Will be moving/relocating to DR soon, anything I should do before leaving?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I saw a thread someone started about them working in DR and needing a bunch of paperwork from the States, so it 'inspired' me to start this thread. As the title says, in a few weeks I will be heading down to DR from NY to start a new life with family. I am a Dominican born US citizen; is there anything I should do/resolve here in the US before heading down there? All suggestions welcomed!

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
From what I've heard you should go to the Dominican embassy before coming here.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Like you,I'm a Dominican born US citizen.The only thing I had to do prior to moving
to the DR was renew my US passport,other than that nothing.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Dominican born US citizen really have the best of both worlds.. we can literally stay in the DR forever without doing ANYTHING regarding citizenship or residency and we will always have the freedom of traveling literally anywhere we wants.. we are a a rare and obviously superior breed.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I saw a thread someone started about them working in DR and needing a bunch of paperwork from the States, so it 'inspired' me to start this thread. As the title says, in a few weeks I will be heading down to DR from NY to start a new life with family. I am a Dominican born US citizen; is there anything I should do/resolve here in the US before heading down there? All suggestions welcomed!

Are you a fluent spanish speaker? And under what circumstances will you be living (e.g., with family, pensioner/independently wealthy, student, etc...)

If you like US television, I'd arrange to get the Dish (not Direct TV) satellite service. You'll need a U.S. address for the contract. They can set the receiver up when you arrive.

I'd also arrange to get as much expected correspondence sent via email, set up your banking accounts for online transactions, and arrange for a service to handle your regular mail and package delivery.

Oh, and relax and enjoy your new experience. I'm sure you'll have a very memorable time.

Good luck.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Make sure everything is cancelled or closed properly. Just other day I got a phone call from my parents that I got collection letter from Verizon. Apparently on their record I owed them money. I had to make couple of phone calls to Verizon to investigate and resolve the issue. I've looked at the bank statements and the bills and it turns out that they owe me money and end up i'll be getting little over 79 dollars they owed in about 4 to 12 weeks.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Good info guys. Closing accounts might take a while so Ill make sure to start early. Maybe having to sign up for a prepaid for a few days once I cancel my post paid Tmo account.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Make sure everything is cancelled or closed properly. Just other day I got a phone call from my parents that I got collection letter from Verizon. Apparently on their record I owed them money. I had to make couple of phone calls to Verizon to investigate and resolve the issue. I've looked at the bank statements and the bills and it turns out that they owe me money and end up i'll be getting little over 79 dollars they owed in about 4 to 12 weeks.

Verizon is awful at that.... I have the same problem w/ them.
They never "close the books"

I must paid a "Final Bill" 2-3 times and they still chase me.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Verizon is awful at that.... I have the same problem w/ them.
They never "close the books"

I must paid a "Final Bill" 2-3 times and they still chase me.
Since I was moving and we were out of that dreaded 2 year contract. I just ported my number to Google voice I paid the final bill and moved. It turned out I only had to pay half of amounts they billed. But they had the guts to have their collection department to bill me extra $187 some to see if I just pay this. If I wasn't moving I was going to change the provider anyway to T-mobile prepaid. Walmart promotion of 5GB for $30 was too good to pass.