Voodoo Lounge in Cabarete

arnold67

Aug 29, 2012
Hi all,
some acquaintainces told me there is a new lounge bar in Cabarete, close to Bliss restaurant. They were quite excited (relaxed ambience, nice staff, good drinks) so I wanted to know if anyone of you had been there bc I don't go to Cabarete really often.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
was? its still there no? on the corner of the road going down to the beach.

but no, i dont think so. This is joint-run by Franco of Concholoco (entrada de Callejon) and another guy i dont know

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
was? its still there no? on the corner of the road going down to the beach.

but no, i dont think so. This is joint-run by Franco of Concholoco (entrada de Callejon) and another guy i dont know

I was quite certain that the two Voodoos are independent and now that I hear it is run by Franco and another fellow, that confirms they are independent from the one in Sosua.

arnold67

Aug 29, 2012
I finally made it to Voodoo Lounge last night and I can confirm what Vinyasa said: despite the unusual location (callejon de la loma) the place has a very good vibe, it's kind of "cool in the ghetto". It was quite busy for a Monday night. They have two big comfy corner couches where most people like to sit, as far as I could see. There's a Dominican bartender who prepares excellent margaritas so now I have an excuse to go to Cabarete more often. She told me they have a Facebook page where they promote events, live music etc. but I'm not a FB guy so I didn't check it out.

R23

Sep 2, 2012
Voodoo Lounge, I haven't been there yet. I'll check it out. How much is a small beer there?

I don't like Cabarette that much b/c it is too commercialized to tourist and too expensive. You might as well just go to Miami Beach instead.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I don't like Cabarette that much b/c it is too commercialized to tourist and too expensive. You might as well just go to Miami Beach instead.

uhm, yeah, uh, right. cabarete and miami beach.... same vibe, same prices, they're interchangeable.
brilliant post :dead:

R23

Sep 2, 2012
Cabarette has become a wanna be Miami Beach. Everyone knows that. In almost all the clubs they play techno music, house or hip-hop. A F...king drink in Cabarette beach is about $15 US dollars and the meals are even more expensive.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
A F...king drink in Cabarette beach is about $15 US dollars and the meals are even more expensive.

Another brilliant and inaccurate statement. :dead:
You write as if that's the going rate for a standard mixed drink. Since this thread is about Voodoo Lounge, how about their drink prices... nothing on their drink menu over US$4.50 except pitchers at about US$7.50. Their basic drinks are 100 pesos (US$2.50).

2wn9tl1.jpg

R23

Sep 2, 2012
Another brilliant and inaccurate statement. :dead:
You write as if that's the going rate for a standard mixed drink. Since this thread is about Voodoo Lounge, how about their drink prices... nothing on their drink menu over US$4.50 except pitchers at about US$7.50. Their basic drinks are 100 pesos (US$2.50).

2wn9tl1.jpg

Look man, said it earlier. I haven't been to Voodoo Lounge yet. Well brilliant lover, thanks for placing the menu. I look forward to stop by the Voodoo Lounge.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Cabarette has become a wanna be Miami Beach. Everyone knows that. In almost all the clubs they play techno music, house or hip-hop. A F...king drink in Cabarette beach is about $15 US dollars and the meals are even more expensive.

What??? What drink at what bar costs $15?? (Besides maybe Jose Oshay's, or super-premium topshelf liquor). Most local drinks are well under $4, imported drinks under $7, decent glass of wine under $5. And as for the meals...more expensive than what...or where? The most expensive item at any restaurant on the beach is less than 1000 pesos, around $25....most meals are between 300 and 600 pesos. Where else in the world do you eat decent food directly on a beautiful beach for less than that??

As for the music...techno, house, and hip-hop is what's played in most dance clubs in Miami...and every other club in the world!

R23

Sep 2, 2012
Cabarette is expensive. Everyone knows that. Places like, Kahuna, Caribian Wind, La Casita de Don Alfredo, etc...are pricy. As far as the music, THIS IS THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, LA TIERRA DEL MERENGUE Y LA BACHATA, CARAJO !!!. I don't come here to listen to HIP-HOP, eat Burger-King or drink Budweiser.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the most expensive drinks i've ever had on the north coast were in casa colonial, even those did not go above 10 dollars.
and as far as bachata and merengue i truly hate that music. i appreciate ambiance where i can listen to something different.
if you want cheap drinks accompanied by blasting frank reyes and hermanos rosario you should try a local colmado.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Cabarette is expensive. Everyone knows that.

Ok, first, it's Cabarete (not Cabarette).
Second, yes Cabarete can be more expensive than some other places in DR. But, again, it's not comparable to Miami Beach in either price or ambiance.
And finally, I'll support legitimate criticisms - but it does no one any good to let you or anyone post inaccurate statements without rebuttal.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
it is far more expensive to drink in SD.
However, the music on Cab beach is pretty awful in my opinion. I like techno and house as much as the next ex-raver :)
but what they play is awful poppy house...and they all play the same tracks! I could kill for a good night out on the beach with some different music...drum'n'bass, underground, psy-trance would be a vast improvement on 'la gente esta muy loca' played in every bar on the strip!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not understand the criticism of prices. if i cannot afford a place or think the charge is unjust i do not go there. casa colonial, for example, is a beautiful place but i only ever go there when we have guests coming on a holiday: they want to invite us somewhere special and i let them treat us :)

and true enough, cabarete is more expensive than POP (plus time spent getting there from POP) so i do not visit often. when i go, occasionally to places like belgian bakery or pomodoro restaurant i pay without whining: i think the goods are worth it.

do not get me wrong, i am as cheap as any gringo tacano and i enjoy empanada or a quipe. but to complain about a full meal at 140 pesos is just not ok. quality food costs money. plus all the costs plus some profit. dominicans would not pay 80 pesos for tacos. they either can afford to pay restaurant price or get plato del dia at 100.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is it? i will try it then. and voodoo lounge too. we have a bunch of people coming to stay in few weeks time. they will want to see places :)