clue on what was happening or any pending changes.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
;NEW IMMIGRATION REGULATION in DOMINCAN REPUBLIC - ImmigrationExpertsDR

This is the first time that Dominican Republic has clear causes for deportation and a procedure for it. Before we get into causes of Deportation, it is important to note that the Dominican Immigration Regulation sees deportation as a simple administrative procedure, so we are not talking about a trial, nor a contradictory (defense and prosecution) procedure, the law orders that identifying any of the causes for Deportation, Automatic deportation (Article 132) has to take place by the General Directorate of Migration of the Dominican Republic. The causes of deportation are numbered in article No. 121. These are:

1. When the foreigner remains in Dominican Republic after his authorized stay permit has expired, or has been canceled, or when he/she does not abandon Dominican Republic Territory in the term warned by the General Directorate of Migration.

So looks like as long as you stay out of trouble and the hands of the law, on arrival at the airport you may be fined (as usual) then wrists slapped, given some form of restriction on re entry for net time, then allowed to get on your flight. How strict these details will be with regards to your return? Only time will tell, as for sure most of the passport control will be available for bribe.

BUT, and this is just my thoughts on this, I think they will take the responsibility off themselves and cash in on it by enforcing airline fines as they don't do right now, but are supposed to. They stand to make much more money by fining airlines than the individual tourist who will be fined also, double taxing, genius! Expect flight prices to go through the heavens, they went through the roof a few years ago

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
BUT, and this is just my thoughts on this, I think they will take the responsibility off themselves and cash in on it by enforcing airline fines as they don't do right now, but are supposed to. They stand to make much more money by fining airlines than the individual tourist who will be fined also, double taxing, genius! [/COLOR]
[/LIST]

Please explain why the airlines would be fined.

Dec 26, 2011

For selling tickets to "illegals". For example, you can't purchase an international flight in the US without your documents being in order. Potential passengers must be "vetted" prior to the execution of a sale and most definitely prior to boarding.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
My passport expired last week but i was able to buy a ticket to the DR yesterday. I will have a new one by the time i travel.

I see your point about over staying ones visa or tourist card making one illegal so when the airline refuses to sell a gringo a ticket to gringoland they will have to go to the police for a deportation notice? Sounds like a typical DR day.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

Airlines already get fined, but only very occasionally when an illegal gets into strife, but only occasionally as the regs have not had a clear cut limit on legal time allowance in the country, so there has been a kind of unwritten rule because of this, the airlines say nothing neither do the government.
People overstay their tourist card then they are actually in the country illegally as you probably know. But because of the overstay tax it has been overlooked. Now that they are screwing this down, it is not just passengers that need to sharpen up, so do airlines. I expect fines to increase to make it worth their while and enforce the new (I say new but it is years old, just not signed in) policy properly.
If someone is arrested and found to have no legal status because they over run a tourist card and the airline sold the ticket to them outside of the tourist card allowance then they are responsible for not checking if the passenger has sufficient permission to be in the country. It is kind of like a bar selling alcohol to under 18/21 (depending where you live). If they are under age and the bar didn't ask for ID, then the bar gets in the trouble and fined for not checking, the punter can usually walk away reasonably care free.

An airline can sell a one way ticket out of the country as the overstay has nothing to do with them, they weren't responsible for bringing them in.

Dec 26, 2011
An airline can sell a one way ticket out of the country as the overstay has nothing to do with them, they weren't responsible for bringing them in.

Thanks for the clarification. makes sense.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
For selling tickets to "illegals". For example, you can't purchase an international flight in the US without your documents being in order. Potential passengers must be "vetted" prior to the execution of a sale??? and most definitely prior to boarding

I buy international/domestic tickets all the time without being "vetted". I get online, enter my destination, date, name and credit card # and bingo.

During departure check-in/processing is the only time my documents are validated.

Airlines have no way of determining what a traveler's intentions are as far as overstaying his visa/tourist card.

What starts out as a legitimate journey only becomes "illegal" only after and if the the passenger overstays- which is beyond airlines' control.

Dec 26, 2011
I buy international/domestic tickets all the time without being "vetted". I get online, enter my destination, date, name and credit card # and bingo.

During departure check-in/processing is the only time my documents are validated.

Airlines have no way of determining what a traveler's intentions are as far as overstaying his visa/tourist card.

What starts out as a legitimate journey only becomes "illegal" only after and if the the passenger overstays- which is beyond airlines' control.

