Isaac: A Real Mess for the Southwest

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If I'm reading this correctly seems the bridge on the southern autopista past El Cruce de Ocoa has collapsed:

Barahona incomunicada: Colapsa puente El Pil?n - Barahonero.com

B216F.jpg

This could be a real problem.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
BANI.-The provinces of Bani, Azua, Barahona and San Juan were cut off on Saturday due to the collapse of the approaches to the bridge's pylons on the river Ocoa.

This afternoon Ocoa river burst its banks are ripped and the approaches of the steel bridge over Bani-Azua road blocking the way to the southern region.

Also are isolated rural locations of Villa Sombrero, La Monteria, Rio Arriba, El Limonar, and other aquifers due to overflow as the river Bani, Arroyo and Arroyo Virreina War, among others.

A large cluster of vehicles has generated on both sides of the river bridge Ocoa, so has requested the presence of the authorities and emergency agencies to control the flow of vehicles to the site.

The heavy rain in the area caused by the effects of the storm "Issac" dragged the retaining walls of the work.

Dozens of passengers who wanted to travel from both sides of the bridge were stranded, since the growth of the river blocking the passage.

Freight transport has also been affected in this area, and there was plugging vehicles in the area.

Not the first time that the bridge is damaged by Pylons atmospheric phenomena to overflow the river Ocoa.

The southern region has been hardest hit by the effects of "Isaac". The bridge over the intersection of San Jose de Ocoa to Sabana Larga also collapsed due to heavy rains. Share on FB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is more of a culvert than a bridge, the floods bring the trees, the trees catch everything else, and the river acts like a bulldozer....but the picture seems to show that the head of the bridge was eaten away buy the swirling of the water...

Happens a lot..

You are right, a problem...

Welcome to the DR, DaMe...now you have an excuse for not having a successful administration: Isaac caused so much damage.
(But there is supposed to be a special Fund for just this type of emergencies, but then nobody remembers or even knows where it is...except LF...)

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It is more of a culvert than a bridge, the floods bring the trees, the trees catch everything else, and the river acts like a bulldozer....but the picture seems to show that the head of the bridge was eaten away buy the swirling of the water...

Happens a lot..

You are right, a problem...

Welcome to the DR, DaMe...now you have an excuse for not having a successful administration: Isaac caused so much damage.
(But there is supposed to be a special Fund for just this type of emergencies, but then nobody remembers or even knows where it is...except LF...)

HB

Several provincial goverments in Canada made the mistake of replacing bridges with culverts and had the same result. Better to stick with bridges.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
information alert on this bridge.....was there this morning at 9 am....do yourself a favor if trying to get to azua or beyond to keep an ear out on what is transpiring here before you just "head down". In MY OPINION....they will attempt to "ferry" or allow folks to move "on foot" over this bridge in the next day or so....however I will be VERY surprised if any traffic of any type will cross for the next 3-4 days. Believe me when I say I am interested as I have an entire operation in Barahona that is currently "stranded" (cannot get ocean containers moved to SDQ) with operational supplies sitting on the east side of the road and a crew trying to get those supplies asap on the west side.

Also....for those of you that know the DRY NIZAO river......WOW ...what volume of water is coursing down the channel presently....amazing !!!

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I believe the bridge is back up... We have heavy trucks passing the house again, so they must be getting by somehow.. lol :) It was nice (in my greedy mind) that I could sleep without the trucks passing throughout the night.. but I guess it's back to sleepless nights.. lol :) It's all good..