Is this generator available in Santiago?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
51e71yILViL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Does anyone know if this generator is available in Santiago?

Here are the specs:

Amperage (amps) 20 A Assembled Depth (in.) 35.75 in
Assembled Height (in.) 27.75 in Assembled Width (in.) 20.25 in
Auto idle control Yes Automatic Voltage Regulation Yes
Built-in inverter No CSA Listed No
ETL Listed No Electrical Product Type Portable Generator
Engine Displacement (cc) 418 Engine manufacturer PRO-SERIES
Fuel Gauge Yes Fuel tank capacity (gallons) 4.0
Fuel type Diesel Full load fuel consumption (gallons/hour) 2.0
Horsepower (hp) 9 hp Low oil shutdown Yes
Manufacturer Warranty 90 Days Muffler Yes
Number of circuits/outlets 4 Operational volume (dB) 69
Osha Required GFCI Outlets No Output Receptacles 4
Product Height (in.) 29.0 Product Length (in.) 37.5 in
Product Weight (lb.) 398.0 Product Width (in.) 22.0 in
Rated wattage continuous (watts) 6300 Rated wattage peak (watts) 7000
Returnable 30-Day Run time at 50% load (hours/tank) 9
UL Listed 1-UL Listed Voltage Rating 120V, 120V TL, 120/240V TL, 12V DC

<tbody>
</tbody>

If anyone knows where one like this is located and has contact information, please let me know. If you happen to know the price, even better.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I think it would really help if you posted the manufacturer of the generator. I cant tell from the image.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think it would really help if you posted the manufacturer of the generator. I cant tell from the image.

Buffalo Tools is the private label name on it. I have just found the exact same generator on the PriceSmart website, but in typical fashion for local web sites when I go to sign up on the web site, there is a problem with their data base not finding my currently valid membership number, so I cannot create an on-line account. I will have to call them or most likely end up driving to Santiago to find out if they can actually get one since they are not normally in stock.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was able to sign up on the PriceSmart site after finding out that the member number includes not only digits on the left side of the membership card, but ones on the far right side as well.

Still looking to see what the lead time is if I place an order.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
well it says 73,000 on the front page of pricesmart so I guess that is the price.
<form name="CartForm" method="post" action="https://www.pricesmart.com/Local/Shop/Cart.aspx" id="CartForm" class="Flush-Form">Get It Faster
The item price includes charges for standard delivery in 30 business days. By adding Express Shipping to an item you can expect delivery in approximately 15 business days.

</form>

<tbody>
</tbody>

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
well it says 73,000 on the front page of pricesmart so I guess that is the price.
<form name="CartForm" method="post" action="https://www.pricesmart.com/Local/Shop/Cart.aspx" id="CartForm" class="Flush-Form">Get It Faster
The item price includes charges for standard delivery in 30 business days. By adding Express Shipping to an item you can expect delivery in approximately 15 business days.

</form>

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is truly remarkable in and of itself: I just received a response back that if I ordered today it would arrive by the second week of October. It appears they will need to fill a container before it ships. That response was less than a hour after I sent my request for information.

No mention was made of an express shipping method in that email nor did I spot a way as yet to request one on the web order form. I will check further into express methods.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is that normal to only have a 90 day manufacturers warranty...............

B in Santiago

In the DR it is normal to have a tail light warranty. When I load up the unit, and drive off, the warranty is good until my tail lights are no longer visible from the store.

So 90 days is a great warranty in the DR.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
In the DR it is normal to have a tail light warranty. When I load up the unit, and drive off, the warranty is good until my tail lights are no longer visible from the store.

So 90 days is a great warranty in the DR.

Good luck in getting the manufacturer to honor that 90 day warranty in the D.R.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
High Consumption

2 Gall./hr. is much for only 6.3 Kw.
My 16 kW runs on less.
That's a tiny engine really.... 418 ccm?

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good luck in getting the manufacturer to honor that 90 day warranty in the D.R.

I totally and completely agree with your assessment that luck and even more would be needed to have a warranty honored in the DR. Does anyone have any experience with PriceSmart honoring a warranty?

2 Gall./hr. is much for only 6.3 Kw.
My 16 kW runs on less.
That's a tiny engine really.... 418 ccm?
donP

The machine I need is for occasional use. I got by with a much smaller machine, but it is going on 10 years old and I am looking to replace it.

From the data sheet of the unit I am looking at:

"4 Gal fuel tank it offers an average 9 hours engine run time at 50 percent load"

That would mean it uses 4 Gallons in 9 hours = 0.44 Gallons per hour and not 2 gallons per hour. At full load, yes it does say 2 gallons per hour.

Delivery is between 4 to 6 weeks with pick up at PriceSmart.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
By the way, in my evaluation of the best way to get a generator I asked for quotes from three places for door to door shipping. Here are the surprising results to ship this very machine:

Montero $560 US
Awilda $450 US
EncargoPaq 12,500 $RD = $321 US

Miro

Feb 14, 2012
The output in the specs says 20 Amps the wattage on the generator says 7000 watts or 63 amps at 110 v or 31 A aT 220 v. With a 9 horse motor at 746 watt /hp would have 6600watts. Buffalo is Chinese make, but for 17.000 pesos you can.t go wrong

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Good Machine

My standby diesel generator is a KUBOTA GL-6500S, a very reliable machine, low fuel consumption and even powerful enough to keep my batteries happy whenever the 16 kW needs attention.
As I am getting my solar panels soon, I'll probably sell it.... ;)

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
S for silent?

Good........... and noisy as hell. The control cards are a PITA too.

But, they last forever, if you maintain them. I'd take the Kubota before the little Chinese one in the first post any day of the week.

:laugh:
And I thought the Gl-6500S stands for "silent"....

It's true, the housing is not the attenuated type, but I can't hear the engine, it's about 30 m from the house.
It has only done 867 hrs. so far, no problem with the control card.
I mounted it on wooden beams, so that it can be carried if need be.

donP

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
My standby diesel generator is a KUBOTA GL-6500S, a very reliable machine, low fuel consumption and even powerful enough to keep my batteries happy whenever the 16 kW needs attention.
As I am getting my solar panels soon, I'll probably sell it.... ;)

donP

You might want to keep your generator. On cloudy days, my 8 panels don't charge my 24 batteries enough so I use the gen. for half and hour or so. I don't want Edenorte doing my charging.... or anything else where possible.

Solar IS working for me but it is because Edenorte was charging me so much I had to do something.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Too much redundancy

You might want to keep your generator. On cloudy days, my 8 panels don't charge my 24 batteries enough so I use the gen. for half and hour or so. I don't want Edenorte doing my charging.... or anything else where possible.
Solar IS working for me but it is because Edenorte was charging me so much I had to do something.

Remember Ringo, I still have the 16 kW generator which pushes 140A into my 16 batteries at the push of my remote button... :laugh:
I guess, to keep the small Kubota is too much of a redundancy as it is not very likely that the solar panels fail and the 16 kW diesel as well.

donP

Last edited: