New Expat in DR and Loving It!

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I've been spending lots of time in DR the past year. This message board has inspired me and at times scared me. I appreciate all the info.

A month ago I took the plunge and rented an apartment for 6 months. Immediately I went on a job search with the intention of teaching English to adults. To my surprise I went for an interview at a colegio and was hired on the spot. I started working that day. The best part is that it was for a job I thought I didn't want, teaching 7th graders. The salary, benefits and vacation time were hard to resist. Plus it seemed like I was in the right place at the right time. I've been working a few weeks now and as frustrating as it can be, enjoy teaching 7th graders, especially since the subject is English Literature which I majored in. I find it ironic that I found a job here easier than in the USA.

One thing that I like about DR is that there seems to be less red tape. I know that can be bad in some cases, but I do like the ease in which you can find an apt, without all the bs you have to go through in NY. I feel very blessed. My obsession with DR has paid off. Of course I'm under know delusions that life will be perfect. I'm not looking for perfect. I like a little grit. I even like taking the caro publico for 25 pesos to work.

Now I must see a doctor to get a medical exam. I also need a police report. Since I have signed a year contract I suppose I should apply for residency or is there a work visa? It seems I might need to take a trip back to the states. The school didn't seem to know much about the process. All I know is that I need the medical exam and police report. And good doctors in SD that one could recommend? Can I get a police report here from NY?

Thanks for any feedback!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Congratulations on your success. I can't help you with the latter part of your post as I don't know Santo Domingo that well and I'm not from NY. But if you would like any suggestions for teaching 7th graders, (esp. English Lit.) send me a pm. :)

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
unless the school has some extradordinary measures your going to have to go back to the US to apply for a residency visa - which means a certificate of good conduct from a US police dept, a medical certificate, a letter of financial guarantee from a Dominican National, a letter from yourself stating why you want to live in the DR, a letter of employment would be beneficial, a birth certificate, and financial info on yourself - all translated into Spanish, both original and translated versions notarized and then apostiled (that is done at the state capital of the state where the notaries signed everything)....and $125 for the application fee. I just went through this myself in Washington, DC at the embassy.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Thanks Auryn! It is very hard for them to settle down. Lol
Ill be sure to PM you in the future.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
unless the school has some extradordinary measures your going to have to go back to the US to apply for a residency visa - which means a certificate of good conduct from a US police dept, a medical certificate, a letter of financial guarantee from a Dominican National, a letter from yourself stating why you want to live in the DR, a letter of employment would be beneficial, a birth certificate, and financial info on yourself - all translated into Spanish, both original and translated versions notarized and then apostiled (that is done at the state capital of the state where the notaries signed everything)....and $125 for the application fee. I just went through this myself in Washington, DC at the embassy.

Well they are either going to have to give me time off, which I don't really want or I'll have to try to do it during the Winter break. Though it being the holidays that could be difficult. I was a little surprised they let me start working without. At least I have proof of employment and a reason to be here. Ugh but the notarized translated in Spanish stuff sounds like a pain. Oh well it must be done. How long did the process take you?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Well they are either going to have to give me time off, which I don't really want or I'll have to try to do it during the Winter break. Though it being the holidays that could be difficult. I was a little surprised they let me start working without. At least I have proof of employment and a reason to be here. Ugh but the notarized translated in Spanish stuff sounds like a pain. Oh well it must be done. How long did the process take you?

I know the residency laws have recently changed but I also know someone who just applied without issue here in the DR without the trip home. It may be worth your while to consult a lawyer and see if its possible without the trip home. It will cost you anywhere from 1000-1500usd on average depending on lawyer but well worth it in the long run as this is an especially frustrating process when handled without counsel.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Welcome the DR! You've accomplished what many others can only dream of. Kudos to you.

Best of luck

Ccarabella

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Are you sure that the school can't help you with some of these requirements? When we taught there the school basically arranged everything and paid for the fee. Talk to your human resource officer to see what help you can get from them and also try to make sure that you have been hired as a "foreign hire" instead of a "local hire" in many schools there the differences in pay and benefits can be quite extreme.

Good luck - we enjoyed teaching there for nine years before the wanderlust overcame us to go to new places; this could be the start of your international teaching career. If you don't have a teaching cert I would suggest you get one - time spent teaching now can help with the application process - and then the world is your oyster. :bunny:

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
AND I am sure you are likely to find a way to do it here , if you are guided by the right lawyer, But make sure !! That you get a few good people that have lived here a Long time to verify lawyers character !!!!!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Wow! you like 7th graders and Carro p?blico? lol You seem to have the right attitude about being here.

Welcome to the DR!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is quite rare to hear of an employment success story, good for you. Regarding residency, there were some windows of opportunity for people with special qualifications such as a major investment in the DR or being in the DR for 10 years to be allowed to work on residency from within the DR, but in your case it is likely you will need the paperwork to be done at the DR embassy in your home country which normally requires a trip back home to get and translate the appropriate documents and get the proper visa in your passport. Do check with your school to see if they can work around that.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
There probably is a way around the residency laws...

At least for a short time...

Contact HB or me by PM....

Good luck and enjoy.... (teaching 7th graders... you must be a masochist... lol)

BelgianK

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Congrats and good luck on your new adventure. You've certainly gotten off to a good start.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I would like to see what you post 6 months or a year from now.

Adam

with such negative attitude you will never make anything significant anywhere.
the OP came, got a seeked for job suiting the prior skills right away,
is happy to experience now to drive a few minutes by public Bus/Car to work instead of the hassles to fight for a parking place, it sounds like the OP is happy with the salary, so to me that sounds like a positive person happy with what is done/what happens/what is achieved.
no need for jealousy from the ones who failed or did never try.
the nay sayers firstly need to proof that they ever anywhere achieved anything with success before questioning a new Member of DR Expat society who started off quiet well.
the OP is happy with taking the Guagua to work,
who are you to question such???

Mike