US Embassy Warning About Night Driving On Autopista Duarte

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo informs U.S. citizens visiting or residing in the Dominican Republic that there have been reports of armed robberies during the evening hours on Autopista (Highway) Duarte along the section of the highway that passes through the town of Villa Altagracia. Criminals typically place debris in the highway to force vehicles to stop, at which point the criminals rob the occupants while brandishing firearms or other weapons. In some instances, the criminals have rolled large tires in front of oncoming traffic to cause an accident, and then rob the passengers of the disabled vehicle(s). U.S. citizens are reminded that traveling long distances at night is not advisable in general in the Dominican Republic, and particularly when travelling through the segment of Autopista (Highway) Duarte that passes through Villa Altagracia.

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy is located at the corner of Calle Cesar Nicolas Penson and Avenida Maximo Gomez. The American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit can be reached by telephone at 809-731-4294, or via email at sdoamericans@state.gov. ACS Unit office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, Friday 7:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., except on U.S. and Dominican holidays. The Chancery of the U.S. Embassy is located a quarter-mile away from the Consular Section, at the corner of Calle Cesar Nicolas Penson and Calle Leopoldo Navarro. The telephone number is 809-221-2171.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
On Duty?

... armed robberies during the evening hours on Autopista (Highway) Duarte along the section of the highway that passes through the town of Villa Altagracia.

Isn't there a police station not far from that stretch? :rolleyes:

donP

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Well, at least the PN is responding faster to the US Embassy warnings to tourist.....

Fadul anuncia aumento del patrullaje en la autopista Duarte, en especial en Villa Altagracia - listindiario.com

This thread is really making me feel good about the security of the DR in the future. Because of social media, twitter , youtube, and other social media sharing websites, all of the things going on are brought out into the light and people are unable to cover it up anymore..

It is EXTREMELY embarassing for the DR to have the US come out with these warnings, and I'm sure this stuff is going to have a swift end. I've seen tons of videos of police abuse and it is really garnering international attention which brings even more negative attention towards the DR, which will bring change. The best part of the internet is the anonymity and anything that happens can be shared without fear of repercussion, that's assuming any of them would know how to use the internet anyways lol.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
This thread is really making me feel good about the security of the DR in the future. Because of social media, twitter , youtube, and other social media sharing websites, all of the things going on are brought out into the light and people are unable to cover it up anymore..

It is EXTREMELY embarassing for the DR to have the US come out with these warnings, and I'm sure this stuff is going to have a swift end. I've seen tons of videos of police abuse and it is really garnering international attention which brings even more negative attention towards the DR, which will bring change. The best part of the internet is the anonymity and anything that happens can be shared without fear of repercussion, that's assuming any of them would know how to use the internet anyways lol.

My heart agrees entirely but my instinct only agrees a bit. I want, with all my heart, for there to be a drastic change in the DR PN. However, as many experts have already written and studied, the only way that change can come about is if more than 90% of the police are fired. Most police officers are corrupt and either are covering up the crime, or are participating in it directly. I read somewhere that 8 out of 10 armed robberies in the DR have some connection to a police officer or a army officer. Even though there are talks on police reform, and they may get an increase in salary, it's not going to change much. Of course, I really really hope I am proven wrong.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

Hahaha! You make me laugh and want to pat you on the head like a confused little animal that knows no better. The DR is not embarrassed about being corrupt, it is one of the most blatantly corrupt countries in the world, there is no effort to hide or even disguise what goes on, it is acknowledged constantly by the government and nothing is done about it as there is no need to do anything, those that matter are doing very well because of it.
Your post is spoken like a true official, cheap bollox, corruption has gotten worse since more people have access online, not better. Carry on dancing, keep the punters confused.
watch

No offense intended.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Villa Altagracia denies embassy claim
Following a warning by the United States embassy to its citizens about accidents being provoked on the Duarte highway in order to rob travelers, the mayor of Villa Altagracia, Jose Miguel Mendez Restituyo and various community organizations have denied the claims.

