moving to/healthcare/needed documents?!

whitneybreann

Aug 27, 2012
Hello everyone! I am moving to the d.r. in a few weeks and it has not occurred to me until visiting this website that to live for a year or so will need any paperwork? Could someone please clear this up to me? Also, my personal situation is, I am moving in with the father of my child and soon to be second child. His job will cover our medical insurance and we had planned to finally get married. But will being married give us what we need to enroll our child in the health care policy and my prenatal needs also? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The healthcare depends on his insurance, ask him if this covers you even though not married.
and you need to apply for residency now if you want to stay a year. You should have already applied for your residency visa from where you are now. Getting all this together takes a while and so get a move on today if you need a result within 3 weeks, fortunately everything can be fast tracked for more or less double the fee. Some are saying the window is open to apply from within, but it is closing and could be shut by the time you get there.

You can go illegally and just stay but bare in mind if anything happend, or you are checked for whatever reason they now have a deportation system in place for you, I personally doubt they'll use it but it could cost a bit in propinas once a certain PN realises you are illegal and a new income for him. As no one can say how all this will work as it is a new system I'd probably postpone my flight, get the residency visa before you go, then complete it once there and be above board and clear minded. Wandering around the Dominican Republic with equal rights to illegal Haitians would be no fun, there is the chance it could bring nightmares for you.

whitneybreann

Aug 27, 2012
You can go illegally and just stay but bare in mind if anything happend, or you are checked for whatever reason they now have a deportation system in place for you, I personally doubt they'll use it but it could cost a bit in propinas once a certain PN realises you are illegal and a new income for him. As no one can say how all this will work as it is a new system I'd probably postpone my flight, get the residency visa before you go, then complete it once there and be above board and clear minded. Wandering around the Dominican Republic with equal rights to illegal Haitians would be no fun, there is the chance it could bring nightmares for you.

Would you mind clarifying what all this means? Pn, propinas, ? and how would it be a nightmare? I"m weighing my options here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are that uninformed (I could have used a much harsher word) about things in the Dominican Republic, how on earth did you manage to get pregnant? Where does you boyfriend work?

I would certainly caution you to stay wherever you are and have your baby there, and then file for a residency visa and work towards a residence card. The process is time consuming and somewhat costly. Be prepared. Do you have any particular skill set in case you need to work at something other than being a mother?

Good Luck.

HB

PN =National Police
Propina = tip

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It used to be that the DR government let you win with a $10 tourist card and you paid an overstay fee when you left based upon how many extra months you were here. Now, there are new laws and regulations that are in what I would call a very confused state at the moment. The laws say one thing, the embassies another and the Migration department another while others report that no two lawyers say the same thing.

If you are going to live here permanently then you should become a resident. That requires contacting the DR embassy where you live and getting the proper documents together on your end before you come here. If you going to be here for one year, then you have some difficult choices to make on being legal versus illegal, what the government will do, etc, etc. I do not think that there is a clear answer on what will happen to illegals. And the propina comment was about the fact that with enough money, many issues can be overcome. On top of that, I have no idea how medical insurance companies will treat you if you are not legally married and/or illegally in the country.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I didnt want to start a new thread so thought I would hijack this one for a somewhat related question. Can a US Born citizen obtain health insurance in DR? I am referring to someone without any Dominican Residency.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i can only speak about healthcare:
you can join your BF's insurance plan and include the kids regardless whether you are married or not. however, if he is in a low paying job the chances are his insurance plan is really crappy and will not cover much. if he has a good job with good plan his employer pays a part of monthly fee for insurance.

you can get a health insurance individually, for your whole family, with any coverage you want (including medicine, dental and maternity). you do not have to be a citizen or a resident to get that. meet with the rep of ARS universal or ARS humano - the biggest and best of dominican health care providers. discuss what is it that you are most concerned about (maternity, i presume) so it is included in your plan. calculate about 100 dollars a month for your entire family.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Be good to know where he works....if he is in Senasa, that is kind of a weak system...I would not count on it getting much care.

A lot depends on which health care insurance he has.

Yes Lisagraus anyone (most anyone) can get health insurance. You pay, you are in.

HB

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Some are saying the window is open to apply from within, but it is closing and could be shut by the time you get there.

That window is closed.....I tried to file for residency visa earlier this month within the DR, was told mid-way through the process that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is only accepting applicants that are married to a Dominican and they are swamped with applications. I returned to the US to collect and file the paperwork, everything must be translated into spanish, the original and the translated versions have to be notarized and then apostiled before the consuls will accept things - I did mine through the consulate at the DR Embassy in Washington, DC. Very efficient people there - I submitted the paperwork on a Monday and had the Residency Visa in hand by the next thursday. The biggest time factor is getting everything together, the translations, notaries and the apostile can be only done via the authentications office at the appropriate State Capitals.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Would you mind clarifying what all this means? Pn, propinas, ? and how would it be a nightmare? I"m weighing my options here.

I think everything has been covered more or less.
Nightmares? Well, I'm going to stick my neck out and presume as your partner has not advised you or discussed the legalities of entering the DR that he is a bit ignorant and so possibly not in a great job, and so his healthcare will be rubbish.
This could mean you ending up in a public hospital giving birth, and if you don't speak Spanish you could have a terrible time. You know in public hospitals you are not allowed anyone with you while you give birth? and visitors in general are kept down meaning usually a propina (tip/backhander) is needed to be paid to the security to allow anyone in to visit, and then no more than one person. I just mention it as it could be well out of your comfort zone.
And if there illegally, well, that speaks for itself, there are now regs in place to deport illegals, no trial, nothing, just take you to the airport and deport you. How much of a nightmare would that be for you if because you have a new born you are not deported directly, instead 'people' are sent to fetch your child to take with you and meanwhile you are kept in custody with the barrio rats in a holding cell.
Regroup, have your child where you are, there is so much to put in place, especially being pregnant. By the sounds of things you will be putting yourself into an extremely stressful environment.

Congratulations and good luck, which ever route you take.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Hello everyone! I am moving to the d.r. in a few weeks and it has not occurred to me until visiting this website that to live for a year or so will need any paperwork? Could someone please clear this up to me? Also, my personal situation is, I am moving in with the father of my child and soon to be second child. His job will cover our medical insurance and we had planned to finally get married. But will being married give us what we need to enroll our child in the health care policy and my prenatal needs also? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Where do you currently live? US, Europe?