Best security company in Santiago

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
In your opinion, what's the best security/monitoring company in Santiago?

Also, I work in a rough barrio (lots of drugs, piperros, etc.)... Is there a company that you can call in the case of an emergency rather than leaving it up to the police? Or if something happened to me, a number my wife can call?

If not, what kind of suggestions do you have in the event of things popping up?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Give Delta a call...the number is 809 226 0009 (I think)..

They are the only ones I know...and they do move quickly.

HB

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Do you currently have a home alarm system? If not, don't buy it down there, get it here in the US. I know of a really good system which is not expensive at all. The guy that sells them is also the guy that designs them: he is an Engineer, has his packaging company in Queens and gets the alarms built in China and shipped to his company in Queens. I met him , great guy, will even program the alarm for you before shipping them out.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dogs and 12 Gauge

... home alarm system? If not, don't buy it ....

Correct (so far).

I do not believe in alarm systems (although one was installed when our house was built).

Whom would it alarm?
The police? :laugh:
The neighbours? :squareeye
Ah, the sound would scare the baddies off? :tired:

Better:
Get dogs (small inside the house), large (outside).
Get a Remington 12 gauge and 00 shots.
Do not leave the house alone (= Dominican security measure #1).
Enhance your relationship with God. ;)

donP

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, As I am sure you are aware the Lord Helps Those Who Help Themselves. Walk around your property from outside the perimeter with an eye as to how you would make entry. Try and eliminate the obvious. Get a reliable alarm whether you believe in them or not. Buy some timers for lights/radio but more importantly keep the house occupied. Buy some air boat horns for bedside and a couple of other strategic locations. Guns are more trouble unless you are very experienced than then they are worth. Dogs are good if you are willing to invest the necessary time. Acira and her husband are real life dog experts. They are really nice even though I do not know them they give out invaluable advice here that took them a lot of years to acquire. Ask them about a dog that flunked tracking (fahrthund) or is not suitable for man work. If your mission can afford it follow HBs advice. Sell all you have and give it to the poor.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CORRECTION: The phone number ends in 0007!!!

Do what SantiagueroRD says....believe me, like Gospel, he knows...

HB

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Correct (so far).

I do not believe in alarm systems (although one was installed when our house was built).

Whom would it alarm?
The police? :laugh:
The neighbours? :squareeye
Ah, the sound would scare the baddies off? :tired:

Better:
Get dogs (small inside the house), large (outside).
Get a Remington 12 gauge and 00 shots.
Do not leave the house alone (= Dominican security measure #1).
Enhance your relationship with God. ;)

donP
I have to disagree about the alarm; even if no one comes a thieve doesn't know that. The last thing they want is noise. I combination of many factors make a home secure (or more secure than the house next door)

1. Dogs - load ones, specially the small ones that make a lot of noise. If you are home and your alarm isn't on, you want your dogs barking in case someone decides to rob you during the day. Happened to a good friend of mine, he caught the thief downstairs packing small things, chased him through the streets, caught him but eventually, after a few slaps to the head, let him go.

2. Alarm - make sure that you get an alarm that protects the yard too, maybe outdoor motion sensors.

3. Try to never leave the home alone; and if you have to, well, at least you have the alarm to make noise.

4. Do as SantiagueroRD said; walk around your home and pretend you are an intruder, and see how you would enter the home. I did the same and decided to put barb wires around my perimeter wall.

5. Know your neighbors. Make sure you know your neighbors and ask them if they or anyone they know have been robbed. More than likely the intruder will try again in homes nearby.

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
Great stuff everyone. Yes, I definitely believe in taking precautions and trusting in the Lord (anyone who does not is foolhardy - on both accounts). I have Delta coming to check out our place on Monday (thanks HB). And SantiagueroRD, I'll definitely take you up on your advice. Thanks for that!

9 Nineteen

Sep 1, 2012
Hello DR1.....

this is my first post.....been lurking long enough....

been checking this forum long enough to witness some good debates and privileged info....I guess now is as good as time as any to chime in.

Home Security is super important! Most home security systems are designed to provide security against life threatening events from both FIRE and THEFT. In most cases depending on which alarm you have installed and who's doing the monitoring you can be alerted just as the authorities will be. There are systems that can send an alert to your cell phone whenever activity is performed on your property. The sophisticated systems can pin point a breach in security....like which window/door in which ever room or wherever the breach may be....so if you own a fire arm....the system tells you where to aim it.......But yes very important!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Still Target

Most home security systems ... provide security against life threatening events from both FIRE and THEFT...you can be alerted just as the authorities will be.

That's good.
So, you and the "authorities" know about it.
But wait... What "authorities" were you thinking about?
Don't tell me the police... :rolleyes:
Oh, the 'bomberos'?

[video=youtube;nZX_Z3G7tqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZX_Z3G7tqw&feature=player_embedded[/video]
"Bomberos apagan fuego a cubetazos porque se olvid? que el cami?n no ten?a agua." :rolleyes:

...so if you own a fire arm....the system tells you where to aim it.......But yes very important!
Of course, and I am certain the target is not moving... :cheeky:

BTW, welcome to the forum. :classic:

donP

P.S.:
How well do you know the Dominican Republic?
Do you sell alarm systems?

Last edited: