best dominican resort

rmc11607

Sep 1, 2012
going on vacation, can i get some recomendations?
between punta cana and santo domingo
thanksss

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hotel Casa de campo..haven't been to Hard Rock, but Casa de Campo is by far the best I have been to in DR

Dominicaus

Oct 4, 2006
going on vacation, can i get some recomendations?
between punta cana and santo domingo
thanksss
If you want appropriate comments you need to provide further info...budget, kind of vacation (PC and SD are TOTALLY different vacations, beach vs 3-million city...either might work depending on what you are looking for), all-inclusive vs standard hotels, etc..

Dec 26, 2011
If you're looking for a relaxed alternative to an AI, I know a pretty cheap place in Juan Dolio. Most apartments have kitchens. Nice balconies overlooking a courtyard with mature landscaping. Nothing fancy but clean and across the street from the beach access. The people(nice mix) at the pool and the adjacent bar seemed to be having a great time every time we passed by. The employees were all pleasant and helpful. A very personable Italian guy owns it.

Plaza Real Resort (Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OP did ask for the "best", but that could be several things - glitziest, most peaceful, most luxurious, best value for money.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
This is probably going to sound like BS, but i have a 1990 Ford econoline 150 parked at a relatives house inside Casa De Campo. it has a flat screen tv, dvd player, radio, dorm size refrigerator, water bed, and two very large tempered glass bay windows with curtains on each side of the van; situated below both bay windows are smaller sliding glass windows with screens...to keep the mosquitos out.

The waterbed in the back of the van is full size; although it may need slightly filled, but i doubt it needs much water. It also has two small, rotating fans bolted to each side of the inside of the van; they're plugged into a 12volt inverter which is connected to 2 Trojan batteries. I also have a dorm size refrigerator and the flat screen tv plugged into the batteries as well in order to save the main van battery from running down and getting you stuck in the midle of a sugar cane field...where i've found myself numerous times without enough juice to start the engine. No problem, i keep two back-up batteries with jumper cables in the back.

You could drive the van down to the Marina inside Casa De Campo and park it strategically where it's facing the water. From this strategic location inside the marina, you can sit back and watch breathtaking evening sunsets and sunrises. The van is neat and tidy and has new wall-to-wall shag carpeting; i've recently had the old carpeting replaced with new carpeting so that it no longer has a musty smell to it. The van is equiped with A/C and a 3.6 liter v6 diesel engine which is suprisingly good on gas because of a heating oil converter i had placed inside the engine bay--this allows the diesel engine to run on used vegetable oil. No joke. The van is green stickered and unbelievably fuel efficient when running on used vegetable oil. i do the filtering myself and keep the filtered vegetable oil inside 55 gallon drum barrels. As such, the van is well equipped and will come with a full tank of vegetable oil--which needs to be slightly heated by a coil switch situated next to the radio volume button before switiching the diesel fuel over to the vegetable oil. In other words, the vegetable oil needs to be slightly heated to tempature before running it through the fuel injectors.

I also have a small 12 volt heater connected to the water bed so that it can be heated up as well just in case it gets chilly at night. This will come in handy if you decide to take the van up into the mountains of Jarabacoa or Constanza.

The van is parked inside a relatives garage inside Casa De Campo. i can rent it to you for $55 dollars a day, and as i mentioned, i will supply you with a full tank of vegatable oil...which is a lot more than you will get from the car rental agencies here on the island.

Frank

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
This is probably going to sound like BS, but i have a 1990 Ford econoline 150 parked at a relatives house inside Casa De Campo. it has a flat screen tv, dvd player, radio, dorm size refrigerator, water bed, and two very large tempered glass bay windows with curtains on each side of the van; situated below both bay windows are smaller sliding glass windows with screens...to keep the mosquitos out.

The waterbed in the back of the van is full size; although it may need slightly filled, but i doubt it needs much water. It also has two small, rotating fans bolted to each side of the inside of the van; they're plugged into a 12volt inverter which is connected to 2 Trojan batteries. I also have a dorm size refrigerator and the flat screen tv plugged into the batteries as well in order to save the main van battery from running down and getting you stuck in the midle of a sugar cane field...where i've found myself numerous times without enough juice to start the engine. No problem, i keep two back-up batteries with jumper cables in the back.

