Worried about the safety of your food?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
127.jpg

Ever since the Salami incident, biz has been very good!

Are you worried about the food you eat in the DR?

How safe is it? Nutrition facts as labeled? Pesticides?

A lot of labs now offer to check for you and it's surprisingly cheap!

Or maybe is best you don't know what you have been eating so far? LOL!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
127.jpg

Ever since the Salami incident, biz has been very good!

Are you worried about the food you eat in the DR?

How safe is it? Nutrition facts as labeled? Pesticides?

Or maybe is best you don't know what you have been eating so far? LOL!!!

did you pay for this commercial?

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Would they be able to tell if the salami was made with "carne de burro o de caballo"?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Would they be able to tell if the salami was made with "carne de burro o de caballo"?

Yes! They do carry a very good test on foods!

The issue at hand must be that would you "really" want to find out if that stuff you have been eating for so long was this or that?

We only eat Induveca at home in the DR! It's tested a lot since it's exported to the US market from the same production line that supplies the local market...

As for the "beef" contents, in the US the FDA allows for the lowest % as that wanted by local producers in the DR now. Italian Salami has LESS beef in it than the traditional DR salami!! But less caca than the DR! LOL!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Lab Test before Consumption

I am sorry, this is another ridiculous post of yours.

So, the people in this country can only find out how safe their food is by paying a private lab because the government institutions are useless dormitories for 'botellas'?
How sarcarstic is that!

In civilized countries labs run by the state make sure that food and other merchandise conform to the law and standards, fines are heavy, jail sentences in severe cases.
[Yes, I know that there were food scandals even in Switzerland...]

Remember the school breakfast horror?
This state is not even capable to guarantee that.
It is a shame.

donP

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The best salami is without a doubt..............
Romanian Kosher in Chicago...........
And they ship all over the world...........
The rest is basura.............

B in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The best Italian salami is made of pork... not beef.

Some world reknown salamis are made of horse... like the boulogne from Belgium.

Yes, I know most Americans here will be horrified now... eating horse? What about those cute whabbits.... hmmmm?

OH, how I miss a nice hare...

But, no way I would touch the groce looking DR salamis (I mean the pink ones, which they also sell on the back of the trucks, in the sun the whole day...)

BelgianK

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I am sorry, this is another ridiculous post of yours.

So, the people in this country can only find out how safe their food is by paying a private lab because the government institutions are useless dormitories for 'botellas'?
How sarcarstic is that!

In civilized countries labs run by the state make sure that food and other merchandise conform to the law and standards, fines are heavy, jail sentences in severe cases.
[Yes, I know that there were food scandals even in Switzerland...]

Remember the school breakfast horror?
This state is not even capable to guarantee that.
It is a shame.

donP

You'll be surprise to find out that over 80% of the foods you buy at local markets in the US are self tested by manufacturers! The FDA only tests a very small portion of foods in the US and the bulk is from imports on that.

Still each year there are untold number of cases of e. coli infections on generally self policed "safe" foods sold at US markets!

The DR is poorer than the US when it comes down to how much it can invest into food police, but it's doing a good job so far as demonstrated by the latest results. Too bad the gov stepped in and halted the release of names that failed the tests!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Pichardo, I doubt this very much.

When we imported dogfood from a US manufacturer, the FDA went there and took random samples of the batch they were going to send us. We needed the approval from the FDA, in order to be able to import it.

This tells me checking in the US, and Europe is a lot more stringent than it is here.

Another example is that every foodstore in Belgium gets regular, unannounced check-ups by the government on temperatures in freezers and coolers, cleanliness, and expiration dates of products. If they fail, they get closed...

How about the DR?

BelgianK

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo, I doubt this very much.

When we imported dogfood from a US manufacturer, the FDA went there and took random samples of the batch they were going to send us. We needed the approval from the FDA, in order to be able to import it.

This tells me checking in the US, and Europe is a lot more stringent than it is here.

Another example is that every foodstore in Belgium gets regular, unannounced check-ups by the government on temperatures in freezers and coolers, cleanliness, and expiration dates of products. If they fail, they get closed...

How about the DR?

BelgianK

Same!