Internet Dongle

Apr 13, 2011
I would like to get a Dongle that will provide me with three weeks of good internet connection in the Santo Domingo area. I want a Dongle because I need to be able to move around - and there are not enough wifi spots for me to go to - so I am willing to pay for a internet dongle.
I want to do a pre-pay - and have enough usage available for those three weeks for some websites, emails and daily skype calls. Is that possible?
Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.
Do you recommend Orange or Claro?
How much should I expect to pay?

Miro

Feb 14, 2012
I assume you mean internet stick. I have an Orange stick, I believe it was about 1000 pesos and it costs 100 pesos per day, unlimited usage ( plus taxes) Only used it in PP but I was very happy with it 1.5 up 1.5 down

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
This plan will get you started and you can add more GB as needed.

b47x8j.jpg

agw

Feb 14, 2010
That totals $2880.00 RD after taxes.

ITBIS is $360.00, CDT is $45.00 and ISC is $225.00

I need to get the same thing when I come this winter since I am trying a different condo and don't have internet included. I used the online Claro store to make sure I get what I want and no more or less. I just hope the signal is good where I'm going to be, when I'm going to be there! Always a gamble...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i use a claro stick (Plan, not prepaid) for the road since years, never had a coverage problem, not in the whole punta cana area nor higuey nor boca chica nor in santo domingo. comes in pretty handy without the need to depend on searching for wifi spots in areas you are not familiar with.

Mike

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Thanks Mike!

I'll be all over the East Coast again this year I'm sure. We are continuing our search for property to build on so it'll be really great to access the internet no matter where we are.

Andrea

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I've seen on their homepage that they offer different sticks... Which is the brand what works that good for you, Mike?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
didn't know there are different ones, I changed mine ionly once, when it got damaged, replacement been for free.
on it's backdise it says
HSUBA USB Stick
Model MF110
ZTE Corporation
CE0980
a Claro 3G Internet Stick
it is not prepaid, as the prepaid ones we used been crap on connectivity and speed, it is a Plan, costs RD$2.040.-per month.

hope that helps

Mike

agw

Feb 14, 2010
caribmike,

I know I want the ZTE MF 190 out of the available sticks on the website right now. It seems to have the best reviews based on a web search and on the Claro site itself, as it has 5 stars as compared to 2 and 1 for the other 2 sticks.

I got onto what seems to be the manufacturers site, or at least the distributor for them, and it looks like the 190 is a newer 3G version of what Mike has. I included the info from the site here:

Detailed Product Description

1.UMTS/HSDPA/WCDMA 2100MHz
2.GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3.Support HSDPA up to 7.2Mbps, HSUPA up to 2Mbps

ZTE MF190 3G USB Modem

1.ZTE MF110 USB modem
2.HSDPA/HSUPA/UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz
3.EDGE/GPRS/GSM (850/900/1800/1900MHz)
4.Speed 7.2Mbps

ZTE MF110 USB Modem

So if Mike is happy with his, we should be happy with the ZTE MF 190!

I won't be there till the winter, but if you would PM me or post what you end up with and how you like it, that would be really appreciated! I was planning on redoing my research closer to my departure date and revising if needed depending on what is offered both for hardware and packages then, but your opinion would be great.

Thanks, Andrea

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, def. the ZTE. I won't get it right away though. But when I get it and using it I will let you know.

caribmike,

I know I want the ZTE MF 190 out of the available sticks on the website right now. It seems to have the best reviews based on a web search and on the Claro site itself, as it has 5 stars as compared to 2 and 1 for the other 2 sticks.

I got onto what seems to be the manufacturers site, or at least the distributor for them, and it looks like the 190 is a newer 3G version of what Mike has. I included the info from the site here:

1.UMTS/HSDPA/WCDMA 2100MHz
2.GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3.Support HSDPA up to 7.2Mbps, HSUPA up to 2Mbps

ZTE MF190 3G USB Modem

1.ZTE MF110 USB modem
2.HSDPA/HSUPA/UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz
3.EDGE/GPRS/GSM (850/900/1800/1900MHz)
4.Speed 7.2Mbps

ZTE MF110 USB Modem

So if Mike is happy with his, we should be happy with the ZTE MF 190!

I won't be there till the winter, but if you would PM me or post what you end up with and how you like it, that would be really appreciated! I was planning on redoing my research closer to my departure date and revising if needed depending on what is offered both for hardware and packages then, but your opinion would be great.

Thanks, Andrea

Apr 13, 2011
I was looking at the same thing on the Claro site - the ZTE MF190.
I am going to see if I can get this next week at the Claro shop - with a prepay plan - so I will update on my experience after I get one from Claro.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yeah Guys, I am myself not a pro with the sticks and numbers and manufaturers and the differences.
to be honest,
when I typed the last post with the numbers I provided,
I took the stick out of the USB Slot to read the numerations and typed them ion the Posting, but stupidly I pressed "Enter/post" without plugging the Stick back in firtsly, so Yes, I typed it again but remembered to plug the stick in before pressing da darn 'enter' button.

correct, mine is sure not the newest, i use that plan since many years to be connected on the road, the last time i changed the "modem"(the stick itself) been somewhere early last year/2011 as i damaged the stick i had, so mine is def NOT a 2012 Model. if you recommend me to change it for bettering services I will happily do so, as the changes cost nothing(your contract runs again for an other 18 months tho, yes, but I don't wanna cancel it anyways, so the running time doesn't matter).
but again,
I am working online all day and night long, and with that stick I am very happy.
don't compare it to a high speed internet connection landbased at home tho, would not be the same, but it's very good/acceptable out of the stuff available down here for the Road.

Mike

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, that is what I want it for, for on the road. At home I use Tricom, Orange Flybox and now Claro wireless too, thinking about to ditch the Flybox since the quality is deteriorating constantly and this damn cap of 10 GB I use up even without dl anything, just with the traffic from my job...

I wanted to know (and very important to know it seems to be more reliable w/ a plan instead of prepaid...) what is the best stick to use since they offer 3 different. And the ZTE looks like the one to go for...

Edit: The Claro one is by far the best of the three mentioned above regarding reliability.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The company you deal with and the speed they provide are more important than the actual dongle. If they have bad DL speed any stick is useless.

agw

Feb 14, 2010
bigbird, Here is the link to the page with the current sticks:

M?dems USB y Routers

This is in the online store portion of the website.

Hopefully they will have a decent selection when you go.