Playa Dorada Golf

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
As a regular 'green fee' player at PD I am considering the benefits of membership. If my info is correct, what I pay for 5/6 months regular golf as a 'resident' would cover the cost of membership, which I believe is for life.

I understand that as a member a caddie is not obligatory, but a nominal green fee is payable.

I could talk with the jefes at the club but I am sure I would receive a biased opinion.

What I would like to know from any existing members is, is this a viable long term investment? Is the club itself in a good financial state? I know that several PD hotels have closed recently without prospect of re opening, and when I play, generally in the mornings during the week, there are very few other players on the course.

Are the numbers of existing members sufficient to maintian the course, which I have to say is in very good condition at the moment, long term?

Thank you for your comments.

FB.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Good questions. Answers vary. Some gringos are members, but very few. Club management, actually the club members, usually say
no to new gringo members. It's poorly managed, sometimes poorly kept, as you can see if you play there.
There are very few choices here, right? At least, get the resident's rate. If they they demand you take a caddy, argue, nicely,
and refuse. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Resident's shouldn't pay more than about $1,800 pesos, and no caddy.
Tell 'em to **** off on that. But, it's inconsistent.....one of the frustrations. Very up and down there. Too bad really, it could
bring so much business, but they just don't get it. I wish you luck.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
Thank you Sir for your comments, knowing that with residents rate a caddie, rather bag carrier, is negotiable is a plus, paying for him and his tip will save another $30 or so towards the next game. Play well.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
As TFlea mentioned, us gringos are not welcomed as members - we have tried on numerous occasions but the course management does not believe that we should be allowed to be members and play for the same costs as Dominicans. Would be nice to be a member and if you are a regular golfer than the savings would be substantial. Hit em straight...tom

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I have a Santiago membership and I play the PD course for about rd 2000 and that includes a few beers, that being said I spoke with the secretary and was told I can get a PD membership for 2000 US, I have the application but I havn't joined as of yet, I have American freinds that are members, 5000 pesos a year to keep the membership up.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would not want to belong to any club that would have me as a member!!

(Actually I have been a member of PD, Las Aromas, and Jarabacoa, but that was when I played every day!)

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Personally I would not pay to be a member there, the place is wore out in my honest opinion, Playa Grande is far superior.

But the PG future is 'up in the air' these days..... they give a good rate to 'locals' don't they?

No question about the PG pedigree....