tricom cable tv/internet/phone special

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I live in santo domingo but it seems this offer is valid all over the country where fast tricom internet is available. This is why I am posting it in living section.

yesterday i went to tricom to get an internet connection. It seems they will connect you with internet without having to get a separate land line phone for the house and their prices were like 400 pesos cheaper than claro (which can take 2-3 weeks to install).
so as I walked in to tricom on lope de vega store (has to be the tricom store which is a real tricom and not a affiliated store). So the deal was, what ever the internet speed you choose for your plan and get cable tv with that (plan max) you will get 1 meg download free forever. I liked this deal as I needed a cable tv plan as well for my new HDTV. I liked the fact I was getting 39 HD channels which included some of my favorite channels example; discovery HD and animal channels (to see my primos-hahaha). Total channels are 275 (i think).
So with internet 3 meg download, i was bumped up to 4 meg download and 768 upload. the price was for 3 meg. Then added up the cost for cable TV and taxes and the prices went up to 4000+. Yikex, I didn't like that at all. But there was a surprise waiting for me. The agent told me to add a minimum plan of phone line (200 minutes) and I will get a 20% discount on all the services I have. so when we added up the phone line with 200 minutes and then took off 20% the total prices of all 3 packages went down to 3290 pesos (including taxes).
In the beginning when I was not thinking of getting cable TV or home line because Only 4 meg download and cable Tv was going to cost me 3800+ pesos. So now I have 4 meg download, 275 channels (39 channels HD) and even a phone line and still it came out cheaper than my original deal which I had in mind.
Now I have compared claro HD channels vs tricom and I thought claro HD channels are horrible quality. They don't seem like HD at all as the picture resolution is not very fine. You will not see any detail on the faces of people and everything seems blurry. I have come to conclusion the HD video is way too much compressed to save the bandwidth. As a result the picture quality is no better than youtube blown up on full screen at 480P resolution. On the contrast tricom HD channels seemed more promising. They were not up to pars with the HD channels you people enjoy in USA but the quality of tricom was more acceptable than claro's.
Now here is the kicker:
I ordered service yesterday and within a hour the technicians were calling me to ask for my directions to come and install the system. wow wow wow. I have never imagined the service to be that quick. I remember for claro service I had to call everyday and scream and shout at supervisors for making false promises. it almost took me 3 weeks to get a connection. Tricom does it the same day. excellent service. I was compelled to decline the connection for the same day as I didn't even have lights in the new apartment. they will come on saturday. I hope the lights are turned on by then.
So folks, this is a good deal as just a fast internet service of 4 meg, alone (by claro) will set you back close to 2700 with taxes.
AZB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would like to know how the Internet actually works with Tricom. Keep us posted please when you are up and running.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I would like to know how the Internet actually works with Tricom. Keep us posted please when you are up and running.

I have had tricom in santiago and in puerto plata. They were reliable then so they should be even better now. I will keep everyone posted.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB, I had Tricom in my apartment, it sucked! Could have been my sector and bad wiring, could have been their crappy backend infrastructure, who's knows. Bottom line, I would never use them again.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if I get a crappy service, I will take the fight to manager and have him cancel my contract. I think people who had crappy experience with tricom internet was many years ago. it seems their infrastructure has improved over the past couple of years. I will wait and see as I am not impressed with claro's service either. Every time my internet had gone down, it takes claro a week to fix it. tricom can fix it the same day.
AZB

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I have had Tricom for over a year in the capital and I am very very impressed with the service.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I live in santo domingo but it seems this offer is valid all over the country where fast tricom internet is available. This is why I am posting it in living section.

yesterday i went to tricom to get an internet connection. It seems they will connect you with internet without having to get a separate land line phone for the house and their prices were like 400 pesos cheaper than claro (which can take 2-3 weeks to install).
so as I walked in to tricom on lope de vega store (has to be the tricom store which is a real tricom and not a affiliated store). So the deal was, what ever the internet speed you choose for your plan and get cable tv with that (plan max) you will get 1 meg download free forever. I liked this deal as I needed a cable tv plan as well for my new HDTV. I liked the fact I was getting 39 HD channels which included some of my favorite channels example; discovery HD and animal channels (to see my primos-hahaha). Total channels are 275 (i think).
So with internet 3 meg download, i was bumped up to 4 meg download and 768 upload. the price was for 3 meg. Then added up the cost for cable TV and taxes and the prices went up to 4000+. Yikex, I didn't like that at all. But there was a surprise waiting for me. The agent told me to add a minimum plan of phone line (200 minutes) and I will get a 20% discount on all the services I have. so when we added up the phone line with 200 minutes and then took off 20% the total prices of all 3 packages went down to 3290 pesos (including taxes).
In the beginning when I was not thinking of getting cable TV or home line because Only 4 meg download and cable Tv was going to cost me 3800+ pesos. So now I have 4 meg download, 275 channels (39 channels HD) and even a phone line and still it came out cheaper than my original deal which I had in mind.
Now I have compared claro HD channels vs tricom and I thought claro HD channels are horrible quality. They don't seem like HD at all as the picture resolution is not very fine. You will not see any detail on the faces of people and everything seems blurry. I have come to conclusion the HD video is way too much compressed to save the bandwidth. As a result the picture quality is no better than youtube blown up on full screen at 480P resolution. On the contrast tricom HD channels seemed more promising. They were not up to pars with the HD channels you people enjoy in USA but the quality of tricom was more acceptable than claro's.
Now here is the kicker:
I ordered service yesterday and within a hour the technicians were calling me to ask for my directions to come and install the system. wow wow wow. I have never imagined the service to be that quick. I remember for claro service I had to call everyday and scream and shout at supervisors for making false promises. it almost took me 3 weeks to get a connection. Tricom does it the same day. excellent service. I was compelled to decline the connection for the same day as I didn't even have lights in the new apartment. they will come on saturday. I hope the lights are turned on by then.
So folks, this is a good deal as just a fast internet service of 4 meg, alone (by claro) will set you back close to 2700 with taxes.
AZB

Do you need a cable box for that plan?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
AZB, I had Tricom in my apartment, it sucked! Could have been my sector and bad wiring, could have been their crappy backend infrastructure, who's knows. Bottom line, I would never use them again.

anything worse than Claro is not worth having.

i

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
If I look at their coverage, it seems they cover Sosua as well.

Anybody has any experience with them around here?

BelgianK

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Anyone know where there is a Tricom store in Santiago? And does anyone know what time Edenorte in Santiago opens up?

SHALENA

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
AZB;

You are posting contrite technical data stuff...that even Sking likes...and respond kindly...what happened to the old controversial, confrontational, old AZB...that we all love????

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
AZB;

You are posting contrite technical data stuff...that even Sking likes...and respond kindly...what happened to the old controversial, confrontational, old AZB...that we all love????

OK....so whats that saying???

No es el mismo llamar el diablo, que verlo llegar

SHALENA

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Sking;

Your Spanish is very, very good......pero.. nosotros los dominicanos decimos asi "no es lo mismo lamar al diablo, que verlo llegar' jejeje.. just being a conaso

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
AZB,

I recently switched my regular digital plus cable box to a HD DVR box and a HD box for the other HDTV I have and I couldn't be happier. I have the triple-play service as well which works out great. The quality of the HD programing is very good, some channels are better than others. One of the nice features of the DVR that I love is, when you record a program/show it records both audio channels, so if you want to listen to it in English audio you can and if people don't understand you can switch it to Spanish, and subtitles work as well if you enable them (ie English audio with Spanish subtitles).

Also I had a small issue with the regular HD box and Tricom came out right away at took care of it, and they always call ahead which is nice.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, I got my cable/internet installed yesterday. I was keep delaying them because my apartment was still not ready to have people show up and wire the place as I didn't know where TV or other electronic equipment would be placed.
Seems like tricom really has upgraded their internet/cable infrastructure in the major cities of DR. The service was quick but they sent 2 idiots (contractors) to do the installation. They used a black coaxial cable running down from window to the white wall, around my bedroom walls to living room. the black cable on white wall seems to stand out and looks unpleasant to look at. makes your apartment look more ghetto than it really is. Then I had realized why they chose the long path to bring the cable into the house. They didn't have a drill machine to make holes so the first hole they found in a windows to bring in the cable, they chose that point. so happens it was my bedroom window. Anyway, then they ran out of plastic cable holders which sticks it to the wall. so they had to make a call for someone to bring them. first of all, they came an hour late. Then the guy was going to connect my TV with RCA jacks to the cable HD cable box. This is when I lost my patience with the 2. How can they connect a HDTV to HD cable box with RCA jack? Are they nuts? This will surely not give me HD picture quality. so I gave them a piece of mind and told them how incompetent they really are. This is when the guy decided to leave and get the HDMI cable from the nearest tricom office. He goes away and leaves the other idiot with me who seems to know nothing as he was only used for brute force. This is when I started to receive calls from my office and from upset patients. I simple threw the other guy out and left in disgust. Total time, 3 hours (including 1 hr waiting for them to show up.
later on, after an hour, the supervisor calls me and apologizes to me. he assured me the tech went to my apartment and met up with the landlord who opened up the apartment and the work was properly finished.
Now the good part:
The cable TV is just great. much much better than claro TV. I think claro HD channels should not be classified as HD as they lack total HD details in the video. Tricom is the only real HD cable in this country. I have 39 HD cable channels and one 3D channel (useless for me as I do not have 3D TV). The HD channels come in as clear as (almost) american cable TV reception (in USA). I am thrilled to see the 1080i video image in dominican republic. This is like a dream come true. I am amazed at watching discovery HD and nature HD channels. Even CNN HD comes in all clear. I am impressed. the regular non HD channels also seem far better than what I saw on claro or wind TV.
Tricom internet is also very good but I am not getting full 4MB download as I expected. I hit close to 3.8 mb. so let me call them and bug them until they will bump me up a bit.
Overall, I am impressed with tricom cable TV and internet. all seem good and their equipment seem far more superior to claro's.
AZB