Bad couple of months for Koreans in DR...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Couple of months ago I have heard a old Korean man who distributed seafood and fishes passed away from gun shot. I understood that he purchased various fishes and seafood from the locals near Santo Domingo with cash. And robber(not caught) shot him while he was trying to steal his money.

Second incident was few days later and this was one of manager who worked at on of zona franca near Santo Domingo. He disappeared after he laid off several workers earlier that week. He was returning home from work and the incident happened not far from his working place. Police have found the car and there was nothing missing and I heard keys were even in the car along with his bag that contained computer and few of the personal gadgets. The prime suspect is a one of the managerial personnel that got fired from the factory but police have not yet had actually caught the suspect and they don't know whereabouts the missing man is.

And past weekend a pastor passed away from a gun shot. I heard that he ran a small church and preached small group of Haitians in western part of Santiago. I heard he have just finished his Friday night service and he was walking to his van and he was approached by a gun man and got single shot on his abdomen. His oldest son (5 or 7 years old) have rushed back to church told people in church that his father got shot and he was rushed to hospital and had surgery on Friday night. I heard the news on Saturday so I was in the hospital twice on Saturday. First earlier day to successfully give blood and second time at later night try to donate more blood. But as I arrive at the hospital around 8:30, when I try to give more blood, he passed away. Although I have never met him, pastor Lee will be missed and I have deepest sympathy toward his wife and his two young sons and his 1 year old daughter and same with above mentioned...

I heard violent crime against Koreans are rare in DR. There had been many small to medium sized incidents but nothing like this. It's been rough couple of months for Koreans living in DR and I hope violence towards anybody stops.

I wish you all well and be safe.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Who's going to be the first idiot to compare this to New York..............
Sorry this is happening to your people, your not alone with the crime here...........

B in Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am most sorry for these losses. I do hope some of this scum is found. Perhaps the Koreans need to band together like the Russians in New York. Form a small group of "enforcers" that can work together tracking these a##holes down and feeding them to the sharks...a few disappearances and the locals will understand "Hands Off Koreans!"

I do hope this does not become routine. That the Koreans are seen as "easy pickings"....and that they are also more aware of their surroundings.

Pressure from the embassy is also good..on the Police and on the government.

HB

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Im sorry for your loss. They say bad news comes in threes.
Please let your people know if they are working with cash or about to lay people off you need close protection services. ie a bodyguard. There are some decent companies in the DR.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Sorry this is happening to your people, your not alone with the crime here...........

B in Santiago

:)...................... Thanks for looking out for us New Yorkers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my only consolation here is that DR is far worse for dominicans. and often they do not receive any support and their voices are not heard. those crimes you spoke of were not hate based. it was bad timing, greed, evil of individuals.

i am sorry for the loss of those three lives. it is good that you invoked those cases here, that you speak for your people and you give each other as much support as possible.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

B in Santiago
I just wish all these violence stop.

I am most sorry for these losses. I do hope some of this scum is found. Perhaps the Koreans need to band together like the Russians in New York. Form a small group of "enforcers" that can work together tracking these a##holes down and feeding them to the sharks...a few disappearances and the locals will understand "Hands Off Koreans!"

I do hope this does not become routine. That the Koreans are seen as "easy pickings"....and that they are also more aware of their surroundings.

Pressure from the embassy is also good..on the Police and on the government.

HB
Yeah few of us have gathered and talked about this over dinner yesterday. And I believe the pressure from embassy is only way to go. I heard there's a Korean Association in Santo Domingo, we might have to voice our concern and see where it take us. And I really hope no race in DR becomes easy target.

Im sorry for your loss. They say bad news comes in threes.
Please let your people know if they are working with cash or about to lay people off you need close protection services. ie a bodyguard. There are some decent companies in the DR.
As one of the general manager in one of the Zona Franca, I don't feel threatened at all. But I do understand those who are handling large cash should need better protection and be alert to their surrounding.

my only consolation here is that DR is far worse for dominicans. and often they do not receive any support and their voices are not heard. those crimes you spoke of were not hate based. it was bad timing, greed, evil of individuals.

i am sorry for the loss of those three lives. it is good that you invoked those cases here, that you speak for your people and you give each other as much support as possible.
Yes. I don't believe it was hate crime. And people thought the first two incidents were rare accident but the last incident had all Koreans in Santiago hearts sank as we stood watching family mourn for their lost. I heard some of the missionary from Korea get supports form their large church in Korea/world but pastor Lee was not the case. He ran a small stationary in DR and spent all his earnings in helping others. I don't believe in it but as many says "perhaps god had purpose and took him at a such an young age."

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
One more thing....

I got to give BIG prop to teachers at Santiago Christian School. As I sit at the hospital all lost, I met many teachers at Christian School at the lobby. They were there to see if there was any way to help and donate blood.

Thanks...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
This guy is a friend of mine. His factory is next door to my business in the Free Zone.

The "prime suspect" has been taken into custody more than once, then released each time. Another former employee was arrested as well, and is still in custody. He's not talking.

I hope this is solved soon. He is a good friend and wouldn't hurt a fly. He has a very sweet family and also went to church every Sunday. They deserve much more than this.
With all the bad crimes or accidents, I feel bad for the ones that got left. I heard that his wife and children is still lost and they are still waiting to hear from her husband. I heard Koreans are giving them supports to help them get by this difficult time but I don't know how long it will last.
I wish they catch the suspect and give him what they deserve and give the family some kind of closure.