Americans living in DR.

MrB

Oct 3, 2010
I have been to DR many times the last three years and I really like it there. I have thought many times about living there .I have Just a few questions for Americans in DR.
What made you decide to move to DR?
Do you speak Spanish fluently? Is it possible to live there and speak very basic Spanish?
How did you find work?
What did your family in the states say when you told them your moving?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
La Vega Girl

I have been to DR many times the last three years and I really like it there. I have thought many times about living there .I have Just a few questions for Americans in DR.
Do you speak Spanish fluently? Is it possible to live there and speak very basic Spanish?
How did you find work?

Why should you care?

More important:
How is your girl doing in school?

donP

MrB

Oct 3, 2010
Just trying to have a conversation. If you don't like the post don't answer

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
How did you find work?

I moved to the DR because I came on vacation and never wanted to leave after seeing the beautiful latino people and island in the Caribbean for two weeks in the Punta Cana area.

I speak Spanish perfectly.

I live off of a savings, my girlfriend's help and online work.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I moved here because I like the slower pace of life, the beaches, mountains are closeby and it's doesn't get that cold.
I speak spanish so so but i get by.
I live off my retirement pension and teach online.

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
How did you find work?

Spoke Spanish mediocre even being from a Dominican/Cuban home. I wanted change, got tired of the same BS here in the states. Not saying its all roses because it nowhere near that, but I love DR and wouldn't trade it for anything. I don't know how to explain it, but Freedom comes to mind.

BTW I speak Spanish much much better, LOL.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I moved like gringobachata7 because I visited the country and fell in love with the lifestyle, people, and culture.
I speak Spanish about 8 out of 10, 10 bring perfect
You can live here not speaking Spanish but I wouldnt recommend it
Everyone in the States, especially most Dominicans, thought I was crazy. My family thought DR was just like Haiti and my little brother cried like a baby (until I showed him pictures)
I commute to NYC to work

SHALENA

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No Answer

Just trying to have a conversation. If you don't like the post don't answer

Well, I did like your post. :bunny:
Conversation?
Yes, why then not answer my question? :rolleyes:

donP

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
How did you find work?

In reference to your 3 questions;
The D.R is a magical place..if you navigate vicissitude.
I speaky the spanish...ingles is my problem.
Finding work?...hum..that could be a problem..many R.d. physicians make less than 1000.us a month.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
I moved like gringobachata7 because I visited the country and fell in love with the lifestyle, people, and culture.
I speak Spanish about 8 out of 10, 10 bring perfect
You can live here not speaking Spanish but I wouldnt recommend it
Everyone in the States, especially most Dominicans, thought I was crazy. My family thought DR was just like Haiti and my little brother cried like a baby (until I showed him pictures)
I commute to NYC to work

SHALENA

I think your spanish is a solid 10.. aparte de ser un mujeron

baby bori

May 18, 2010
I concur I've seen Shalena's facebook pics she's got juice definitely sweet brown sugar with spunk appeal.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
U.S. Citizen, Dominican Permanent Resident Response.

How did you find work?

1. Traveled the Caribbean for 15 years, came here for a week and felt this was the place. 9 months later, on a one way flight to a new home.

2. No. Yes, but the Spanish is improving, just not as fast as I had hoped.

3. The most difficult and perplexing piece of the puzzle. Finding employment or a business that provides adequate income to live here is extremely rare.

4. Parents don't communicate any longer. Adult children have been here, love it and are fine with it.

7 years in and with all of the effort it takes, I can't imagine ever going back to the once "Land of the free and the home of the brave."

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
It cost less to be a drunk here than back home.........................but seriously, the north coast is green and lush,
IMO, beautiful.I come from a very green place with lots of mountains, no palm trees. This country is visually stunning. The natives aren't restless.........................yet.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have been here full time since 1994 and prior to that coming 5x a year from 1989 until I moved full time here. Much has changed. Some for the better and some not. I enjoyed my visits so much that I found myself missing it when I would go back to the US. My biggest decision was that if something happened and my spouse and I were to divorce could I still see myself living here. My son was born in 1994 so I needed to be sure before I made that permanent move and I could honestly say that yes I could see myself living here without my spouse. We are still together and I do not regret the move. I am fortunate to be able to travel back and forth from the US so that is a plus. Living here is not all peaches and cream so to speak but the good outweighs the bad. Beautiful beaches, food, people, make it worthwhile. Do I complain YES I do but I would probably complain if I was living in the US, thats just life.

MrB

Oct 3, 2010
On my last vacation I changed my ticket two times so I could spend more time with my girl. I really did not want to come back ,I feel more at home in DR than here in NY. I know its not perfect there but I can really see myself living living in DR. Im using Rosetta stone and livemocha.com to improve my Spanish.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Not from the states but some aspects of deciding to move to DR were:

Friendly people. Laid back no stress culture.

Low cost of living. Moderate property prices with condos starting at $40,000.

Excellent services - depends where in country but good roads, electricity, doctors/hospitals in many places.

Country has good economic prospects so a moderate property investment should pay off. When I moved I sold my place in Spain.

Good climate - no need for a/c or heating over much of country. Can have a pleasant swim or walk year round.

Good leisure activities - sports.

Good food - local produce is exceptional.

Good transport links - direct flights to many places in US, South America and Europe.

Taxes reasonable.

Stable politically compared with others in South America.

yapask1