What happened with that criminal case Velero had going against its former manager?

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
I heard he claimed innocence, but he's not around Cabarete anymore. Were the charges dropped or did he skip town?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Mario Magnan was the manager. He had a suit against them for severance pay they neglected to pay. He won in the lower court and eventually in the upper court. I'm unsure of the amount but I think he got millions of pesos in back pay and fines they levied.

To my knowledge the criminal case was never actually filed in court. Lots of hoopla at Velero about it, owners emailing each other and rumors on the street but nothing was ever actually filed and/or proven. It sounded like more of a vendetta to me. If it were true I'd of thought they would have done more about it.

He did move back to Canada but I think he did that because better jobs are available there and since he has a child he needs to have access to better education than he felt he could get here. He still owns a condo in Velero, however, to the best of my knowledge.

gsegal12

Jun 7, 2010
The poster above is incorrect. There was an ongoing criminal case and a ruling was issued last week. To be factual, I suggest you find the criminal court records ( public ) or speak with a Velero owner.

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Actualy the poster above is correct. I have won my labor law suit($$$$$$$$$$) THANK YOU VELERO. Now if they decide to take it further action I will take action for slander and I have lots of material in store for them. Thanks to Gordon Segal I have started a new buisness in canada and its doing realy well. Meen time velero is in the dumps and are still asking all the owners for funds to support the operations. I heared rumors that they were even taking action againts there own lawyer for not showing up in my labor case.

verry funny plus I still have my condo there imagine that one.

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
I guess CDNresident isn't denying that there is an ongoing criminal case against him. Sounds like he was pretty lucky that he won a labor case because the Velero lawyer didn't show up. That seems to happen a lot here when lawyers find it convenient to blow a case.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
Well I've heard through a private message from Gordon Segal (I understand he is an owner at Velero and influential in that community) that the ruling was not favorable to Mr. Magnan. I'm not sure what that means, tho.

He has suggested I read the public files but, unfortunately, I don't read Spanish very well so I can't. I've encouraged him to upload it to this forum so the original OP can get an answer to his question. I'm only interested in helping the OP!

Hopefully he will do so!

Justice4All

Aug 31, 2012
Let's set the record straight

Actualy the poster above is correct. I have won my labor law suit($$$$$$$$$$) THANK YOU VELERO. Now if they decide to take it further action I will take action for slander and I have lots of material in store for them. Thanks to Gordon Segal I have started a new buisness in canada and its doing realy well. Meen time velero is in the dumps and are still asking all the owners for funds to support the operations. I heared rumors that they were even taking action againts there own lawyer for not showing up in my labor

You won the labor case because of a legal technicality and the corruptible Dominican justice system, not because you were deserving. However, sometimes justice is served, and last Monday, August 27, an arrest warrant was issued for Mario Joseph Magnan, the former GM of Velero, for multiple robberies that have been correctly documented by the auditors. This is not hearsay -- I was at the Puerto Plata courthouse when it was done -- so it's a matter of public record.

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Good, can't wait to defend myself and then lounch my own law suit againts the owners who have eveded taxes for so long. maybe I will be rewarded what I truly deserve.

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
Now I'm confused. So in addition to the other issues mentioned above Velero wasn't paying all its proper taxes while CDNresident was the general manager? I would have thought that came under the responsability of the general manager.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
North Coast Arena

Whhoooo...it's getting good now. (...) This is going to be fun to watch...

Who is going to be amused by this 'gringo' fighting? :bored:

This happens everywhere. :disappoin [And this time it is even true... :laugh: ]

It is just another one of those stories... :rolleyes:

IMO, time to delete this crap.
Let them quarrel somewhere else.

donP

Last edited:

Justice4All

Aug 31, 2012
If ever there was a pot calling the kettle black....

Whhoooo...it's getting good now. Of course it's also worthy of note that most of the posters here are Newbies so I guess they only logged onto DR1 to spread the news, eh?

This is going to be fun to watch...

Mr. Castellamonte is impugning posters for being "Newbies", and suspecting them of shady behavior. But gosh, somehow he forgot to mention that he is a close friend and business associate of the crook he is defending, Mr. Mario Joseph Magnan, the former GM of Velero who is now wanted (with an arrest warrant) for the frauds he perpetrated against his former employer, Velero. To anyone who doubts this, there is a business card of Mr. Magnan representing Mr. Castellamonte's company.

Mr.Castellamonte, you might want to consider the actual facts of the case before you soil your own reputation defending such a brazen criminal as Mr. Magnan. I know it's always a good feeling when one can be loyal to a friend and associate ... but when the friend has committed a plethora of documented crimes and thievery against the condominium he was managing, it might be prudent for you to limit your voracious support, before you get contaminated by the results of the case.

Justice4All

Aug 31, 2012
Mr Castellamonte,

Now I'm confused. You got involved with this topic by offering the readers some very specific information: that there was no criminal case filed, only rumors spread by some Velero owners. You were wrong. Yet when the facts concerning one of the largest thefts in our area are presented with corroborating documentation and forensic audits by a top accounting firms, you make light of the situation and call it "fun".
Exactly what do you find humorous regarding this sad situation? Owners had money stolen and someone might be going to jail. And why do you suddenly think this information is too personal?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
As far as Mario is concerned I'm confident he can defend himself and doesn't need me to do it. He hasn't been anything more than accused of something at this point. We all know obtaining an arrest warrant is about as hard as walking across the street...given the nature of the Dominican justice system noted previously by yourself.

The OP asked a question and I answered as best I knew at the time. Others have chimed with with additional information. That is what a forum board is for; to discuss issues in an attempt to bring facts to the forefront so people can make informed decisions. (I was wrong in my original answer and I admitted the inaccuracy.)

If the OP was asking the question not as a method to obtain information but rather as a method to disperse information, so be it. I didn't know, frankly don't care and as I was only trying to help (apparently unwittingly). I was needling about "newbies" because, well, we all needle newbies here when it seems opportunistic! :devious: And it does seem to me that the thread was started more to dispense information vs receive it (personal opinion).

However, in full disclosure for those who care and keep track of such things: Yes, Mario was and is still a friend of mine. I owned a condo at Velero for a few years, bought when Georges Coutu was just erecting them, and found Mario to be genuinely honest and financially transparent in his dealings with me (an oddity in this country). After his falling out with Velero I retained him to work for a company I controlled as a property manager in Cabarete. Although his performance wasn't what I had expected, possibly due to the horrors of living at Velero whilst everyone there seemed hell-bent on jailing him, he did a decent enough job overall and left of his own accord to return to Canada. He is also a very good guitar player but really doesn't sing all that well, if that also matters. :laugh:

Did he steal from Velero? I don't believe so but I am not in a position to prove it one way or the other. Those who are in that position will need to do so (one way or the other). However it falls, Mario has always been a standup guy with me and even if he were to end up in a Dominican jail I'd still bring him food and drinks...because that's what friends do.

But I suspect this court case will unwind slowly into the abyss that is the Dominican legal system for some time to come.

What I do find humorous about the situation is for people to take to forums such as this to discuss legal cases as if they were a fait accompli while the court case has not yet been heard or adjudicated. Actually it's more sad than humorous but I tend to laugh at silly things.

Personally, I'd rather be discussing more interesting pursuits such as the proper method for sock rolling in these humid climes!