You could drive the van down to the Marina inside Casa De Campo and park it strategically where it's facing the water. From this strategic location inside the marina, you can sit back and watch breathtaking evening sunsets and sunrises. The van is neat and tidy and has new wall-to-wall shag carpeting; i've recently had the old carpeting replaced with new carpeting so that it no longer has a musty smell to it. The van is equiped with A/C and a 3.6 liter v6 diesel engine which is suprisingly good on gas because of a heating oil converter i had placed inside the engine bay--this allows the diesel engine to run on used vegetable oil. No joke. The van is green stickered and unbelievably fuel efficient when running on used vegetable oil. i do the filtering myself and keep the filtered vegetable oil inside 55 gallon drum barrels. As such, the van is well equipped and will come with a full tank of vegetable oil--which needs to be slightly heated by a coil switch situated next to the radio volume button before switiching the diesel fuel over to the vegetable oil. In other words, the vegetable oil needs to be slightly heated to tempature before running it through the fuel injectors.

I also have a small 12 volt heater connected to the water bed so that it can be heated up as well just in case it gets chilly at night. This will come in handy if you decide to take the van up into the mountains of Jarabacoa or Constanza.

The van is parked inside a relatives garage inside Casa De Campo. i can rent it to you for $55 dollars a day, and as i mentioned, i will supply you with a full tank of vegatable oil...which is a lot more than you will get from the car rental agencies here on the island.

Frank

Y not post him some pics of such shagvan?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
We too have stayed several times at The Plaza Real in Juan Dolio, I have no hesitation in recommending it. Just one tip take the second exit from the main road not the first going in the direction of San Pedro otherwise you have a long confusing drive through Juan Dolio town.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
37 Only

We too have stayed several times at The Plaza Real in Juan Dolio.

Don Richard, that is a long drive and south coast... :tired:
Do you know that you can treat yourselves to an AI-stay in El Portillo Hotel for mere 37 Euros/person/day?
(Feasable with a trick)

You can even drive home and get some loose tea, in case you forgot that... ;)

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
37 Only

We too have stayed several times at The Plaza Real in Juan Dolio.

Don Richard, that is a long drive and then you are only at the south coast... :tired:
Do you know that you can treat yourselves to an AI-stay at El Portillo Hotel for mere 37 Euros/person/day?
(Feasable with a trick)

Then you can even drive home and get some loose tea leaves, in case you forgot them... ;)

donP

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2011
We too have stayed several times at The Plaza Real in Juan Dolio, I have no hesitation in recommending it. Just one tip take the second exit from the main road not the first going in the direction of San Pedro otherwise you have a long confusing drive through Juan Dolio town.

Important tip on the directions.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Humm...I guess i don't get it. I'm offering to rent the OP the "Mother-of-all-conversion vans." With this van, one can go where one pleases, and it gives one the freedom to park the van inside, next to, or on top of, any AI resort of one's choosing. The van is "Mobile," and as such, will give you the freedom to roam the island in an enclosed sanctuary of leisure and unsurpassed comfort--which includes two captain chairs, dorm size refrigerator, and a heated waterbed for those times when...you know...one finds oneself in a romantic spot and the urge overcomes you.

i'm also throwing in a full tank of fitered vegetabe oil. I don't offer this deal lightly: $55 a day. And given the two choices: All inclusive hell with screaming children and cheap, corn-fed fat people from the Midwest--notably the Ohio Valley or worse Quebec or Montreal VS the "Mother-of-all-Travel vehicles" which allows one to escape in explosive style and reach the furthest corners of the island (well, the universe really!) i don't see how anyone in their right mind could pass this once in a lifetime oportunity up...you know...given the cost benefits, economy of time, freedom to roam, and the agility to drive pretty much anywhere one's heart desires.

Love Frank