Siding with fiber ciment panels, who's done that?

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
I have to find a solution to cover 189 square meters of very ugly wall in a parking lot, time to do better than the usual chipping, cleaning, fraguache, pa?ete and painting. I was thinking about fiber-cement panels, anyone familiar with that product ?

Cheers

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
I have used the product. Quality can vary from brand to brand, be sure not to get the hybrid one with "paper/cardboard" mix. Fiber cement is heavy and hard to cut. I like the smooth finish. I wouldn't go with anything else except for stucco or bricks.

Pros, Cons, & Costs: Hardie Board Siding

May 29, 2006
I did a house with some kind of 16" x 10' x 1/2" cement fiber board siding a long time ago. The panels weighed about 15 pounds or more each and we had to pre-drill the nail holes. They chip, are hard to cut, and seams can be hard to get a nice finish on. There are newer 4'x 8' panel boards in the US that have become the standard for commercial buildings that are covered with a skim coat.

If you are finishing cinder block, look for a good paint made especially for it. Epoxy based paint will last forever if you want to spend the money and do the proper prep work of cleaning the surface well. You may want to give it a spray of muriatic acid the day before (mix 1:10 with water) to help the paint take. Be careful with that stuff!

How to Paint Basement Cinder Block Walls | eHow.com

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I have to find a solution to cover 189 square meters of very ugly wall in a parking lot,

What is it you're trying to "fix"? Is it the ugly part? Or getting a longer term finish?

If you're going over concrete it seems like it would be a lot of work to install concrete panels or siding. You can't just nail them up.

What about adding some architectural design to the wall, then doing a new stucco coat, new paint?

Dec 26, 2011
1. Mechanically fasten wire lath to the block joints.

2. Scratch coat of portland/lime/sand.

3. Finish coat of the same.

4. Skip-trowel texture of the same.

5. Elastomeric paint.

In twenty years of experience doing stucco and plaster restoration, that's what I'd recommend to you as a customer. Cost-effective, attractive and durable.

P.S.- In the trades the cement siding you speak of is considered to be a PITA. Expensive, cumbersome, and labor-intensive.

Last edited: