More Fruit Choices In Playero

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The enlarged fruit and vegetable section in Playero now offers a variety of fruits that I am not familiar with. Before trying them, I would like to know more about them. I'll go prepared with paper and pen tomorrow to record the names of the unfamiliar fruits, but one I remember is Kaki. What can anyone tell me about that fruit?

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
persimmon

The enlarged fruit and vegetable section in Playero now offers a variety of fruits that I am not familiar with. Before trying them, I would like to know more about them. I'll go prepared with paper and pen tomorrow to record the names of the unfamiliar fruits, but one I remember is Kaki. What can anyone tell me about that fruit?

aka persimmon, or kaki. popular in spain, high in vitamin C and very tasty. similar to a creamsicle in taste if you're from north america.

Persimmon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
aka persimmon, or kaki. popular in spain, high in vitamin C and very tasty. similar to a creamsicle in taste if you're from north america.

Persimmon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks. The wiki article is very helpful. The ones Playero has are the yellow variety, apparently, from the article, the most common.

How do prepare them to eat. Do you peal them, cut them in half and scoop out the inside, wash them and eat them skin and all?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
If you see the owners, ask them if they are able to get some Belgian, or Dutch, witlof (in English chicory)

I saw they had plenty of new stuff, and it finally is becoming organized a bit.

BelgianK

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks. The wiki article is very helpful. The ones Playero has are the yellow variety, apparently, from the article, the most common.

How do prepare them to eat. Do you peal them, cut them in half and scoop out the inside, wash them and eat them skin and all?

Exactly so... but do not peel them

BelgianK

May 29, 2006
This might help although the names are not in Spanish. There are at least a few that I've seen in the DR but never in the US. If anyone know any of the Spanish names, please translate:

Tropical Fruit Photo Gallery

One that I haven't found yet looks like a pineapple but is flat like the palm of a hand.

Aug 21, 2007
Not fruit, but I was extremely pleased to be shopping around noon at Playero, feeling hunger pains, and seeing DiGiorno Pizza in their frozen foods case. It is something I would never buy in the US, and yes, I have seen it at PriceSmart, but since it was lunch time and my neighborhood grocery was now stocking it (at the same price I would pay for a Pizza Hut pizza here), well heck, I bought it!

And I enjoyed every bite!!!

Lindsey

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

I wash them first,no need to peel,I cut them in half and scoop out the flesh.
I do not eat the skin.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Lots of help with kaki. Thanks. Tomorrow I am going to post the names of several other fruits I know nothing about.

Really great to now have a source for local fruit of various kinds that haven't been sold in Sosua until now, as far as I know

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pitahaya?

Keep forgetting paper pencil, but here is one I remember from today's visit to Playero: Red Pitahaya. Weird looking fruit.

Pitaya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see from wiki they are edible. Do you peel them or cut them open and scoop out the fruit? What about what look like black seeds? Do you eat them, too. Seem to be a lot of them.

If you like fresh mushrooms, Playero has big ones in the produce section.

250px-Pitaya_cross_section_ed2.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, just like you say, peel the skin, eat the flesh. the seeds give metabolism a little boost too :)
pitaya is great but caca fruit is nasty, i think. the flesh is very floury.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This might help although the names are not in Spanish. There are at least a few that I've seen in the DR but never in the US. If anyone know any of the Spanish names, please translate:

Tropical Fruit Photo Gallery

One that I haven't found yet looks like a pineapple but is flat like the palm of a hand.

I was surprised they didn't include caimitos - OMG they are SOOO sweet and delicious, I must have eaten 100 of them last Spring. A friend of Mr. AE lives down the road, and he has a couple of trees, once he found out I liked them he would show up with a bag of them every couple of days. They didn't go to waste :laugh:

Chrysophyllum cainito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May 29, 2006
I was surprised they didn't include caimitos - OMG they are SOOO sweet and delicious, I must have eaten 100 of them last Spring. A friend of Mr. AE lives down the road, and he has a couple of trees, once he found out I liked them he would show up with a bag of them every couple of days. They didn't go to waste :laugh:

Chrysophyllum cainito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are probably hundreds of tropical fruits they left out. The article seemed more focused on Asian and South American fruits and there was one I remember from a trip to the Pacific Islands that was not included that was like a giant 30" pineapple. They also left out betel nut, which is consumed by millions in Southern Asia The now common Kiwi fruit was unknown in the US until about 25 years ago and even the now ubiquitous banana didn't exist in the US during civil war days. I'd love to find a master photo gallery of all fruits and veggies with locations. There must be some real treasures out there.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Be sure to mention Agrio de Limon which (pay attention Mike1) is yellow and is as close to a lemon as we can get !

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
yeah, just like you say, peel the skin, eat the flesh. the seeds give metabolism a little boost too :)
pitaya is great but caca fruit is nasty, i think. the flesh is very floury.

How do you know when the pitaya is ripe and ready to eat?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it will be slightly soft to the touch, like mango. the flesh is watery and is best cold.