The mayor and the president of a local neighborhood group, Milagros Mejia, together with other community representatives from Villa Altagracia said that no traffic accidents had been caused in order to carry out acts of vandalism on the highway for more than eight years and asked the embassy to retract the warning they made on Monday, 27 August.

They said that they would be holding a press conference on the matter at the town hall today, Thursday 30 August.

Rechazan advertencia de embajada de EEUU - listindiario.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Hahaha! You make me laugh and want to pat you on the head like a confused little animal that knows no better. The DR is not embarrassed about being corrupt, it is one of the most blatantly corrupt countries in the world, there is no effort to hide or even disguise what goes on, it is acknowledged constantly by the government and nothing is done about it as there is no need to do anything, those that matter are doing very well because of it.
Your post is spoken like a true official, cheap bollox, corruption has gotten worse since more people have access online, not better. Carry on dancing, keep the punters confused.
watch

No offense intended.

Well considering the DR is my home and I am raising my children here with no plan of ever relocating, I NEED to believe that change is possible for my country. I could just sit around and say.. nothing will ever change.. this is the way it is, but that is not the attitude that promotes change, it's indifference.. I understand maybe you feel like you have no influence here since you are probably nobody, but that doesn't mean we all have to sit on the sidelines and watch life pass us by..

I fully believe that the DR has what it takes to change it's corruptness and I can't wait to enjoy my country under these circumstances.

No offense needed. (To get my point across)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
That is all fine and dandy, but nothing to do with my response to your post.

Yes you got your point across, you have your fingers crossed for the future, that is good.

I think we all would love to see the change, for our children's sakes, and hopefully it will come about in their lives, but how realistic is change in ours? Like you I keep my fingers crossed, for all the good it will do.

I would love to enjoy my grand children living in DR, as it is, most of our kids will want out as soon as they are of age.

Last edited:

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Villa Altagracia denies embassy claim
Following a warning by the United States embassy to its citizens about accidents being provoked on the Duarte highway in order to rob travelers, the mayor of Villa Altagracia, Jose Miguel Mendez Restituyo and various community organizations have denied the claims.

The mayor and the president of a local neighborhood group, Milagros Mejia, together with other community representatives from Villa Altagracia said that no traffic accidents had been caused in order to carry out acts of vandalism on the highway for more than eight years and asked the embassy to retract the warning they made on Monday, 27 August.

They said that they would be holding a press conference on the matter at the town hall today, Thursday 30 August.

Rechazan advertencia de embajada de EEUU - listindiario.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Humm, weird. I highly doubt the US embassy would put out this warning in error. More than likely what happened here is that the incidents didn't occur in that stretch of the highway as was reported, but maybe a bit further away and Villa Altagracia officials haven't heard about it.

Dec 26, 2011
Humm, weird. I highly doubt the US embassy would put out this warning in error. More than likely what happened here is that the incidents didn't occur in that stretch of the highway as was reported, but maybe a bit further away and Villa Altagracia officials haven't heard about it.

Hahahaha...or they're LYING.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think the fact that Fadul said even if it were the case the Dominican Republic is 'still' a safe place to travel, 'still', 'still'??????????

If he was a clever guy he could have worded that slightly better without the need to lie (which is the case) just kind of shows he is a bit dense, and just expects people to accept what he says as gospel, and if they don't, he still doesn't care.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
US embassy is 100 years behind the discovery of fire, i tell you :)
i reported attacks on this piece of road months if not years ago when our friend was coming back to SD metro bus. he had stones thrown at a bus in an attempt to stop it. one window was smashed to bits. luckily the driver was a wise man, put a pedal to the metal and run as fast as he could.
miesposo tells me he had similar accidents years ago.

it seems to be a popular spot for ambush: villa altagracia, pedro brand, piedra blanca. whenever we travel to/from SD miesposo refuses to stop at all in those parts, not even for a pee :(

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
They been dropping stones off of overpass for years. We live in Maimon (Bonao) and traveled that stretch for years. Some people got blue and red lights in their grills and turn them on in this stretch. At night that can not tell it isnt a police car. The mayor is a liar, plain and simple.

Cheers