You're right. Prior to online check-in, you must provide valid passport information. Not prior to purchase. Thanks.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

And so if someone is arrested and is an overstay then who he flew into the country with will be investigated, and the airline asked to show they sold the ticket within the passengers legal limit. If he only had a tourist card and they sold a return flight for two weeks then they are clear, it is down to the passenger if he gets on the flight or not. If the passenger only had a tourist card and they sold them a long stay return or a one way then they are at fault.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Airlines already get fined, but only very occasionally when an illegal gets into strife, but only occasionally as the regs have not had a clear cut limit on legal time allowance in the country, so there has been a kind of unwritten rule because of this, the airlines say nothing neither do the government.
People overstay their tourist card then they are actually in the country illegally as you probably know. But because of the overstay tax it has been overlooked. Now that they are screwing this down, it is not just passengers that need to sharpen up, so do airlines. I expect fines to increase to make it worth their while and enforce the new (I say new but it is years old, just not signed in) policy properly.
If someone is arrested and found to have no legal status because they over run a tourist card and the airline sold the ticket to them outside of the tourist card allowance ??? then they are responsible for not checking if the passenger has sufficient permission to be in the country.

Airlines do and should be able to sell tickets outside the tour card "allowance". Most countries, and including the DR, have provisions for extending the tourist card once the the foreigner is in-country.

Currently, it is still possible to apply for and purchase lengthy tourist card extensions at the Dominican General Directorate of Migration at Santo Domingo despite the existence of new regulations that have been implemented, or not, and may and or not be. This should not to be confused with the airport overstay "fine" that most without the above extension pay upon departure .

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
If the passenger only had a tourist card and they sold them a long stay return or a one way then they are at fault.

See post #13.

The airlines' only duty is to ensure you have the financial means to leave the country (return or onward ticket). It is incumbent on the traveler/passenger to comply with immigration laws.

Last edited:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
See post #13. The airlines' only duty is to ensure you have the financial means to leave the country (return or onward ticket). It is incumbent on the passenger to comply with immigration laws.

I don't think this is the case. The two do not have to be related. An option to extend when in the country, and entering the country, there is no actual tether between the two. I think they are fastening down on airlines to only allow boarding to those who can prove they have legal allowance in order. What they do when in the country has nothing to do with the airline, correct. But it looks like more pressure will be applied to make the country predominantly touristy. If you don't have a work visa, residency or whatever other allowance then you are in the country as a tourist and need to show you are leaving within the time allowed.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
When I fly out of SDQ, I go immediately to the fine desk and pay amount what ever they ask.
When I get the departure agent he takes the documents provided by the fine desk and waves me through.

?It is as complicated as that!

The fine amount have posted here in a few threads.

DS

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
This is not what we are discussing, how the overstay Tax system works/worked (?) is clear and simple to everyone.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
So I book our return tickets for the entire stay (3 or 4 months) and now the airline will be responsible for my not getting a tourist card for the entire stay and I have no way of purchasing the full stay tourist card before I come? Damned if you do and damned if you don't!! This does not make sense!:confused:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
So I book our return tickets for the entire stay (3 or 4 months) and now the airline will be responsible for my not getting a tourist card for the entire stay and I have no way of purchasing the full stay tourist card before I come? Damned if you do and damned if you don't!! This does not make sense!:confused:

It is not worth getting all hot and bothered. Just pretend you are not reading the DR1 message board, like lots of other people who have plans like yours and know nothing about this.

I have neighbors who own an apartment like mine who spent last year here, went to their country for a month and returned a week ago for another year. They are not worrying, not reading the message board, and don't anticipate any problem. I don't expect they will, either.

Nobody knows what is going on. All sorts of conflicting input on the board from people who don't know either

Why get yourself all worked up. Even the government offices and websites are not on the same page.

Remember, you will not be alone, there will be many people coming for the winter who already have their reservations. Do you really think they are not going to get here, have a great vacation and return to their homes making plans to come next year? Do you really think the government is going to tell all these people they can't return unless they get residency.

Stop reading the threads on immigration. Go ahead with your plans confident it is all going to work out.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
No, the reality is that the airline will only be bothered or concerned if anything happens to you. You can buy the ticket but they shouldn't allow you to board unless your passport has visa (this does not mean they wont), you have residency or you you have bought a return for the tourist card duration. It is getting complicated but the general gist is you will have to go in on a tourist card duration return, stay and then buy another out for whenever you want to leave. But it is saying if you are picked up, stopped or arrested then NOW they will deport you, no court appearance, simply take you to the airport and send you back. So you are responsible for yourself if you don't get back on the flight. If you avoid trouble and accidents then the way it sounds is that you will get the same as before, pay a fine and allowed to leave, no change, but there will be some kind of restriction on your return, what? Who knows?
it is basically the same as before but now there should be no way of getting in on a long term stay without legal allowance. It sounds like a massive change but in reality it isn't. They are just enforcing what they were supposed to 8 years ago.
It is arse about tit, but take into consideration the talk of extending the tourist visa by quite some, and it makes sense, just they haven't got around to that yet, but expect new longer allowance on a tourist card to come in, and new tourist visas to come in.

There is also the chance that this entire thing will fold by Next Christmas and all will have returned to normal, immigration will have met its quota and all will be forgotten. Which is where my money lies, so ignore everything above as this is theory surrounding their new regulations, but when have they ever executed anything completely and successfully?